shape
carat
color
clarity

**Calling LaurenthePartier!**

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there--Biiiig fan of your collection here :)

I am looking into getting a step-cut aqua, and I am in the market for an inexpensive setting--and I found your amaaaazing aqua asscher through searching here, and I see you have the baguette LOGR setting...you said that you asked your jeweler to shave down the prongs and make them pointier...I was wondering if you might be able to elaborate? Did you upgrade on the diamonds? I don''t have my aqua yet, but the price is SO good on that setting, I might just go ahead and buy it before I find the stone...

Thanks so much--and I hope you enjoy your collection as much as I love drooling over it!!! (I swear, with all those lovely colors--your jewelry box looks like delicious candy!)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I *think* I remember reading once from Lauren that she doesn''t upgrade the diamonds in the LOGR settings. She seems to have really goodluck with them. and I agree- her collection is stunning.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Alli, thanks so much for your lovely words, and I can't wait to see your own project unfold!

I don't upgrade any of my LOGR diamonds, and I was totally sweating it when I waited for those settings to arrive because they're baguettes. They arrived, and yes, there was a visible inclusion under macro in one of the baguettes, but the others looked really clean.

Also, my jeweler has been trained on "Leon" claws. I keep bringing him pictures of all of the lovely Leon rings here, and he's getting much better on the prongs. Honestly, with the width of the claws on that particular setting, if I had to do it over again, I'd have him do split claws on that aqua.

I can not wait to see your project(s), Alli!!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2010 8:46:46 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Hey Alli, thanks so much for your lovely words, and I can''t wait to see your own project unfold!

I don''t upgrade any of my LOGR diamonds, and I was totally sweating it when I waited for those settings to arrive because they''re baguettes. They arrived, and yes, there was a visible inclusion under macro in one of the baguettes, but the others looked really clean.

Also, my jeweler has been trained on ''Leon'' claws. I keep bringing him pictures of all of the lovely Leon rings here, and he''s getting much better on the prongs. Honestly, with the width of the claws on that particular setting, if I had to do it over again, I''d have him do split claws on that aqua.

I can not wait to see your project(s), Alli!!

Ditto on the split claws - there is an insane amount of metal on those prongs for the baguette setting
3.gif

Btw, I don''t upgrade my LOGR diamonds either, and I have two of the baguette settings as well. They''re both clean and sparkly
1.gif

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for writing! It is great to know that you don''t upgrade the stones!

I wish I had my own jeweler who could work magic like that...but unfortunately, I don''t have anyone I trust. I don''t suppose anyone here could recommend someone in the NYC area who can be trusted (and who won''t charge an arm and a leg) to modify that setting?

I asked LOGR if they could modify the prongs, and they said that they could probably give me regular prongs, but seeing as the stone is likely going to be in the 8-9mm area and I just realized that that setting claims it will only work for 5.5, I''m not sure it is going to be a possibility after all...

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 8:16:07 AM
Author: alli_esq
Thanks so much for writing! It is great to know that you don''t upgrade the stones!

I wish I had my own jeweler who could work magic like that...but unfortunately, I don''t have anyone I trust. I don''t suppose anyone here could recommend someone in the NYC area who can be trusted (and who won''t charge an arm and a leg) to modify that setting?

I asked LOGR if they could modify the prongs, and they said that they could probably give me regular prongs, but seeing as the stone is likely going to be in the 8-9mm area and I just realized that that setting claims it will only work for 5.5, I''m not sure it is going to be a possibility after all...
Both of my asschers in that setting are pretty large (8mm+), so just ask him what the fee will be to change the size of the setting.

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, thanks for the info, Lauren! I will do that for sure.

Btw, I have been ogling your amazing collection for the last two days--WOW, how do you decide what to wear every day??? They are all SO beautiful!

Is there any chance you have any photos of that aqua asscher on your hand from further away? And do you know how many mms it is? I am sorta dying to see what the proportion is like...

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:51:38 AM
Ah, thanks for the info, Lauren! I will do that for sure.

Btw, I have been ogling your amazing collection for the last two days--WOW, how do you decide what to wear every day??? They are all SO beautiful!

Is there any chance you have any photos of that aqua asscher on your hand from further away? And do you know how many mms it is? I am sorta dying to see what the proportion is like...
I don''t have any hand shots of the aqua, but here''s one of the Afghan Tourmaline. It''s about 9.5mm square on my 4.75 finger.

AfghanTourmalineHandshot.jpg

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
LTP/BEG - Which setting did you bid on to customize (if you don''t mind me asking)? I was trying to figure out why the price difference between the princess and the oval and noticed that the diamond weight was double on the oval. My stone is much smaller than either of yours (6.5mm) so I think I''m okay with the princess setting, but I was curious which one you ladies had so I could visually compare
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:23:49 PM
Author: Kunzite
LTP/BEG - Which setting did you bid on to customize (if you don''t mind me asking)? I was trying to figure out why the price difference between the princess and the oval and noticed that the diamond weight was double on the oval. My stone is much smaller than either of yours (6.5mm) so I think I''m okay with the princess setting, but I was curious which one you ladies had so I could visually compare
3.gif

I''m pretty sure my two were not the princess. I think they were the oval ones - and my two were for 6.9 mm and 7.8 mm stones.

Alli, sorry, I don''t have any recs for jewelers in NYC
7.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Kunzite,

I just bought- today in fact- that ring but I bought the princess version of it. It retrospect I should have looked at the store better because I didn''t even realize there was an oval version. I plan on putting this tourmaline asscher from Jeff White that I have in it- it is small at 6.5mm.

I have a great jewelry out of Hong Kong that I use, but I live in Japan so my options are limited. He quoted me at $30 to change the princess prong settings to the delicate pointed ones that Lauren has on her picture. he has done it before for me so I have confidence that he can do it. Though he is no Leon by any means. Once again this is HK so it is super cheap labor.

TML082sarahminty1210.jpg

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 11:46:18 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
Kunzite,

I just bought- today in fact- that ring but I bought the princess version of it. It retrospect I should have looked at the store better because I didn''t even realize there was an oval version. I plan on putting this tourmaline asscher from Jeff White that I have in it- it is small at 6.5mm.

I have a great jewelry out of Hong Kong that I use, but I live in Japan so my options are limited. He quoted me at $30 to change the princess prong settings to the delicate pointed ones that Lauren has on her picture. he has done it before for me so I have confidence that he can do it. Though he is no Leon by any means. Once again this is HK so it is super cheap labor.

That''s gorgeous!!! Ooh I love Japan - are you in Tokyo?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 1:44:18 AM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Kunzite,

No, I actually live on Okinawa which is a small island about a 2.5 hour plane ride south of Tokyo. It is nice because the island is sub tropical so the weather is beautiful all the time, but there is not a lot of mainstream shopping to do. So if you need anything you have get off the island or ship it to you.
2.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 1:51:31 AM
Date: 2/11/2010 1:44:18 AM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Kunzite,

No, I actually live on Okinawa which is a small island about a 2.5 hour plane ride south of Tokyo. It is nice because the island is sub tropical so the weather is beautiful all the time, but there is not a lot of mainstream shopping to do. So if you need anything you have get off the island or ship it to you.
2.gif

Oh I see! My family actually almost got transferred there when I was younger but we ended up being transferred to Hawaii instead. I''m jealous of your beautiful weather!
1.gif

Sorry Alli for the threadjack!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
LTP: thanks so much for that photo--how BEAUTIFUL! Enjoy that magnificent stone--it''s just extraordinary! the stone I''m looking at right now is 9.88mm and I have a size 5, so that helps a lot...though the more I think about it, the more concerned I am about the chunkiness of the setting without any "help" from a jeweler...I am now thinking more along the lines of this setting from James Allen
Wire Basket Setting

It''ll be the (reeeally) poor man''s version of Ellen''s gorgeous Leon...can I get opinions on that?

Kunzite: beautiful stone! I can''t wait to see it set!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 10:59:29 AM
LTP: thanks so much for that photo--how BEAUTIFUL! Enjoy that magnificent stone--it''s just extraordinary! the stone I''m looking at right now is 9.88mm and I have a size 5, so that helps a lot...though the more I think about it, the more concerned I am about the chunkiness of the setting without any ''help'' from a jeweler...I am now thinking more along the lines of this setting from James Allen
Wire Basket Setting

It''ll be the (reeeally) poor man''s version of Ellen''s gorgeous Leon...can I get opinions on that?

Kunzite: beautiful stone! I can''t wait to see it set!!
You know, I absolutely adore solitaire settings for asscher aquas. I almost put mine in this setting from WF; http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/-Full-of-Surprises--Solitaire-Engagement-Ring_1434.htm

I absolutely love the setting from James Allen, especially because I think a large asscher is MEANT to have split claw prongs, and JA could easily do that. But I was wondering; have you considered a bezel?

I wonder what the customization cost would be for this setting; http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Rings-11/JENR-8958-1876.html

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kunzite,

Sarah - this is a GORGEOUS tourmaline!!!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
LTP: I love the solitaires too--the WF setting is so lovely, I was just looking at it myself...but it is a bit over my price limit, and with such a large stone, I''m pretty sure the customizing price would be WAY more than the $595 it normally goes for...

I do love bezel settings (especially some of yours!!!), but I just had something else in mind for this particular project (though I will DEFINITELY want a JM bezel one of these days when I win the lottery, hehehe)...

So you''d think the JA setting would be good for the aqua? I asked them and they did say that it could be customized to accommodate the larger stone...btw, here''s the aqua Dan is sending to me today! (My first colored stone purchase!)

any input on the stone and/or setting is welcome!

Aqua--Dan Stair.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 2:15:52 PM
LTP: I love the solitaires too--the WF setting is so lovely, I was just looking at it myself...but it is a bit over my price limit, and with such a large stone, I''m pretty sure the customizing price would be WAY more than the $595 it normally goes for...

I do love bezel settings (especially some of yours!!!), but I just had something else in mind for this particular project (though I will DEFINITELY want a JM bezel one of these days when I win the lottery, hehehe)...

So you''d think the JA setting would be good for the aqua? I asked them and they did say that it could be customized to accommodate the larger stone...btw, here''s the aqua Dan is sending to me today! (My first colored stone purchase!)

any input on the stone and/or setting is welcome!
Yay! Congrats on your first coloured stone purchase!

I love Dan - he''s so nice. The aqua looks like it may be picking up some of the background colour, so I''d wait to comment on colour until you get it and see it in person. You''ll soon find that pics of stones and IRL viewing them are two different beasts.
9.gif

I think it will look lovely in that JA setting, and hopefully customization won''t be too expensive. I can''t wait til you get your hands on it!

alli_esq

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, I totally agree that I have to wait to see the color before I make an absolute determination, but it looks like exactly the cut I wanted
1.gif

Dan does seem great! I probably won''t get the aqua until at least next week when I visit my folks (I have to have it sent to them), but I will let all of you know at that point what I think (and if I can take some photos, I will...though I still owe photos from my replacement e-ring that I got back in October...::hangs head in shame
5.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your first colored stone purchase!!! It looks like a really cool cut. And Dan Stair is a good cutter.

Let us know what you think of the color when you get it!! As for the setting I like basket settings but I always like to see the stone and play with it for a while before I commit to a setting.

TFS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results