shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling kribbie.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Where about in SA are you?

I will be in Cape Town beginning of Feb. and am interested to know if you have an address of a reputable gem dealer/s in Cape Town.

PS: I have read about your great find! Congrats! This is not about finding some great deal, just interested to look or buy some tanzanites or african gems in SA. I can''t get to see gems IRL only in vendors websites, so thought it would be a great opportunity for me to look at gems first hand!

Thanks in advance!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
I live in Johannesburg, but I know that ANPA jewellers have two stores in the Cape Town area and are very reputable. I have bought tanzanites from them before, they are all certified etc. They sell loose stones and beautiful jewellery. They are also registered with all the relevant jewellery associations etc in South Africa. Definitely worth a visit.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
kribbie, thanks for responding!

Do you have the addresses for ANPA Jewellers? I am not familiar with getting my way around Cape Town besides I am not allowed to travel on my own so a driver will be at my disposal. It would probably be easier to give the driver an address.

ETA: Just googled, found the address!
1.gif
Thanks so much for your input!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Have a great time Megeve! Stay safe and report back -ok?

35.gif
35.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gailey, am glad that you are home safely! Hope you had a relaxing zen time in DR despite the tragic catastrophe in the neighbouring country. Heard on the news today that international help has finally landed there but still having difficulties to reach the needy. Prayer going out to the needy that help reaches them soon!

Thanks, will certainly check in when and if I find a 'huge' tanzanite!
31.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry... blonde moment. I forgot about some of the stores in the V&A Waterfront.
Two more stores you can consider visiting are
Uwe Koetter:
Shop 14,
V&A Waterfront
Cape Town

and
CHRISTOFF:
Shop 7217,
V&A Waterfront
Cape Town

They sell certified tanzanites and are both reputable.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks kribbie, you are such a darling!
36.gif

I have seen Uwe Koetters store in Arabella Hotel last year but in that store they have only 4 loose stones and they gave me their address in cape town in Amway House. Nice to know they also have a store at the waterfront, thats where I hang out most of the time.
3.gif
I will certainly check out Christoff!

Btw, I will also be in Johannesburg in June '10, any tip for gemstores there?

ETA: Another question: How is the pricing in SA? Is it higher or lower than in USA or Europe?

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Arabella is great, I spent two weeks there in December. Gotta work on my golf.
9.gif

But yes, that Uwe Koetter store is TINY.

Do you visit SA often?

I find that prices here are generally much lower than the US or UK.
That said, tanzanite prices seem to have shot up recently. It is the second most popular stone here (diamonds first obviously), and every second girl has a tanzanite e-ring these days.
I would stick with the high-end jewelery stores (the ones I have mentioned, but there are more, such as Charles Greig and Emanuels, both in Sandton City, Johannesburg). I have visited a few others, but finding really good quality can be difficult. You can try Maria''s gems. I have discovered a few really nice ones there, but the prices are a bit too low, and that makes me suspicious.
163 Clifford Road
Murrayfield Ext.1
Pretoria (Pretoria is about 45 minutes drive from Johannesburg)
The Gem Hunter is another place you can try. I saw a few of his stones at a gem show last year, and he''s definitely reputable and has some really great stuff!
The problem is that I''m not sure where he is situated, his SA website hasn''t been up and running and I haven''t been able to reach him via phone but perhaps you could contact him via e-mail?
//www.gemhunter.co.uk/index.php?pr=Home_Page

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
And... (saving the best for last). If it''s tanzanite you are after, this is where you want to go FIRST:

Shop U76B
Upper Level
Sandton City
Sandton
Johannesburg

and

Shop 118
Upper level
The Clock Tower
V&A Waterfront
Cape Town

An ENTIRE store dedicated to the most beautiful tanzanites you can imagine.
ENJOY!
2.gif

panorama2.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Hey Megeve

Lapigems is not in South Africa, they are in Kenya (Nairobi), I thought they were in SA. They do seem to have large Tanzanite. How big is big?

Gems of East Africa have some pretty big tanzanites too.

Lapigems have been mentioned on PS before, although I can''t remember if anyone ordered from them. No idea at all about Gems of East Africa, they just came up on a search at some point.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Tanzanite International in Sandton is lovely. Cheap, not so much, but it''s the best selection around if you want to see the stones in your hand. Colour in Tanzanite is very variable and if you''re spending bucks, you want exactly the right thing.

I would NOT have the jewellery made there, though. Take the stone to a proper goldsmith.

BTW - I wouldn''t recommend any Tanz larger than about 3cts in a ring. The bigger they get, the more likely they are to be damaged in a ring even with a protective setting.

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 12:11:40 PM
Author: kribbie

Arabella is great, I spent two weeks there in December. Gotta work on my golf.
9.gif

But yes, that Uwe Koetter store is TINY.
Yah, Arabella is great! I love the course, beautifully maintained! We were also at Pezula for a few days, view was magnificent! Me too, gotta to train for this golf season!
9.gif

Do you visit SA often?
Yes, I have been visiting since 1998. DH has to work for a few days then we extend another 10 alternating between golfing and safari trips. This year is golfing again first staying at Franschhoek, golfing at Pearl Valley & Erinvale and then on to Arabella again!
3.gif
I have so far not ventured into gems when we were in SA. Last year was the first time at UKoetter where I have seen these 4 stones and one of these was a yellow sapphire and it was beautiful and so sparkly. But as I have no idea what questions to ask and whether its real or fake. I let it go! Now I know UKoetter is a reputable company!
1.gif

I find that prices here are generally much lower than the US or UK.
That said, tanzanite prices seem to have shot up recently. It is the second most popular stone here (diamonds first obviously), and every second girl has a tanzanite e-ring these days.
I would stick with the high-end jewelery stores (the ones I have mentioned, but there are more, such as Charles Greig and Emanuels, both in Sandton City, Johannesburg). I have visited a few others, but finding really good quality can be difficult. You can try Maria''s gems. I have discovered a few really nice ones there, but the prices are a bit too low, and that makes me suspicious.
163 Clifford Road
Murrayfield Ext.1
Pretoria (Pretoria is about 45 minutes drive from Johannesburg)

The Gem Hunter is another place you can try. I saw a few of his stones at a gem show last year, and he''s definitely reputable and has some really great stuff!
The problem is that I''m not sure where he is situated, his SA website hasn''t been up and running and I haven''t been able to reach him via phone but perhaps you could contact him via e-mail?

//www.gemhunter.co.uk/index.php?pr=Home_Page
Thanks for the heads up in pricing! Will certainly check these up when we are there in June. We are also looking forward to see some live World cup football matches. Hope your country is getting a good grip on these football events. It will need a massive organizing talent, not to forget security for these matches! Am crossing my fingers for you guys!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 12:17:54 PM
And... (saving the best for last). If it''s tanzanite you are after, this is where you want to go FIRST:

Shop U76B
Upper Level
Sandton City
Sandton
Johannesburg

and

Shop 118
Upper level
The Clock Tower
V&A Waterfront
Cape Town

An ENTIRE store dedicated to the most beautiful tanzanites you can imagine.
ENJOY!
2.gif
Thanks kribbie! What about other gems beside tanzanites? Do you find also other african gemstones too in SA?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 12:44:46 PM
Author: Gailey
Hey Megeve

Lapigems is not in South Africa, they are in Kenya (Nairobi), I thought they were in SA. They do seem to have large Tanzanite. How big is big?

Gems of East Africa have some pretty big tanzanites too.

Lapigems have been mentioned on PS before, although I can''t remember if anyone ordered from them. No idea at all about Gems of East Africa, they just came up on a search at some point.
Hi Gailey, thanks for checking in! Let me put it this way, I am just going to test my foot by getting it wet and if I didn''t like what I see, I am not getting any! I am not an impulsive buyer, I have to like and know I have some use for ''whatever'' before I buy. That being said, I would love to look at some gems in IRL to get a feel for them and if I end up seeing some gorgeous stone, I WILL hit!
9.gif
Wish me luck!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2010 12:58:18 PM
Author: lelser
Tanzanite International in Sandton is lovely. Cheap, not so much, but it''s the best selection around if you want to see the stones in your hand. Colour in Tanzanite is very variable and if you''re spending bucks, you want exactly the right thing.

I would NOT have the jewellery made there, though. Take the stone to a proper goldsmith.

BTW - I wouldn''t recommend any Tanz larger than about 3cts in a ring. The bigger they get, the more likely they are to be damaged in a ring even with a protective setting.
Lelser, thanks for the heads up on size! I will take note of it! So far, the tanzanite I have seen in the big stores at the waterfront were too purple and hardly any blue. I didn''t like the color. I met up with a lady last year when we were at Arabella, she bought a ''3ct+'' tanzanite ring and it was just a dark black stone
14.gif
I do need to see the stones IRL.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! The World Cup is going to be insane and to be honest I''m concerned about the safety of tourists. Our government is barely doing anything about the violent crime here when it comes to citizens, let alone tourists! The other day I saw a news report about crime syndicates preparing for tourists to come flooding in.
38.gif
Sometimes I really hate this country. But if you are street wise and you don''t make yourself a target you should be fine. I think the main problem is that tourists often draw attention to themselves or put themselves in dangerous situations without realising it, for example by going on hikes in small groups etc.

I think you should go to Tanzanite International first and then to the Anpa store in Kalk Bay. They have a selection of Opals, Emeralds, Sapphires, Garnets etc and I think that would be your best bet for a wider selection of African gems.
1.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Megeve,

I had a spare 4 hours today
emwink.gif
So I sat down and went through Constantin Wild''s site. I thought I might happen across a sapphire cab for you. I didn''t but he does have good looking tanzanite. Some are virtually the size of house bricks! Some nice pairs as well. Not that I am trying to enable you further of course ..........

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/24/2010 6:41:05 AM
Thanks! The World Cup is going to be insane and to be honest I''m concerned about the safety of tourists. Our government is barely doing anything about the violent crime here when it comes to citizens, let alone tourists! The other day I saw a news report about crime syndicates preparing for tourists to come flooding in.
38.gif
Sometimes I really hate this country. But if you are street wise and you don''t make yourself a target you should be fine. I think the main problem is that tourists often draw attention to themselves or put themselves in dangerous situations without realising it, for example by going on hikes in small groups etc.

I think you should go to Tanzanite International first and then to the Anpa store in Kalk Bay. They have a selection of Opals, Emeralds, Sapphires, Garnets etc and I think that would be your best bet for a wider selection of African gems.
1.gif
Thanks, kribbie!

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2010 5:27:03 PM
Author: Gailey
Megeve,

I had a spare 4 hours today
emwink.gif
So I sat down and went through Constantin Wild's site. I thought I might happen across a sapphire cab for you. I didn't but he does have good looking tanzanite. Some are virtually the size of house bricks! Some nice pairs as well. Not that I am trying to enable you further of course ..........
Ooooh, Gailey you are a sweetheart! ((Hugs!))

(sigh) I know CWs site is difficult to navigate, I will check their site again when I have a bit more time after this move and after SA.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I was sort of joking about the 4 hours, but it did take me a good 20 minutes to go from start to finish!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results