carat
color
clarity

Calling @Kenny...Q about watercolor paper

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kenny!
You recently said that you stretch your watercolor paper to eliminate buckling.
I was hoping you could explain how you do it, because I'm not having success with this.

I've done this twice recently, and the paper still buckles and curls up.
I am using Arches 140 lb. paper. I have the paper on the block, and it resists buckling because of the glued edges, of course. I have always used the block, till now.
But because I'm cheap, I purchased Arches 140lb. paper in a pad, 9x12, as it was a little less expensive.
This is the paper I'm having trouble with.

The first time I tried it, I thought that I didn't get the paper wet enough, as I just brushed it on both sides with water.

So this time, I soaked the paper in a pan for about 5 minutes, till it was limp and heavy with water. Then I pressed it flat, sponged off the excess, and taped it down with gummed paper tape on a flat surface. I used a piece of frosted picture glass that the tape would adhere to.
I let this dry over night.

It looked so great and super flat this morning.
I scored the tape, and removed it from the glass with an exacto knife.
Then I painted on it, and it still stayed nice and flat. I was so happy.
Then I walked out of the room, came back, and the paper had curled up anyway.

What am I doing wrong?

If any other PSers work in watercolor, I'd appreciate your input as well!

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000 I haven't painted in 15 years or so, and now old age is gradually gobbling up my memory.

Give me some time to take some pics and try to find my notes (don't hold your breath LOL).
But here's a quick response to something that stands out from your post ...

After you soak the paper, and tape it to your board, you leave the paper taped to the board while you paint.
Removing it from the board defeats the purpose of stretching it.
You only remove it from the board when you're certain the painting is 100% finished.

FWIW, I don't use a glass board.
I use a water-resistant very high-quality plywood board (from Finland IIRC) that has been sanded smooth and finished with a spray finish to make it pretty waterproof.
I forget what exactly the spray was, lacquer, or urethane or polyester, something.
Also I don't remember how long I soaked the paper.

This is what I learned in the two watercolor classes I took at a local Community College back in 2003 or so.
I have no idea if a glass board is better than the plywood.

Since many students are on tight budgets perhaps glass is better, but more expensive than plywood.
If I used glass I'd definitely go with with thick tempered glass for safety.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Arches blocks are wonderful since you don't have to stretch them, but pricey.
Of course with a block you also do not remove the top sheet till your painting is finished.

Instead of a pad, I buy a plastic package of Arches 140 cold press in large sheets then cut them down if I want a smaller piece.
I belive this saves money compared to buying pads of different sizes, and it gives you size-flexibility.

For what is (or I hope becomes) an important work I use 300 pound cold press with a nice deckled edge.
One reason is you don't have to stretch 300 pound.

Last edited:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
leave the paper taped to the board while you paint.

Ok, this is what I needed to know!
Nothing on the internet states this!
This is the missing information that none of the YouTube videos or art sites felt the need to mention, and I must've watched 6 videos about stretching paper.
Thanks so much! I knew I could count on you, Kenny

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We bought this to staple the paper onto, rather than taping (though I suppose one could tape instead).
They are lightweight and do not absorb water.

Edit: it's not letting me copy the link. On Blick website search for Corrugated Plastic Panels.
You can cut them to the size you prefer.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to help. :wavey:

So, I'll carry on with my day as it sounds like you're happy. =)2

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
What am I doing wrong?

If any other PSers work in watercolor, I'd appreciate your input as well!

Watercolor artist here! Kenny had it right - you don't remove the stretched paper until your painting is completed.

Now, I hate stretching watercolor paper, so I just buy 300lb sheets, paint, and if it does buckle a little, I just iron it after to fix that. =D

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @kenny @vintageinjune and @pearlsngems
Thanks for all your tips. I never stretched paper before, cause I always bought the block paper.
I've got this morning's painting between two heavy books, hopefully getting the kink out!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looked so great and super flat this morning.
I scored the tape, and removed it from the glass with an exacto knife.
Then I painted on it, and it still stayed nice and flat. I was so happy.
Then I walked out of the room, came back, and the paper had curled up anyway.

What am I doing wrong?
@stracci2000 Oh, NOW I see the problem!
You weren't supposed to leave the room. :doh:

4.gif

Last edited:

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Ok, this is what I needed to know!
Nothing on the internet states this!
This is the missing information that none of the YouTube videos or art sites felt the need to mention, and I must've watched 6 videos about stretching paper.
Thanks so much! I knew I could count on you, Kenny

Yay an art thread. =)

The taping down is nice because it results in a clean white border. You can also customize your border; for example, .5" for smaller pieces, .75" for mid-sized pieces and 1" for larger pieces. This helps with the matting/framing process too. I recommend white Artist's Tape, neutral Washi Tape or somewhat Lo-Tack tape for this.

Blue Painter's tape is distracting because of its tone and saturation.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not paper but i want these when we have funds for me to splurge on paints!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results