shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Halo Experts!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkley

Rough_Rock

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
yeah yeah yeah!!!!!
36.gif
i looooooooove both of those!!! it seems to be hard to find a halo that is on a plain band.. BTW.. i love your “dipped in sugar” analogy! that''s a perfect description.
also! i''m so glad someone actually tried this on in person.. (I feel like the stores around here would never carry a style like this.. I haven’t seen it anywhere to try on)
do you think the halo looked "dainty" - my biggest fear is that it will look too much like a "cocktail ring" and not enough like a bright sparkly e-ring!
thanks again for all of your help!!! love seeing new pictures!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2005 9:26:47 AM
Author:vizsla

...the style that i love... it looks as if there are glittery flecks all around the stone.
As much as I can tell from the pictures you do not want the diamonds set between millgrain edges, but preffer 'bright cutting' on the outer edge of the band of pave:

r319-31W.jpg

The edge can be left open as well - without any further finish:

e303-07W.jpg

I don't think there is one name consistently used fr that - but someone mentione 'fish tail pave' and I might have heard it outside Pricescope too.

The first couple of rings you posted seem to reach the same look by different means - the first looks like it has a row of pave on the edge of the halo, so the ridge of metal you dislike has been eliminated in favor of multiple rows of pave.

r328-47W.jpg

The other may be set in a very different way than pave... like this one at Icestore or the old pearl ring below. I am used to see this sort of setting in old flower-like mountings, but some modern designs use it with suprisingly small diamonds - allot smaller than it might have been feasible (or simply done) earlier on.

16584M.jpg
16584M2.jpg

The pearl is 10mm, so those diamonds are small: .65cts total or about 3-4 pts each. I know the paved versions use 1 pointers or so, but in this later case, the girdle of the center diamond gets to overlap over the small ones on the rim, so the halo ends up narrower than the diameter of the melee and there is no gap between the center diamond and the small ones seen from the top...

Sorry the examples are a bit overdone... but I do not know many shops which might display all sorts of pave on one page ! Art of Platinum offers a handy shortcut in that regard.
2.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
holy moly! ya''ll are the BEST!!!! i have been constantly updating a little "helpful hints" package for my boyfriend with all of these new examples. this describes things perfectly! thanks so much.. that''s exactly what i was looking for!
21.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Vizsla: You have some fine taste
emwink.gif
I think that we are trying to create nearly identical rings with something like the same budget. i
emlove.gif
halos w/ more of the dipped in sugar effect!!!!

when i first started this ring "hunt" i thought that i knew exactly what i wanted -- a christopher designs ring:

but they are overpriced , in my opinion, so i am trying to combine all the finest features of the rings to make my "perfect" ring.

i love the oval shape rather than the round or square!!!

meaghan.jpg

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
lovelylulu-
are you trying to find a ring that is already made, or are you considering having custom setting made?
i''d love to share resources! i have a ton of pictures... seems like most are things i don''t like rather that what i do like... i know it''s out there.. i just have to find it.. here is the closest i''ve come...

but it''s tacori and super $$$... would eat almost half the budget... also.. i''m not in luv with the profile view.. it''s a little busy for me... and seems like it would sit up very high off the finger.

88041.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i''m not tied down to anything yet, i would love to be able to get the best deal and that seems to be through buying a loose diamond and getting a pretty good deal on a pre-made setting or custom work that''s reasonable. it seems like the preset rings made by designers are so overpriced. that crisscut i posted was something like .8ct w/ .3ct in setting for $9000. roughly. not a whole lot for your money.

i''ll try to put together a little collage or something with pictures that i love (unfortunately, i''m so useless with the photo posting options here) it''s great to have pictures, because they explain things so much better than i can
emstar.gif

i love that tacori. i saw it when browneyed posted it and thought that it was perfection. but i agree, the setting is some $$$$.

i''m tossing around the idea of focusing on the stone with the vast majority of my budget (around 6k) and then later, how most ladies upgrade their stone, upgrade to the setting of my dreams. my BF and I just graduated from law school and while right now our finances are super strapped, we should have a bit more disposable income after a year or so of gainful employment.

if only diamonds fell from the sky...

sharonb

Rough_Rock
This ring is gorgeous! Anyone have the link to this thread?

oval%201.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Sharon. it's from Whiteflash . that link will take you to it on WF's site
1.gif
it's the one on the top right

sharonb

Rough_Rock
Mrssalvo,

Thanks for your reply! You all seem to have photographic memories for bling!

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
ebree-
that last one was sooooo perfect... but yikes on the $$$$$ - this is when i hoped that something custom might be less $$ because it is not designer?? would that be the case? i''m such a novice.
and yes, diamonds from the sky would be heavenly... or we could just win the mega millions tonight and all of our money woes would be answered:)

lulu - i also thought about spending the majority of the budget on the center stone and upgrading settings later.... but i also have been considering paying for the setting myself and having my BF buy the center stone... afterall we are a team. sometimes i feel so silly that; with trying to fix up our house, pay off student loans... basically get everything squared away so that we start our marriage on a solid foundation, that he should be soley responsible for paying all of this $$ for a piece of jewelry..... i may be in the minority here, but sometimes it feels a bit old fashioned. we live together, share all household expenses together, bought a house together... why not do this together... i guess that was just a little bit of an offshoot... i''m still trying to convince my friends/boyfriend that this is not "weird". he soooooo wants everything to be a surprise
26.gif
but our tastes are completely different... he''s very simple.. and .... well.... as you can see... i like a bit more glitz:)
31.gif
oh well.. guess i just blabbed on and on.... keep those pictures coming.. i thought i found all of the "dipped sugar" (my new fav. way to describe it BTW) setting, but to my great surprise there are more out there! yippee....
36.gif

here''s another one of my inspirations!
thanks again for all of your help! this is such an AWESOME resource!!!!!
35.gif

halo 6.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
vizsla: I, too, have been thinking about funding the setting costs myself. like you said, the whole point of marriage is that it is a partnership. i know that he would give me the world if he could, but he can''t.

plus, it is me that is basically saying that his budget of 6k isn''t enough to create my "dream" ring -- i don''t want him to feel like i''m so materialistic that i can''t be satisfied with what we both consider a sizable sum of money. he''s worked hard to save, especially given our mostly student status...are my expectations to high??????

the money people spend on PS for diamonds is serious and they wind up with some mindblowing pieces, but we just can''t drop 10-20k on a ring (even if we could, i''m not sure i could justify it to myself, though that is a problem i wouldn''t mind having)

so maybe thinking more untraditionally about who pays isn''t a bad solution.

sparkley

Rough_Rock
I loved it on my hand. It was so sparkley and dainty. It was not tacky at all. My boyfriend does not care for the halo look and he loved this ring. He said he liked that it "doesn''t have that circle around it". Best of luck to you!

Also, there is a store locator on the site for Ze Jewelry, so maybe you could look to see if anywhere near you carries it.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lulu and Vizsla - I''m in the same boat as far as offering to pay for the setting myself. The stone I like will just about max out our agreed-upon budget for the ring, so if I want a special setting, I''m willing to purchase it myself.

My partner finds this a bit odd... he *would* go over our budget if I asked him to, but really, I don''t think that''s fair.

I say... if you''re both okay with it, do whatever works! lol

Anne

PS - I''m also on the hunt for the perfect halo setting... thinking custom is the only way to go for me now. :)

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
RIGHT ON!!! i feel the same way... i don''t want to sound greedy, or that i wouldn''t be happy with a simple setting (although deep down inside i wonder if i wouldn''t always have the urge to upgrade)

- i should be counting my blessings that we have even found eachother, and that i am lucky enough to have this wonderful person by my side .... but, ( there''s always a but).......... i have so many friends who are lucky enough to get family diamonds, or $$ towards their e-ring purchase that while i feel like we have a super nice budget, and he''s working his arse off - i know what i want... and it''s expensive :razz:... it seems that it''s going to be hard to get it all.....
33.gif

yikes.....

champagne taste on a beer budget.. that''s me:)

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
thanks sparkley!
that helps a ton!.. my bf doesn''t like the halo either.. he says they look "too busy" - now, if by glittery, beautiful and perfect = too busy.. than so be it... :) HA!

there is actually a local store that carries that line.. i have my doubts that they will have that setting.. i feel like where i live wouldn''t be that progressive with "cool" styles.. but i''m definately going to check it out!
thanks so much!!!
36.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
BTW - i''m sooooooo glad that there are other girls out there who are considering purchasing the setting! guess i''m not so "weird" afterall:)

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2005 3:59:49 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 9/15/2005 9:26:47 AM
Author:vizsla

...the style that i love... it looks as if there are glittery flecks all around the stone.
As much as I can tell from the pictures you do not want the diamonds set between millgrain edges, but preffer ''bright cutting'' on the outer edge of the band of pave:

r319-31W.jpg

The edge can be left open as well - without any further finish:

e303-07W.jpg

I don''t think there is one name consistently used fr that - but someone mentione ''fish tail pave'' and I might have heard it outside Pricescope too.

The first couple of rings you posted seem to reach the same look by different means - the first looks like it has a row of pave on the edge of the halo, so the ridge of metal you dislike has been eliminated in favor of multiple rows of pave.

r328-47W.jpg

The other may be set in a very different way than pave... like this one at Icestore or the old pearl ring below. I am used to see this sort of setting in old flower-like mountings, but some modern designs use it with suprisingly small diamonds - allot smaller than it might have been feasible (or simply done) earlier on.

16584M.jpg
16584M2.jpg

The pearl is 10mm, so those diamonds are small: .65cts total or about 3-4 pts each. I know the paved versions use 1 pointers or so, but in this later case, the girdle of the center diamond gets to overlap over the small ones on the rim, so the halo ends up narrower than the diameter of the melee and there is no gap between the center diamond and the small ones seen from the top...

Sorry the examples are a bit overdone... but I do not know many shops which might display all sorts of pave on one page ! Art of Platinum offers a handy shortcut in that regard.
2.gif
Could you provide the link for that first ring, please? (The emerald cut - Mark Morrel?) Thanks

icekid

Ideal_Rock
siiiiiiiigh... the Leon EC may be my all time fav ring! Love it every time...
30.gif
30.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I
emlove.gif
ring!!!!!

snowbunny1.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
It is one of the few ovalish-shaped halos i found that i like

bunny2.jpg

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
I can''t really seem to find a lot of halos that are made for ovals???

That ring is happysnowbunny''s and another fine example of leon''s work
emstar.gif

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
i haven''t been able to find ovals either.. i only seem to find ones for princess and rounds... that''s another reason why i was thinking this would have to be custom.. espically if we go the cushion route.
tonight is our 3rd anniversary dinner.. so i think i''ll bring up the whole setting debate again...
p.s. i''ll make sure to send you any other pictures i find that fit our "description"
have a great weekend.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
my goodness.. i can''t seem to get this word right... Especially - i can spell
3.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2005 12:19:19 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Darlin, that is Leon Mege, from www.artofplatinum.com

Scrumptious!!

Of course, duh. Still, it had to one or the other.........

I dream I''ll wake up one Christmas morning and something very like it will be under the tree.................well, a girl can dream.
9.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2005 5:31:05 PM
Author: Bagpuss

Of course, duh. Still, it had to one or the other.........

I dream I''ll wake up one Christmas morning and something very like it will be under the tree.................well, a girl can dream.
9.gif
And that''s a dream I''d never want to wake up from.
11.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
The great pics that Valeria posted earlier on this page, and her mention of "fishtail" pave or engraving got me to thinking...My ring isn''t a halo, but I specifically requested fishtail engraving along the band where the sidestones are, basically to make it less obvious where the diamonds end and the metal begins. It''s just another way to make the metal take backstage to the diamonds, IMO. Here are a couple pics so you can see what I''m talking about.

aw1479041.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results