shape
carat
color
clarity

calling GoodSoul!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Souffle

Rough_Rock
ElizabethRose,

Do you have pictures of your Leon? I always love to admire BEAUTIFUL Leon pieces. Please please show them.
30.gif

pannini

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ElizabethRose, I am getting the ring only 3/4 with melee. So we''ll see how the sizing goes. BF and I are going to another B&M to see if we can sneak the salesmen to use calipers and measure the diameter of a ring that would fit me while trying on rings at their place. I don''t know how else to do it. I need the accurate sizing!

Well Souffle, what style ring are you going to get at 23rd ST? I wanted to use them but because they aren''t good with emailing I couldn''t do it. I was worried about the communication. What made you decide to go with them, and please do tell me details about your ideas!

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 10:53:12 PM
Author: Souffle
Hi Pannini & GoodSoul,

I am a fellow Pser who also live in the bay area. I have been wanting to work with Leon for the LONGEST time but is worried about sending the stone cross country. Can you share with me the medium you all used to send the stone over? THANKS SO MUCH!

Hi Souffle,

SOrry for missing out on this thread. Not sure if you still need this info but I insured my stone separately through Jewelry Mutual and shipped via Fedex overnight. Jewelry Mutual insures stone that are soon to be set.

I see that you have decided to use 23rd St and do share with us on the final result as they have beautiful rings/settings!

Thanks.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 1:27:32 PM
Author: gemgirl
Date: 5/28/2009 1:01:17 PM

Author: GoodSoul

Date: 5/28/2009 12:05:25 PM

Author: pannini

another question for you GoodSoul, when you get a chance (gawsh I wish I could just PM you but I don''t think we can), how do you feel about your mushroom pave with the 4 prongs setting in the melee? it looks like Leon''s interpretation of a 4 prong shank, correct? do you think Leon has any shared prong settings? i am worried that with a 2 mm width shank, the metal will be more obvious-looking.

Leon''s work is SO SO delicate in real life that the ''four prongs'' are really invisible. It only shows up in all the close up shots or under a loupe. All I see are just the melees in real life. For 2mm, he will use bigger melees and I would imagine that it''ll be the same effect, you will see the melees and the metal is really just enough to ensure that the melee are held together and protected.

I am not sure about shared prongs and you should let him know your concern about less metal looking. He can definitely address that.

I am totally happy with the mushroom pave as it''s so subtle and all I see are the melees shimmering. I know what you mean by having the metal being obvious and its definitely NOT the case for Leon''s mushroom pave.

Hope it helps!

Please excuse me for intruding in your conversation ladies, but I have a question about Leon''s mushroom pave''. That''s a style of setting that I am really drawn to for the antiquity of it. I was thinking of having my reset done in mushroom pave'' instead of shared prong because I already have a couple of shared prong rings. My question is.... did Leon ever mention mushroom pave'' being safer for the stones than shared prong mountings? Logically I think this would be so since each stone is held by four prongs instead of two that are shared by the neighboring stone, but I''m just curious about his opinion. Thanks!!

GoodSoul, your ring is gorgeous and Leon''s workmanship looks impeccable. Do you know how big each stone is in the pave''?

Hi Gemgirl,

Thanks! His work is not flawless but definitely the best from what I had seen in person so far and the claws are definitely beautiful!. Each melee is 0.0115 ct and it''s based on his invoice of 66 melees (on both ER and WB) and total carat is 0.78.

I am not sure about the shared prongs and mushroom pave, which being safer. Although I would assume the mushroom, just like what you thought... since it''s more like 4 prongs per stone. You should check with him, just to be sure.

Thanks.

GoodSoul

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/15/2009 1:39:28 PM
Author: GoodSoul
Date: 6/11/2009 10:53:12 PM

Author: Souffle

Hi Pannini & GoodSoul,

I am a fellow Pser who also live in the bay area. I have been wanting to work with Leon for the LONGEST time but is worried about sending the stone cross country. Can you share with me the medium you all used to send the stone over? THANKS SO MUCH!

Hi Souffle,

SOrry for missing out on this thread. Not sure if you still need this info but I insured my stone separately through Jewelry Mutual and shipped via Fedex overnight. Jewelry Mutual insures stone that are soon to be set.

I see that you have decided to use 23rd St and do share with us on the final result as they have beautiful rings/settings!

Thanks.

Sorry for the typo. I used Jewelers Mutual Insurance.

Souffle

Rough_Rock
Pannini,

I am going with a 3 side bead pave solitaire, pave on the prongs with split claws and with some design on the basket holding the stone. The concept is similar to this http://www.23rdstreetjewelers.com/aCatItem.aspx but the design on the basket will be MUCH MUCH simpler. I have seen work by Leon and 23rd in person and they do look comparable in terms of quality and workmanship.

You have to call 23rd in order to get a response, their staff are not tech savvy. However, their customer service is outstanding and custom prices are very competitive. Not only are they knowledgeable but also responsive to my questions and requests. They are very very accessible by phone. I chose them over Leon because I feel that I will be able to have a much easier time with communications and after service. Moreover, they are down in LA, thus, if I have a problem I can just do a day trip vs flying cross country.

Souffle

Rough_Rock
GoodSoul,

Thanks for getting back. I am looking forward to my new setting as well! Will keep you updated as soon as I receive it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results