shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling design freaks..."vintage" bathroom

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OK- I have the green light to do some renovating in my bathroom in Feb or March. So I am thinking of ideas. This coop was built in the 1930s so I'm staying with the vintage feel. But not too vintage.

I know I want the wall tile used as wainscoting as shown in this pic. In fact, I want that exact wall tile and grout color.

I have a new pedestal sink and toilet and I'm having the old school tub reglazed. We will be living here for about 3-4 years more...so it's really for resale but also my enjoyment while I (we LOL) live here.
WHAT TYPE OF FLOOR???? I was thinking grey carrera marble...but it can look very cesears palace and then I feel locked into blue walls which I like. Also, I don't like a lot of veining.
I'm not a huge fan of these tiny little tiles in the pic.
I was thinking of also doing light beige/grey walls and doing light blue fabric.
Large white tiles seem too modern.
Should I use white grout on the wall tile?
I dunno. Any ideas? Any pix?
P.S. WHITE GROUT ON THE FLOOR IS FORBIDDEN!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
!

walltile.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You are so BUSTED.

OK--How about the white 6x6 with the black deco "dots" in the corners (see below)? That's newer with a vintage feel. My bathroom is very similar to yours and that's what we did--in fact, they layed this tile right over the old-fashioned tiny tiles like in the pic. They also make hexagon white tiles, which I've seen--very vintage.

Do white grout on the walls--any color will create "zig zags" and a "grid" look that would be hideous. I've redone 3 bathrooms in my life already--trust me on this one (dark grout on walls = BIG no no) !
40.gif

Do a dark gray grout on the floor--I had white--after three (yes, 3) days I had them back in there regrouting. The dark gray is complementary but not as harsh as black.

Here is the tile I was mentioning--But you should go to a tile place and look--they have amazing things, especially retro motifs, out nowadays...

PS I only wear that hideous scrunchie around the house.
9.gif

floor.bath.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL J Flo- I swear I thought I send you a pm? LOL...wasn't trying to sneak it :)
Fey- I just finished watching Finding Nemo! I'm ALL OVER WHITE. I really dislike a lot of color...and I want a cheap fix.
But I do like some mosaics. Must be $ to do it right tho.
j-Flo I really love that floor. I think you are so right about the colored grout on the walls. My issue was that it was also going to go in the shower, but I guess that's much easier to keep clean.
I think I will totally go for that brick work tile with white grout. I really like your floor. The only thing is- 2 blacks cats. The beige cat isn't so bad. I might just do carrera marble with as little veining as possible...better at hiding the kitty hair!
Then again, hexagon whites would look great! Would that go with the brick tile? But that cat hair! Guess I could clean more. Then I could do my taupe walls and blue fabric accents?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
P.S.- I didn''t think the grout in the pic was white. Do you think it is?

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think it's either white or a very light grey in the pic you posted... You can do any pastel/light color on the walls... Years ago, I did my condo bath in tumbled Italian granite tiles--light peach and deep terra cotta--wish i had a pic...anyway, picked out dark brown grout and the tile guy was like, "Uh, no." He told me that you never use dark grout on walls becasue it's like prison stripes. I think he was right. I switched it to a very light sandy color and it was to die for. This guy is a master too--what a job...when we redo, I'm having him do all the tile.

You can buy white grout sealer for $7.99 and it'll keep your white grout sparkly for years. I did my bathroom with it and it made the grout look like new.
9.gif

I've seen the hexagonal tiles in a display and they are beautiful--I must admit, unlike Steve, I really love the original 50s black/white tile look--so clean, so classic....but marble is gorgeous too. I had originally asked for black marble in the floor above and the tile guy said it's too slippery and since it isn't a huge bathroom, it would be tough to get squares that looked right--they usually do marble in 12x12s. You really have to look, look, look....the perect thing might be out there and you must discover it, as you dd your perfect diamond!
34.gif
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL- he was like "oh, no"
Well, I found IT. This is exactly what I wanted but didn''t think they made it. Waterworks has something similar but not in long, uninterrupted pieces. I want tile beadboard. I hope it''s not too expensive.

beadboard.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2004 12
6.gif
4:43 AM
Author: moremoremore
LOL- he was like ''oh, no''
Well, I found IT. This is exactly what I wanted but didn''t think they made it. Waterworks has something similar but not in long, uninterrupted pieces. I want tile beadboard. I hope it''s not too expensive.
I like that look a lot. Would you use the light blue/white combo?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2004 12
6.gif
4:43 AM
LOL- he was like ''oh, no''

Oh, that''s gorgeous! Where did you find that?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
J-Flo, I would use all white and then go with this color wall or maybe the same blue/gry that I have in my den. BTW- if anyone is looking for that PERFECT blue that's not cold and not too grey...it's by glidden and it's call Marriana's Waterfall or something like that. I was using Benj Moore all over, but had to use this color. The painter liked it so much, he freakin took the rest. B*stard.

Hest- that's from Hastings bath and Tile. here is the link.
http://www.hastingstilebath.com/Retailer/37358/Product.jhtml?superCatId=20&catId=7&retId=37358&prodId=125826
The web site's not the greatest. They have a place on Long Island...but also in NYC- so everytime I see a Manhatan phone # and location, I get nervous about the price.

The reason I love it is because it's 31inX8! Holy cow! There is something similar in Waterworks...but that comes in small squares. This is like actual beadboard. I love it.

Then again, I do still love that brickwork. I would probably go with the beadboard b/c it was be much easier to install I would think.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think the white with the blue on the walls would be gorgeous.... I also love the clean white look with a crisp, blue....I also think that the beadboard *should* be easier to install vs laying tile... ??? All they do is staple/nail it to the wall--the issue might be if you have tile that has to come down, sometimes they need to replaster regardles of what''s going up...?
1.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I love blue too...I also love that taupe color...
J-Flo those ARE tiles!!!! how cool is that? It''s beadboard tile!!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2004 9:55:22 AM
I love blue too...I also love that taupe color...
J-Flo those ARE tiles!!!! how cool is that? It''s beadboard tile!!!
OMG--LOVE LOVE LOVE it. How cool is that? Me want too!
3.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
You and Hest can get it at Home Expo too! .I went to Hstings today CLOSED...Only the mofos said they were open. It was about 29.00 for the beadboard tile only 8X30. Then there is a base and then a cap. That''s pricey but beautiful. But then I wonder, why not just do real beadboard? So much cheaper looks just as nice. Newenglandclassics.com is THE source. They have the real stuff and it''s easy to assemble.

I am definitely doing the brickwork tile. They have base and cap moulding too. Sh*t''s expensive. Ugh. What isn''t.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
So this is what I saw at a tile store. I think this is it. For now anyway LOL...I may try to find a larger hexagon floor...These are small with the dot in the center. I would use the all white with a gray/taupe grout...that would give the floor some warmth and make the floor look not so stark white.... Might call attention away from black cat hair. I would do a taupe wall with ice blue accents. Yum.

daltiledot.jpg

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about going with painted beaded wood wainscotting instead of tile? It''s less expensive & more homey. Won''t work as well if you need the waterproofing.

I''m with J flo - a classic black & white bathroom never goes out of style. One of ours is done like that. I''ll take a pic tomorrow. It''s a variation on the one pic posted.

That said, I''m not a big fan of large tiles. I know they are the current fashion - but for how long?

Our other bathroom is tany off white on white - very classic as well. Since the tile is pretty permanent, we like to go with basic & zip the bathroom up with Color from replaceables - like towels, shower curtains, counter top accessories, etc. Going basic is especially important if you are considering selling.

Good luck!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2004 4:35:39 PM
Author: fire&ice
Have you thought about going with painted beaded wood wainscotting instead of tile? It's less expensive & more homey. Won't work as well if you need the waterproofing.

I'm with J flo - a classic black & white bathroom never goes out of style. One of ours is done like that. I'll take a pic tomorrow. It's a variation on the one pic posted.

That said, I'm not a big fan of large tiles. I know they are the current fashion - but for how long?

Our other bathroom is tany off white on white - very classic as well. Since the tile is pretty permanent, we like to go with basic & zip the bathroom up with Color from replaceables - like towels, shower curtains, counter top accessories, etc. Going basic is especially important if you are considering selling.

Good luck!
I couldn't agree with F&I more--Keep the colors simple and decorate with towels, etc.The blue you like is very neutral and I think F&I's idea of different shades of white is so classy--I love that look also. I have a friend who did her living room in 3 shades of "white"... A white white for the trim/crown molding, a creamy white for the walls and a different white for pleated silk shades and furnitue, with pale taupe pilllows/natural wood floors...It's scrumptious. I could see doing that in a bathroom too, with tiles/grout/textures.

Oh, IT NEVER ENDS [$$)] [$$)] [$$)]
3.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Totally right re: resale. And I thought about the wood wainscotting...oddly, I love a classic more elegant panel over beadboard. The beadboard is too tradidional ..but it's something about having beadboard in tile that wows me. Total contradiction. But that said, I'm definitely doing the brick tile. And small floor tile. I love the litlte cap molding in the pic but I don't think that looks like matching tile base molding. Hmmm. It better come with it or I better find something that matches.

OK- So I will do white grout on the wall. And a gry/tan (light or dark) grout on the floor to add interest?

I may to a gray/taupe (not too dark, not too light) walls. I like to use long rod pocket drapes over my tub with tie backs- how does ice blue washable silk sound? Yeah! Or a light blue with tan toile??? Yummy!

I love a bathroom with hardwood...but not practical for us as the floor is always wet with my shower fanatacism...and there is hardwood everywhere else...even in the kitchen...so it needs to be a little diff...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
this is for you j-flo. Modern vintage!

waterworks.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You'll be on call in a couple of years--When we redo, i want to break walls, etc., and add a much bigger space...so we're saving... and I'll need ideas when the time comes! Love it...I just love classic baths....I'll be frank--my tumbled terra cotta bath was scrumptious but there's nothing like a classic...
1.gif

PS That's my favorite pedastal style--old fashioned square...
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
As long as you don''t blame me and tell hubby I gave you the big! LOL But I think you already had the bug so I''m not too guilty! :)

OMG- I had my nose to the Hastings Tub and Tile place and they had the most amazing pedestals. Oversized ones which I freakin love. I didn''t have the space though. And the marble one that you can kind of see in the first pic was there. I have to say, it''s stunning in person. Not at all cesears palace. Just stunning.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2004 12:42:38 PM
As long as you don't blame me and tell hubby I gave you the big! LOL But I think you already had the bug so I'm not too guilty! :)

OMG- I had my nose to the Hastings Tub and Tile place and they had the most amazing pedestals. Oversized ones which I freakin love. I didn't have the space though. And the marble one that you can kind of see in the first pic was there. I have to say, it's stunning in person. Not at all cesears palace. Just stunning.
Don't worry--you're safe. DH knows that in a couple of years we'll either move or do major renovations (bathroom being focus) here.
9.gif
31.gif

We need a poll-Which is worse: Living thorugh a major renovation (walls are coming down) OR packing up all your crap and moving????
32.gif
40.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Hands down moving. But add renovating your ONLY bathroom! LOL

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
MMM, love the tile that looks like beadboard!! You can''t beat a classic bathroom, especially since it sounds like you have a classic older home.

As to whether to move or remodel. We have done both. We renovated our master bathroom in our previous home and lived to tell about it
9.gif
BUT.......4 years ago we built a home and I loved the experience especially picking out everything exactly the way I wanted it...ummmm we wanted it
11.gif
I''d move and build again in a minute. In fact I''m itching to do it again
11.gif
I''m lucky, hubby gave me the green light to put in every amenity I wanted and I had an unlimited decorating budget
31.gif
Like someone said earlier, we did keep most everything neutral for re-sale, so baths have a taupe tile and grout, in 12x12 laid on a diagonal, just had to have a little whimsy! The tile looks exactly like tumbled marble, but without the upkeep. Good luck, have fun and keep us posted on the progress!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Anyone have actual wood beaboard in their bathrooms? (with a tub/shower)...I have read conflicting things about humidity issues and sealing the wood. The ceraminc beadboard is WAY expensive and will be hard to work with on uneven, old walls. Thanks. I would do it behind the sink and around the tub. A co called Newenglandclassic has a great system with part mdf. I emailed them...but wondering about you guys.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen it in bathrooms. I''ve never asked the owner; but, I didn''t see any glaring problems. We had the beaded board wainscote in our first kitchen. I painted it with a high enamel oil based paint on *both* sides. Ben Moore only. It was very easy to keep clean. Yeah, the tile wains. is very hard to work with. Our wood wains. went up over plaster walls. the molding in the top hide quite a bit of imperfections.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Must look great in the kitchen ...would be no prob there....but there is so much humidity flux in the bathroom...I''ve seen it in mags and in powder rooms...but I''m afraid b/c this is such a small bathroom with a lot of use.....New Eng. Classics has a great system...individual 8inch boards that lock into eachother and the base and cap. Very cool...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Definintely can use in a powder room. I would be concerned in a bathroom that got daily use unless it had great ventilation. I wonder if there is a product that resembles "hardy board" used in exterior siding.

I can''t remember what we used in the kitchen as it was in 1987; but, I do remember assembling it - easy tongue and groove type thing.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
"I would be concerned in a bathroom that got daily use unless it had great ventilation."

Yup! That''s my bath. Small, overused and no ventilation. I think I''ll just go for my orig idea - white subway tile wainscoting...it''s got less of a cottage feel which goes with my place anyway. Thanks for your help!

sciencegeek

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/16/2004 9:23:23 AM
Anyone have actual wood beaboard in their bathrooms? (with a tub/shower)...I have read conflicting things about humidity issues and sealing the wood. The ceraminc beadboard is WAY expensive and will be hard to work with on uneven, old walls. Thanks. I would do it behind the sink and around the tub. A co called Newenglandclassic has a great system with part mdf. I emailed them...but wondering about you guys.

I''ve got it. And it''s genuine vintage (been around probably since 1930-something). And it''s gross. I think it''s been painted over with several layers of what must be marine paint. Very thick, very shiny, yet still with cracks and drip marks that grow crazy pink mold. Such a charming little rental I live in
1.gif
It would be unbearable without Tilex and X-14.

I cannot wait to buy an apartment!

Actually, our bathroom would be great if it had ever been updated- it has the small hexagonal tile floor you were talking about earlier, white with a blue thrown in every 10th tile, dark gray grout. And it''s painted a very pretty bright blue above the beadboard.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results