shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling arjunajane...I went to visit the chunky cushion yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bad news ladies. Jon just emailed me that it is going to take 2 weeks from today to receive the new shipment of 12 OMCs because they have to be sent back to the cutting factory first. GIA will not send it directly to him since he isn’t the one to send them out.
14.gif
The good news is that there are two 1.6 ct L stones (VS1 and SI1) in that batch and I’m ready to jump on one of them as soon as it gets to GOG.
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 10:05:02 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 5/31/2009 6:16:54 PM

Author: Kasey3

Date: 5/31/2009 4:58:58 PM

Author: Chrono

Hey ladies,

Per Jon, the shipment of chunky cushions are due to arrive tomorrow, so he''ll be busy doing the photo and video shoots on Tuesday. Mine''s in there too, I think.
27.gif
Yeah for you chrono!!!!! You must be so excited!!! What size/shape/color???

I requested a square cushion OMC of anywhere from 1.25 to 1.5 ct, colour J/K and SI1. However, I''m starting to ache for a 2 ct stone before even having found the requested stone. I want to hit that 7 mm mark.
11.gif

Chrono,
this is so awesome! Does that mean Jon will have those 12 cushions in this week? I''m very excited
to see what you get.

Have you guys watched the video on the new OEC''s yet? I''m just...amazed. Gob smacked.
6.gif
Jon has truely outdone himself.
Its an extremely difficult decision between the OEC and chunky cushion - both are fabulous.
But I think I know which one I may lean towards..
11.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
oh no!
I was just posting at the same time as you C - arghh, another two weeks!
What an annoying technicality hey..

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 7:52:22 AM
Author: arjunajane

Chrono,
this is so awesome! Does that mean Jon will have those 12 cushions in this week? I''m very excited
to see what you get.

Have you guys watched the video on the new OEC''s yet? I''m just...amazed. Gob smacked.
6.gif
Jon has truely outdone himself.
Its an extremely difficult decision between the OEC and chunky cushion - both are fabulous.
But I think I know which one I may lean towards..
11.gif
Just watched it. OMG!! That is one killer diamond.
wowzer.gif

Here is a link if you haven''t watched the video yet.

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/blog/index.cfm

And a teaser shot. Look at those big chunks of fire!!!!!

GOGnewOEC.JPG

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
My favorite in the video is the chunky cushion.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 11:30:13 AM
Author: QueenMum

Stephan, I must admit I am seriously torn - like I said earlier,
it is one close competition between these oec''s and cushions. I very much like the blocky
squarish facets in the oec. If the cushion in the video had been slightly more square in shape than it may have trumped it for me though..

The funny thing is though (for me), in that video the H&A is a second rate citizen to the oec & cushion -
and I love my Isee2! who would''ve thought huh...
2.gif

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, it would be one tough descision for me too ! I love the patterning in the OEC, certainly less common in a round and more unique !

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 8:31:16 AM
Author: Kasey3

Date: 5/30/2009 11:53:47 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Oh I''d really like an OEC. A small small small one for a RHR. Bet he''s not cutting any that small. I tried on an old OEC once and it was divine, but yellow and out of my price range. Made me want to find a whiter smaller OEC someday. Sounds like GOG is making that an option.
How small are you thinking? If you really wanted one in a certain size maybe he could have one cut for you-I would e-mail him and ask because I know he can have a cushion cut for size and a certain color range.
Oh my I bet my bank account is starting to shake right now. I don''t know, small enough that I could afford it? That''s such a tempting option. I bet at first he''s just doing the big ones. Yeah typing that made my bank account stop shaking.

Well this does give me another idea to add to my "jewelry gift list."
11.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2009 11:45:26 AM
Kasey, I'm not 100% but the cushion really is calling me - there's nothing like actually going to try different things on
in person to find what you really love, lol..
I know I will really like the oec's though - its a tough call. I can't wait to see the oec video, I've been stalking Vimeo, ha!

Hey stonehunter - yes how small is small hon? (it's all relative isn't it
2.gif
)..
I would ask Jon for sure - he has some original (antique) OEC's in the 0.5ct range in inventory right now, for what I think are very decent prices.
Infact, they are better prices than comparable merchandise on ebay atm, and even though I've got some deals on ebay
for jewellery before, I know who I'd rather shop with, lol!

Here's a pic of a 0.56 trans/oec from GOG's lists - a very attractive stone! And there's a couple more in similiar sizes. just do a diamond search on round, and look for the ones that say 'traditional faceting'
5.gif
OK now my bank account has started shaking again. Thank you -- off to GOG site.

Oh and I can withstand the call of the cushions because I already have one! No willpower needed.
2.gif

ETA: THANK you for your perfect searching instructions they are within my budget now what to do what to do?????

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
diffused lighting: h&a cushion oec
spot lighting: oec h&a cushion

oec has some hard contrast under the table that I don't like as much in diffused lighting.
I like the softer contrast of the h&a and cushion much better.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I love love that OEC. My eye was so drawn to it that I forgot about the cushion. But nope .. must maintain faithful until my cushion comes in.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 2:39:57 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Date: 5/31/2009 11:45:26 AM

Kasey, I''m not 100% but the cushion really is calling me - there''s nothing like actually going to try different things on

in person to find what you really love, lol..

I know I will really like the oec''s though - its a tough call. I can''t wait to see the oec video, I''ve been stalking Vimeo, ha!

Hey stonehunter - yes how small is small hon? (it''s all relative isn''t it
2.gif
)..

I would ask Jon for sure - he has some original (antique) OEC''s in the 0.5ct range in inventory right now, for what I think are very decent prices.

Infact, they are better prices than comparable merchandise on ebay atm, and even though I''ve got some deals on ebay

for jewellery before, I know who I''d rather shop with, lol!

Here''s a pic of a 0.56 trans/oec from GOG''s lists - a very attractive stone! And there''s a couple more in similiar sizes. just do a diamond search on round, and look for the ones that say ''traditional faceting''
5.gif

OK now my bank account has started shaking again. Thank you -- off to GOG site.

Oh and I can withstand the call of the cushions because I already have one! No willpower needed.
2.gif

ETA: THANK you for your perfect searching instructions they are within my budget now what to do what to do?????

Ha ha, you''re welcome S.H. They are very decent prices aren''t they?
And I went through a number of them for another PS''er the other week - there are some very pretty stones.
I would simply call or email the GOG team and ask them to eyeball the ones for you that are in your price range -
they will be able to advise you which is the nicest performer etc.

I think it sounds like you''ve found what you''ve been searching for!
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 3:41:19 PM
Author: strmrdr

diffused lighting: h&a cushion oec

spot lighting: oec h&a cushion

oec has some hard contrast under the table that I don''t like as much in diffused lighting.

I like the softer contrast of the h&a and cushion much better.

Hey Strm -
I hope you will be able to answer this - out of the cushion and the oec, which do you think
would be the best "all round" performer in everyday lighting conditions?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 8:55:17 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
I love love that OEC. My eye was so drawn to it that I forgot about the cushion. But nope .. must maintain faithful until my cushion comes in.

Charmy have you ordered one of the new cushions too? Remind me what size you are after again? -
I hope this will finally be the answer to your cushion search!
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy,
I hear that your OMC is in that batch. I'm so excited for you!

AJ,
I think it's a 1.7 or 1.8 ct OMC.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 10:56:43 PM

Hey Strm -

I hope you will be able to answer this - out of the cushion and the oec, which do you think

would be the best 'all round' performer in everyday lighting conditions?

most day to day lighting is diffused lighting.
The hard contrast would not bug everyone so you have to make your own choice.
I'm not putting them down they are beautiful diamonds and within the ideal cut RB envelope the best you can do.
To do better you have to go outside that envelope and you have spread and marketing issues.
So who is right...
Both, they are both legitimate design compromises.
I say bravo to Jon for bringing these to market!!! It took a lot of guts to do so.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2009 11:48:11 AM
oh, and speaking of chunky vintage cushions....

WANT!!!!

18.gif
3.gif
30.gif
ME TOO!!!!

I loved reading this thread. Old cuts and chunky cushions make my heart skip several beats
3.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/1/2009 11:52:25 PM
Date: 6/1/2009 10:56:43 PM

Hey Strm -

would be the best ''all round'' performer in everyday lighting conditions?

most day to day lighting is diffused lighting.

The hard contrast would not bug everyone so you have to make your own choice.

I''m not putting them down they are beautiful diamonds and within the ideal cut RB envelope the best you can do.

To do better you have to go outside that envelope and you have spread and marketing issues.

So who is right...

Both, they are both legitimate design compromises.

I say bravo to Jon for bringing these to market!!! It took a lot of guts to do so.

Hey Strm,
thankyou for your answer. I agree with you wholeheartedly that Jon is being awesome bringing these to market,
and I have told him as much
36.gif

Watching the vid again, I see what you mean about the contrast in the oec - I''m not sure if it would necessarily
"bug" me, but I guess you never know until they''re on your hand
5.gif

Just another Q - will that contrast in the oec relate to more pronounced head obstruction (or if thats the wrong assesment, basically do you have any other criticisms from watching the video?)..

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 12:33:05 AM

Just another Q - will that contrast in the oec relate to more pronounced head obstruction (or if thats the wrong assesment, basically do you have any other criticisms from watching the video?)..
Exactly, the contrast is caused by obstruction.
Nope that is really the only one.
There are some compromises with a chunky look but that applies to them all and is what gives them their charm.
fewer but larger flashes vs more and more varied size flashes in the RB.
Larger spaces between flashes.
You can see that in the spot lighting in the vid.
That is the trade off for the large flashes.

The RB is more balanced and both the cushion and oec go towards the med and large flash side.

edit: fixed typo

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Strm.
AJ likes big flashes
2.gif

(that's big flashes, Not big flasheRs for those with minds in the gutter)
2.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
23.gif

Date: 5/31/2009 11:48:11 AM
oh, and speaking of chunky vintage cushions....

WANT!!!!

18.gif
3.gif
30.gif
Whose ginormous yummy cushion is this??!!! WOOHOO
23.gif
9.gif
18.gif
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 9:31:02 AM
Thankyou Strm.

AJ likes big flashes
2.gif

(that''s big flashes, Not big flasheRs for those with minds in the gutter)
2.gif
LOL

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hey Strm,
thankyou for your answer. I agree with you wholeheartedly that Jon is being awesome bringing these to market,
36.gif

Watching the vid again, I see what you mean about the contrast in the oec - I''m not sure if it would necessarily
''bug'' me, but I guess you never know until they''re on your hand
5.gif

I have put in a request to have Jon do a video for us all. I asked that he put a new OEC in a ring holder on someones hand, and videotape it, so we can maybe get a more life like view on just how much contrast will really show up. Hopefully that will get done today!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/2/2009 11:34:43 AM
Author: Ellen

Hey Strm,

36.gif

''bug'' me, but I guess you never know until they''re on your hand
5.gif

I have put in a request to have Jon do a video for us all. I asked that he put a new OEC in a ring holder on someones hand, and videotape it, so we can maybe get a more life like view on just how much contrast will really show up. Hopefully that will get done today!

Woohoo! Thanks Ellen
1.gif
Can''t wait to see it
36.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2009 10:57:05 AM
Date: 6/2/2009 9:31:02 AM

Thankyou Strm.

AJ likes big flashes
2.gif

(that''s big flashes, Not big flasheRs for those with minds in the gutter)
2.gif

LOL

9.gif

Ellen, that''s a great idea, thanks for requesting it! Can''t wait to see it
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Ellen. Maybe the video will convince me to spend all of my cash w/ GOG. I look forward to watching the video when it''s done.

Right now I''m thinking I should save money and get a bigger OEC... OK so "save" has a different meaning than my husband would give it.
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results