shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling anyone who is or has been pregnant!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/7/2006 2:47:38 PM
Author: Demelza
My plan is just to eat as sensibly as possible without depriving myself and just hope that my body doesn''t go nuts on me. I''m quite small to begin with so hopefully that''ll help me not gain too much. I''m a vegetarian and plan to stay that way during the pregnancy, but I do eat dairy and eggs. I''ve mostly been eating carbs (bagels), fruit, yogurt, and some asian cuisine (vegetarian chinese or thai). I definitely understand not wanting to eat food that is hot. With the exception of the occasional pad thai or mushu, everything I eat is cold. The smell of hot food is icky. My husband eats meat and when I smell that cooking, it''s not good. I would say, so far, the biggest change has been in my chest size. I hope that slows down because it''s insane and rather uncomfortable!! So strange how the body can morph. No super strong cravings yet, although early on when I was VERY nauseous, I craved Kraft singles -- you know that rubbery, fake cheese substance kids like. I have no idea where that came from because it seems pretty gross to me now, but at the time, that''s one of the few things I could tolerate. I''m going to force myself to go the gym today and do some very light cardio. I figure something light is better than nothing at all, even if it''s not even close to what I used to do.

Vegas Angel -- are you done having kids or are there more pregnancies in your future?
I would love to have another baby down the road :)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Dem-

Yes, Tylenol is ok. A doctor gave me the trick to drink a cold cold cold Coke and it will relieve the pressure of the headache.

For maternity clothes, try www.babystyle.com They have stylish clothes and often have sales!

Hope this helps :)

Carrie

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks guys for all the great advice!

Seems like the consensus on Tylenol is that it''s okay, but best not to take anything. I won''t let myself suffer with a terrible headache, but won''t pop em'' at the first twinge of pain. Sometimes, though, that can prevent a more full blown headahce. Anyway, haven''t had a headache for a few days now, so hopefully they won''t be too much of a problem.

Jade Leaves -- Tylenol is the brand name for the drug Acetaminophen, a very popular pain reliever, at least here in North America. I would imagine there is something similar in Australia marketed under a different name?? I''m glad you haven''t thrown up in 3 days, but so sorry the nausea still continues to be a problem! I really feel for you. It''s just dreadful and you''ve sure had your fair share. Hopefully this is the beginning of the end. Knock on wood--I seem to be doing okay lately.

lilyinct -- Congrats on almost being done with your pregnancy!!! Wow, only 9 days till your due date. I guess that means any time now. Is this your first? Are you nervous about the delivery? Good luck and let us know how it goes! Good advice on the buying one size up. It''s actually amazing how cheap the stuff is at Motherhood. The jeans I bought were a small for 29 bucks. I figure they''ll work for a few months and then when I grow out of them, I can just get the next size up. Wouldn''t want to do that with Sevens or Citizens of Humanity at $235! It''s great you haven''t changed your diet too much. I don''t really have many cravings either, so I''m hoping it stays that way. My diet has certainly been out of whack, though, from all the morning sickness. I so hope that stage is DONE!

February -- Thanks for the link! I''ll check it out!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes tylenol is considered safe. You are lucky it works for you! My last pregnancy I basically didn''t take anything because being very conservative. Normally I take aspirin or advil if I need pain relief. This pregnancy bought some tylenol so I would have something to take, and found out that tylenol does NOTHING for me pain relief wise so I''ve got nothing
8.gif

The pants thing is a tricky thing. I''ve actually found out that I look better in a size smaller than my regular size maternity clothes, they fit better. I''m around 21? weeks and having a hard time with pants; where regular pants do not fit but other than a pair of maternity jeans got the last time around, the regular maternity pants are too big. Right now I bought a couple pants with elastic or pull string waists in a size larger than I normally wear which are comfortable but not the most stylish.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 3:44:38 AM
Author: JadeLeaves
Joining in late!

What''s tylenol? My doctor said it''s safe to take paracetamol during pregnancy, but I am allergic to that, so I have to put up with my migraines because i can''t take nurofen (which was my preferred painkiller pre-pregnancy).

Re clothes: I''ve already answered that in another thread, so i won''t repeat myself.

Good news - I made it to 3 days without throwing up!

Jade, are you British? Paracetamol IS the British version of Tylenol I think. (acetominophen, versus Advil/motrin, which is Ibuprofen...and this is not advised during pregnancy)...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 11:56:16 AM
Author: february2003bride
Dem-

Yes, Tylenol is ok. A doctor gave me the trick to drink a cold cold cold Coke and it will relieve the pressure of the headache.

For maternity clothes, try www.babystyle.com They have stylish clothes and often have sales!

Hope this helps :)

Carrie

When I have migraines, a regular coke with my meds really helps. the sugar and caffeine do something...also, do not think tylenol does much but if that is all you can do, worth a try...if I did not think it worked, then, while I was pregnant I would just take nothing...

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I would imagine that it''s the caffeine in Coke that helps. It''s the ingredient in the brand Eccedrin that makes it work better and faster than aspirin alone.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/8/2006 2:28:33 PM
Author: diamondfan
Jade, are you British? Paracetamol IS the British version of Tylenol I think. (acetominophen, versus Advil/motrin, which is Ibuprofen...and this is not advised during pregnancy)...

Ahhh thanks it makes sense. Acetaminophen is the generic name for paracetamol, and that''s what I''m allergic to, so yeah, they are the same thing.

No, I''m not British
2.gif
but I am in Australia.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 12:57:34 AM

Ahhh thanks it makes sense. Acetaminophen is the generic name for paracetamol, and that's what I'm allergic to, so yeah, they are the same thing.

No, I'm not British
2.gif
but I am in Australia.

That does make sense. That's too bad you're allergic, though. That means there's really no pain reliever you can take while pregnant?? How's the morning sickness, by the way? I hope it continues to improve.

Part Gypsy -- Congrats on your pregnancy! Did you find out what you're having yet?

I don't know if there are others still in the first trimester, but I'm so looking forward to being past the 18 week mark because by then we should know if everything is okay with the baby. It's kind of nervewracking before then. The first trimester, I worried about miscarrying. Now that I'm in the second trimester, I still have to wait for several more weeks before having any kind of genetic testing.

Out of curiosity: For those of you who were too young to have an amnio, did you go ahead with the Triple Marker blood test? I don't know how new this test is, but basically it tells you what your chances are of having a baby with several different chromosomal disorders (Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18, and neural tube defects). If you test positive, they suggest further testing such as amnio. The problem with this test is that there is a fairly good chance of getting a false positive which would mean undergoing additional, more risky procedures. Just wondering what people's experiences have been with this?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza, Congrats to you too! Yes the first trimester sometimes is not so great, both how you feel and the worrying.

I am going to have another girl! (according to the sonogram) so my little girl is VERY excited. I wonder if this means I can buy more jewelry because ahem, I will need heirlooms to hand down to the girls
31.gif

The first pregnancy I had the triple marker; this go round on one visit they did a kind of blood test along with measuring the neck thickness on the sonogram for Downs, another visit did the AFP? test testing for spina bifida. I didn''t have the triple marker the second time simply because of timing of when my visits were, and they do not recommend doing both AFP and triple screen because of the risk of false positives goes way up. For me I wanted to do the tests for peace of mind, and if they are negative they don''t recommend doing an amnio (yay!). I know two women who have had positive on the triple screen but then negative on the amnio. So although there can be false positives, for me the peace of mind was worth it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 4:46:50 PM
Author: Demelza

Date: 5/9/2006 12:57:34 AM

Ahhh thanks it makes sense. Acetaminophen is the generic name for paracetamol, and that''s what I''m allergic to, so yeah, they are the same thing.

No, I''m not British
2.gif
but I am in Australia.

That does make sense. That''s too bad you''re allergic, though. That means there''s really no pain reliever you can take while pregnant?? How''s the morning sickness, by the way? I hope it continues to improve.

Part Gypsy -- Congrats on your pregnancy! Did you find out what you''re having yet?

I don''t know if there are others still in the first trimester, but I''m so looking forward to being past the 18 week mark because by then we should know if everything is okay with the baby. It''s kind of nervewracking before then. The first trimester, I worried about miscarrying. Now that I''m in the second trimester, I still have to wait for several more weeks before having any kind of genetic testing.

Out of curiosity: For those of you who were too young to have an amnio, did you go ahead with the Triple Marker blood test? I don''t know how new this test is, but basically it tells you what your chances are of having a baby with several different chromosomal disorders (Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18, and neural tube defects). If you test positive, they suggest further testing such as amnio. The problem with this test is that there is a fairly good chance of getting a false positive which would mean undergoing additional, more risky procedures. Just wondering what people''s experiences have been with this?

With my first two, I was in my 20''s. Amnio/CVS not advised. I did the triple screen. I also had a major structural ultrasound to go with the blood work. If readings on the blood work are too high or low (one can indicate spina bifida, and one can indicate downs), then they recommend an amnio...(at least they did then). Of course it is up to the patient to do further stuff. My third, I would be near 36 at delivery, so I did the amnio. All was fine. I was more afraid it the test but it was not so bad. There are false positives with the blood work, but maybe then they can do a more in depth ultrasound and you can determine if you want proceed with an amnio...of course it has risk (one percent of women having an amnio can miscarry, but keep in mind, this is all women, and who knows the skill of who performed the procedure...and, some of the women might have miscarried anyway, and it becomes hard to differentiate. Of course there are risks, but if you need one and go to a high risk neonatologist and follow all instructions after, I think it is relatively safe...

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Afp & triple screen are basically just numbers. My afp came back "Normal/negative". During my ultrasound they found 2 soft markers an eif (White spot on heart) and dilated kidneys. Both can be signs of Down Syndrome. I was so upset and didnt know what to do get an amnio which carries a risk of miscarriage or just wait until I have the baby & take it from there. I couldnt go on with my pregnancy wondering if my baby was ok or not so I got the amnio. I hated it I had a contraction during the procedure and my daughter took a grab at the needle. It was too much for me I puked afterwards. Anyway I got the results 2 weeks later my daughter had no chromosomal abnormalities. My daughter does have Vesicoureteral Reflux (Kidney reflux) which is why her klidneys were dilated.

Just thought I'd mention babycenter.com is an excellent pregnancy/parenting website. Lots of great information, weekly pregnancy updates & you can join a birthclub board with all the women due the same time as you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results