shape
carat
color
clarity

calling all Platinum experts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
i saw my ER cast today, it is still being polished and the stones are not set yet. It is still in 2 pieces, halo and band, but the band seems too wide. It is going to be an eternity type band and is is 3.5mm, there are going to be 3 pointers in the band and I noticed a rim of metal- because I wanted milgrain which will be done at the end- but can I ask that this be filed down further to slim out the band before the stones are all set in? I think it would look better at a little less than 3.
Please someone tell me that this can be done.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Talk to the jeweler at once. Making revisions in the middle of a project can sometimes be a problem but it may be possible. In almost all cases, it''s better to do this sort of thing prior to setting the stones, especially if they need to recast the piece in order to do what you want. Depending on the details of the design this can get expensive but it will be less to do it now than it will be after the piece is complete.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neil,
All I really want them to do is thin the rim on each side of the band to make the overall width smaller from a 3.5 to a 3mm, it seems that there is a rim of metal on each side of the stones on the band, which looks alot larger than it did on the wax.
I was dealing with 2 waxes and I just want to make sure that they didn''t cast the wrong one. The stones won''t go in until next week. This process has taken so long, I just want to make sure that it is done the way I want. Is filing Plat down difficult?

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Platinum is actually very soft and pliable. It shouldn''t be a problem. I''d do it sooner than later though.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
Thanks I am going today. Hopefully they can do it, I will keep you posted.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
here''s a picture of the rough cast, the jeweler said to wait and see after the stone are set if it is too big they can trim it down.

mamchris

Rough_Rock
oops forgot the pictue

rough cast.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results