shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all pave eternity ring wearers (and everyone else, too!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LisainCalifornia

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I am in the process of changing my eternity ring. It is a channel set platinum ring (1 ct.) with engraved filigree on the sides. I got it about 3 years ago, but I had a common problem---I got it a bit too tight. I like to wear my rings loose, and was very use to my basic gold wedding band that I had worn for years that was a very loose fit. This one never felt comfortable, especially in the hot summer months or after one too many late night runs for Ben and Jerry's Brownie Batter. I need a ring that makes me feel skinny--not a ring that squeezes me like a pair of jeans left in the dryer too long!

I am not an engagement ring wearing type of person. I know, my mother must have dropped me on my head as a baby. I am a band type of girl--a GAP jeans, Naot sandals, white gauzy peasant shirt with a silk kimono. Wearing a eternity band is just me. I like the stones to go all the way around so that I don't have to worry about spinning it the right way, and I can wear it loose. I never take my wedding ring off--unless it is squeezing me and telling me I am chubby, then I want to chuck it in the daisy patch.

So I went to back to Simayof where we bought the naughty squeezy ring and they said they are happy to take our money and do an upgrade. Capitalism at it's finest. I tried on almost every ring in the store. I thought I wanted a Tacori eternity band with scalloping--and it is indeed beautiful. Esthetically I can appreciate the intricate work of the carving and scalloping work, and the diamonds that encircle the ring. But then I tried on a pave set eternity ring. Not too wide. About 1.25 ct. I am entraced by the sheer "sparkaliciousness" (yes, an appropriately made up word) of the ring. It is so much more sparkly than my channel set or the Tacori. I hate to be a sparkle whore, but baby give me some of that! And it is thin and flush with my finger--not all like a washer pipe like some eternity rings. I love that you don't see the side profile at all.

But I am wondering what others think here about the pave setting? Part of me balks at it--simple because my mom has this totally Heinous pave ring that she got in Vegas and it just screams "Florida retirement community". But this ring is not that. The other thing is that it almost seems sacreligious to break up diamonds in to those tiny peices just so you can pave the ring in sparkle. But It is just so pretty and comfortable. I slip it on and it feels like me.

I appreciate any opinions. I will post a pic of a similar ring:

Thanks for reading!
Lisa
2.gif

AB05400300_zoom.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1. nobody broke diamonds is tiny pieces... those were tiny bits to begin with. And it isn''t so long since these smallest of diamonds could get a fine cut (well, I don''t know how small those were on the ring, but ideal half pointers just haven''t been around for that long). These are pretty high tech goods
28.gif

#2. the only trouble that may ever occur with such a ring... is to have a stone fly away. A trip at the jeweler and a pittance should take care of that though. These may not be the most trouble-free of jewelry, but that depends on how you wear them, and how well the ring is made (a mysterious dimension I may not understand all the way).

My 2c

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
That ring is very pretty. It looks pretty thin, so it doesn''t scream "Florida retirement community" to me at all.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that ring, Lisa....are you in SF too?

I do worry about the durability of pave, but so many people here seem to be fine. Did you ask Simayof if they guarantee/replace for free (someone said Quest does that for life) or ask how much replacing one stone would be to help you make your decision.

I totally hear you on the loose ring thing...nothing makes me grumpier than too tight jeans or rings that make my fingers look like sausages.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lisa, welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

The ring you''re considering is gorgeous. As Valeria said, the chances are you will lose the odd diamond over the years, but all rings need checking periodically at the jeweler''s anyway, so I wouldn''t let that stop you from buying a ring you have fallen in love with; I would just make sure it is a well made setting, which in itself helps the diamonds remain where they should. You can get away with more bling in an eternity band when there is no competition from other rings. Just remember that blingy rings do need a little more consideration when wearing them compared to basic gold or platinum bands. I know I am more careful with my shared prong wedding band than I ever was with a plain gold band, which I gave a bit more of a battering to. Go for what you love and you won''t regret it. Just make sure it''s well made.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Lisa, I forgot to mention that a downside to having full pave on a band, is that the ring cannot be resized in the future, so if you lose weight or put on a few pounds, you may find the ring doesn''t fit as nicely as it originally did. Just something to think about.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome too
35.gif
Mini and Valeria have given great advice, as you said you tried this ring on and it felt like " you" then it needs some serious consideration
30.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is very pretty! I love the sparklies too :)
in your description, it sounds like you REALLY would like to have it......I say go for it!

LisainCalifornia

Rough_Rock
Hello all--
Thanks so much for your replies! Wallermama--we use to live in San Francisco. I lived there from 1983 till 1999 (actually, I find your user name interesting because we once lived on Waller Street!), until my oldest child was ready to start kindergarten and then we decided to make the move to our small town just outside of San Francisco. We are in Moraga, just outside of Orinda. Have you heard of that? Lots of deers and fantastic public schools and rolling hills. We are about 20 mins from the city now. My son is now in Jr. High, and it has taken me that long to get use to it! We still go to the city on the weekend all the time, but I miss all the restaurants and take out. We have 3 kids and they love to go to the city and browse around Japantown.

Yes, Simayof does have a lifetime unconditional gaurantee. That is one reason we chose them originally--although I know they are very over priced. We got our ring at the Simayof store in Union Square.

I realized after reading here for many hours (the search function is great!) that losing stones can be a problem with pave. They said they would replace anything for me if that happened. I can also always trade up if the ring does not fit later, too. My old ring (the gold band) was *almost* a size 6 (maybe a 1/4 under) but my newer channel ring is a 5--that is why it always bothered me. The first ring fit me for the first 15 years of our marriage--weight up or down (pregnancies and all), but the channel ring was always a bit snug--so hopefully if I size this one right (and don''t succumb to the pressure of a handsome Persian jewlery man who is trying to talk me into it!) it will be fine for many years.

I like the pave ring because it is made with a comfort plat band and there are no edges sticking up anywhere. I am abnormally picky about being comfortable--so I not the type to just wear a ring that bothers me. I am the same way about shoes--it is the Princess and the Pea syndrome--I can feel the tinest pokey thing that would not bug someone else and it will drive me mad until I fling off the offending item and banish it from my sight.

Thanks again for your help--I am going back to Simayof and taking hubby with me--so I will let you know what happens. I also like the look of the shared prong eternity rings, but think the poking edges would be too much for me to take. I liked the way the pave ring looked like it was just a ring of glittering diamonds around my finger--but no metal to hold it on.

Thanks for reading,
Lisa

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
you mention no metal to hold the diamonds on...that is a prime reason why you may lose some stones, so just confirm that policy with Simayof in writing so that you are covered, if you intend to wear this pave ring and wear it WELL then you will most likely be in there once a year with a loose or missing stone. not a huge deal as long as they replace it AND you are able to get in there to have it replaced. the style is beautiful...but i''d just ensure on that one policy since with these types of rings AND this is not your typical one row pave but has 3 rows with relatively little metal, that you are covered. good luck !!

LisainCalifornia

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Mara--I will get it in writing. It would be easy for me to go in and have it fixed occasionally--but I guess the stones falling out would concern me a bit.

It is amazing how much I liked the pave band on. When I look at pictures online I *love* how the Tacori rings look, especially those with the scalloping engraving. Very medieval princess--I can see the value and beauty in the intricate engravings. But once I got into the shop and tried on the exact Tacori I had been drooling over for months--I just did not love it. I felt like I should have loved it, but I was talking myself into it. Then I slipped on this pave ring and the glittering just knocked my socks off--and it looks so delicate and feminine--like diamonds just magically suspended on my finger. I would never guessed myself to be a pave woman.

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/18/2006 1:08:11 PM
Author: Mara
you mention no metal to hold the diamonds on...that is a prime reason why you may lose some stones, so just confirm that policy with Simayof in writing so that you are covered, if you intend to wear this pave ring and wear it WELL then you will most likely be in there once a year with a loose or missing stone. not a huge deal as long as they replace it AND you are able to get in there to have it replaced. the style is beautiful...but i''d just ensure on that one policy since with these types of rings AND this is not your typical one row pave but has 3 rows with relatively little metal, that you are covered. good luck !!
Welcome to PS Lisa~

Everyone has given excellent advice to you.
36.gif

Also, just remember that when you are in that jewelry store with the pave band on, ask to view it next to the window ... some pave rings don''t sparkle like others do in natural light. I love pave and have noticed this happening in different bands to an extreem.
38.gif

And just remember although pave is beautiful ... the ring you posted a picture in seems not to have much metal holding all those pretty lil'' sparklies together, and a ring like this can''t take everyday rough wearing without having consequences.
39.gif

I too thought that I wouldn''t mind having to be without my ring once a year if it needed tightening, but I was wrong.
7.gif
I hated being without my ring, and I was too rough in everyday wear I guess ... and replacing those lil'' sparklies got to be $.

If I were to buy another pave ring, I would insure it this time. The labor cost of repair or replacement adds up. I guess if you get it from the Simayof, then just make sure they will pay for replacement and labor costs involved to make your ring like new again.

Good luck and have a great weekend!
35.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
That ring is GORGEOUS! Very unusual and very unique. I adore it. Please keep us posted!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, Lisa, I am on Waller St.! We moved here in 1999...appararently chased you out of town... We thought we''d be headed out of the city for kindergarten but got lucky and got a spot at a great k-8 public school, so our three kids at least have that. It is different raising kids in the city, but for now, it works for us. But we;ve only made it to the first grade... I certainly know moraga! I just drove by your on the way to Walnuit Creek to meet the jewelry appraiser. darn that tunnel.

Also, definitely haggle with Simayof. They do that. I haven''t purchased anything from them but they have started reducing prices on things I''ve tried on before without me even asking. But even if they don''t, a guarantee on labor and stone replacement is worth a premium in my opinion....

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a beautiful band! Would I be worried about loosing a melee? Of course! Since they will replace it and if it is worth the headaches then I would go for it. Having lost a melee in my setting before (my jeweler will replace them for free luckily) it was a pain but if it made your heart stop, then you have found your new band
2.gif

LisainCalifornia

Rough_Rock
Wow! We lived on Waller near Kezar. That was our last apartment in the city before we bought our first home, which was in Glen Park area (on Joost). We lived all over the Haight Ashbury--I met my husband in ''85--he was my roommate (platonic!) on Haight Street then. I went to SFSU, and later to USF to get my teaching credential. I taught at an elementary school in the Haight--Grattan. After I had my first child I became a stay at home mom. I still have lots of friends in the city.

Yes, Simayof has a great gaurantee--I had a stone fall out of my channel ring, and they fixed it right away. They said they will always fix for free if that ever happens with any of their products.

I am going with my husband tomorrow, and we will try to haggle with them. They will give me full price for my original ring (as trade in), but their prices are pretty inflated for their stock.

Take care,
Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results