shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all old cut pros! Dreamer, are you there?

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Hello all,
Despite the fact that I told myself no more shiny things for awhile I recently came across this stone in a vintage gyspy setting (not unlike my first ill fated ring project). The cut looks unusually promising to me but I would appreciate your feedback.

The attached photos are all I have to go on for now but I am tempted by this one. . . does the cut look good to you? Thoughts or opinions on this one? It is described as a 1.19 H SI1. Price is 3.5K.

oec_32.jpg

oec_33.jpg

oec_34.jpg

_34417.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of things stand out, it doesn't look eye clean, is it? Meaning it is going to be a lower colour and clarity than they have told you unless it comes with a GIA certificate so just be aware of that. I believe that bezel is hiding a rough girdle and a multitude of sins as well.... Cut wise I am not sure if it's the photography or not but I wonder why the stone appears overly dark in every photo.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for comments Arkieb. From what I could tell all of these photos were taken with a large black camera with a macro lense. I have requested more photos taken in natural light so let's see.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D hasn't been here in a long time :(sad

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a pro...
Yellow - (feathers/wisps?) visible in every photo, from all angles - likely to be visible IRL IMO, esp if this is a bigger stone
Red - dust/thread or chip bisecting table/star?

Requesting more photos is an excellent first step ::)

_662.png

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Yes Yssie, I see now that Dreamer hasn't been around for awhile. She had some great posts on cut connoisseurship!

Thanks for the marked up photos with the call outs. The stone is not in fact certed and it is hard to tell if what appear to be possible feathers/surface issues are simply schmutz . . . hopefully more photos will answer some questions. The seller has a 14 day return policy so I am tempted to bring it in and have a close look.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask them for a side on pic so we can see crown height and how deep it is as well.

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Here a couple more until I get some photos taken in day light.

oec_35.jpg

oec_36.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
The ring appears to be an early to mid 20th century setting and it requires no sizing. From what I can tell from the photos so far, I like the patterning of the stone (small high table with flowery center) but the clarity issues concern me. Seller has agreed to come down to $3100. Assuming this is a J/K SI2 (lowering color/clarity grades from the stated grades) is this a fair price?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a 1ct OEC (non-precision-cut) stone bezel set in white metal it reads far lower than a GIA-standard J/K. I would have guessed M, N... That's just my opinion on those pics, from experience photographing my old cuts.

I am concerned about clarity as well - the stone is full of inclusions. It may or may not be eyeclean to your specifications, and the inclusions may or may not affect light return.

Hopefully the new pics tell us more!

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Good morning,
I receive some more photographs but they really don't add much. This is coming from a seller who doesn't specialize in diamonds or fine jewelry so doesn't seem to understand what I am after.

__12__4_.jpg

__12__3_.jpg

__12__2_.jpg

__12__5_.jpg

bluelotus

Shiny_Rock
Yssie,
Would you still guess at such a low color as M? I love the setting and the overall flavor of the cut. I wonder if, at around 6.5mm, this would appear eye clean.

__12__7_.jpg

__12__1_1.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bluelotus|1442421358|3928437 said:
The attached photos are all I have to go on for now but I am tempted by this one. . . does the cut look good to you? Thoughts or opinions on this one? It is described as a 1.19 H SI1. Price is 3.5K.

Weird the vendor cannot provide a true full-front view of the stone - still, looking at all the pics, I highly doubt it is anywhere near an H-SI1... based on that, I also think $3.5K is quite high.

All that said, if it really does interest you, perhaps ask if it can be sent directly to an independent appraiser of your choice (preferably someone like Dave Atlas, for example, who really knows old-cut diamonds) so you can get the opinion of a knowledgeable expert. Not sure what return policy your vendor has, but maybe you'd have to buy it and send it yourself to Mr. Atlas (or other appraiser) all within the return period. With appraisal in hand, It is possible the vendor would be willing to adjust the pricing to reflect the true specs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results