shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all OEC lovers...Mara, fortekitty, demelza!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
I'm looking to upgrade my 1.3 AVR and would love to find something like it but without the $$$. I want a flowery OEC that faces up white (I or a white J), clean (VS2 or eye clean SI1), something around a 8.75mm stone. I love the stone resonance of life got from JBeG, and all the amazing stones that Fortekitty, Demelza and Mara have and would like something as amazing.

I've been looking at three stones:
1. 2.49 J from OWD
2. 2.28 J from LAD
3. 2.45 I from JBeG

I'm so confused at this point that I will risk someone swooping in on one of these stones to get an opinion. This forum introduced me to OECs and PSers seem to have the most discerning eye so I figured this is the best place to find my dream stone since I don't plan on upgrading ever again! Pls help me all!

_34328.jpg

_34330.jpg

_34333.jpg

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I'm no expert at all but to my eye I love the jbeg stone. I see the pics are all different lighting etc so there are variables but it looks most pleasing to me.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
I agree with laurenk that judging by these pictures, the JbG stone looks best to me-- so flowery and throwing beautiful colors! The LAD is my second favorite. The OWD picture is terrible, but it could be a great stone IRL.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turns out I'm the outlier... I checked out the webpages for these diamonds and based on the pics/videos/grading reports, I really like the look of the OWD diamond best, then the LAD diamond, then the JbG diamond ...

(No expert here but I've bought/returned/handled a good number of OECs, so thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the links to the videos?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mentioned you want in the area of 8.75 mm and the LAD stone is around 8.2 mm, so maybe you could rule that one out based on size - the OWD looks really pretty in the video, and I love the JbG diamond too. I'm leaning towards the JbG but I think they're both lovely.

badabling

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for posting your comments....your feedback is invaluable!

I realize the pics are all under different lighting conditions but without the stones it's the best I could do. However, they're all up on their respective sites with much better pictures. Thank you marymm for taking the trouble of going into each website!

I've added links to the videos...hope it helps! Arrrgghhhh....decisions decisions!! I wish I could buy all three.

https://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Loose-Vintage-and-Antique-Diam/2K28ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamondb/i-KRRCLZ9
https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/201-and-larger/245ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/i-84VBzd9/A
http://youtu.be/fDFmlorg2qk

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My eye prefers the JBG stone no 1 based on the videos and based on numbers compared to the LAD stone the JBG stone is also the favourite of the two, the JBG stone has a smaller table and is deeper...... (no link to the numbers of the OWD one) and based on the video (without any numbers) I like the OWD stone a very close second, it's a nice cut just based on the video alone.

The LAD stone is a very nice cut too, it could just be the photography in the videos because it doesn't stand out as much visually to me as the other two, but the last photos of it shows a great cut pattern, and out of the three pics you have above it's the one my eye goes to as well.....Some people prefer a bigger table, some don't.... I own a fat arrowed transitional, big table, and the thing is a fireball, I trust Erica's judgement so if she says it's amazing then I'd guess it is....

So all three stones are beautiful - it depends do you want a more classic OEC like the JBG and the OWD stone or something that looks more like an a tranny?

Is it possible to get one and go and view the other of the remaining two, to determine which YOUR eye prefers. Old cuts are very personal lots of people here will select a different one over the other.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Not expert but the JBG for me the facets seem in a more pronounced floral pattern unless its just bad photos for the others

rimjaja

Rough_Rock
I ditto the preferences for the JBG stone. The LAD one looks a little cloudy to me for some reason

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the JBEG one looks the best too - particularly if you want the flowing, flowery pattern!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Based on the videos: it is a toss up between the OWD and the JbG.

OWD has a broader flowery/ pavilion facet patterning : my eyes need more broad flashes these days! LOL.
JbG has more flowery/ pavilion facet patterning

to me the charm of an OEC is the flowery; so the JbG will get my vote.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Count me in on the JBG stone!

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The JBG stone was sold yesterday.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no! Hope we dont have another disappointed buyer!

badabling

Shiny_Rock
kathley said:

Oh no! But on the bright side it just narrowed down my choices.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1442170348|3927253 said:
Oh no! Hope we dont have another disappointed buyer!

Yes. But another one will surface eventually!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
badabling|1442178370|3927304 said:
kathley said:

Oh no! But on the bright side it just narrowed down my choices.

All three stones you have selected are beautiful. I don't think you would go wrong with any of them, it's just a matter of selecting the cut pattern that appeals to you. Also check if the OWD stone has a GIA certificate or an EGL one because the colour could be out one or two grades.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it you that has the LAD stone on hold? I think it is gorgeous!

Did you sell the AVR ring?

badabling

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
Is it you that has the LAD stone on hold? I think it is gorgeous!

Did you sell the AVR ring?

Yes that's me...I almost pulled the trigger but panicked. Grace has offered me so many options including a full refund on everything including the setting if I don't like it but being in one of the remotest parts of the world I can't accept her offer.

I still have the AVR...I did think of selling it but what I will get for it is not worth it especially since I still love it. I love your AVR!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you considered consigning the old ring to GOG or Grace (Grace in particular) and have her sell it and when it sells it can go as a deposit on whatever else you buy?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results