shape
carat
color
clarity

calling all nail polish aficionados!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
help!
i am totally in love with essie''s color mademoiselle but i''m not loving the wearablity (or lack of) it. i would really like to find a mademoiselle counterpart from opi. for me, the opi colors wear much better than essie and i would love to have my cake and eat it too!
2.gif
so does anyone know of a color that is as beautiful and flattering as mademoiselle from opi?
i''d love to hear any suggestions you might have!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not OPI, but from Color Club, it''s called Angels N Pink. It''s my new fave. If you can''t find it, I''ll send you a bottle.
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 8:40:35 PM
Author:belle
help!

i am totally in love with essie''s color mademoiselle but i''m not loving the wearablity (or lack of) it. i would really like to find a mademoiselle counterpart from opi. for me, the opi colors wear much better than essie and i would love to have my cake and eat it too!
2.gif
so does anyone know of a color that is as beautiful and flattering as mademoiselle from opi?

36.gif

i totally agree! i find that the essie is tooo transparent and not thick enough or something to give a good even coat. i MUCH prefer OPI. and my fav fav fav is essie''s mademoiselle as well, so i''m eager to hear the responses
4.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Belle! Hello, and Happy New Year!
35.gif

I need your advice. I remember you mentioning, way back when, how you took care of your nails by reapplying clear coats of polish each day, and then removing them after a week, I think? I wondered which product you found to be the best to use?

My nails are a mess....I have been abusing them terribly. I need a plan of action and thought that what you used to do (or still do), might work for me.

Sorry for the hijack.....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 8:44:56 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Not OPI, but from Color Club, it''s called Angels N Pink. It''s my new fave. If you can''t find it, I''ll send you a bottle.
2.gif
oh awesome! thanks sister!
36.gif
35.gif

yay!

jcrow....that is exactly the problem! not only is the essie thin, it doesn''t go on smooth. it doesn''t matter much with mademoiselle because it''s so light (well...the first 10 coats are anyway!hehe) but i find all of the other colors streaky to apply. they also seem to chip/peel easier. opi has nice one a nice one coat (almost one stroke!) coverage. and it has nice staying power.
i do love that color though! it''s like foundation for my nails. it evens out the color and makes them look ''put together''.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
haha. i thought i was just applying it wrong or it was just my nails or something since everyone raves about essie. glad to know i''m not the only one!

Kaleigh - does the angels n pink apply well like opi?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 8:52:00 PM
Author: hlmr
35.gif

I need your advice. I remember you mentioning, way back when, how you took care of your nails by reapplying clear coats of polish each day, and then removing them after a week, I think? I wondered which product you found to be the best to use?

My nails are a mess....I have been abusing them terribly. I need a plan of action and thought that what you used to do (or still do), might work for me.

hey you!
35.gif

i still use the coats of polish application when i have abused my nails. really, until recently, i used any kind of clear polish that i had on hand. i will tell you though, i absolutely LOVE the opi ''start to finish''. i have tried many, many brands of clear coat and the start to finish is the longest lasting one. my next favorite would be the sally hansen ''diamond hard'' (what a coinkydink!) clear coat.
also, another big change that made a difference for my nails has been a crystal nail file. it is so very gentle (yet effective!) on my nails. i can''t live without one now. there seems to be differences in quality and the one i bought at walgreen''s (do you have those up north?) is better than any of the others i picked up along the way. though, honestly, i would take ANY crystal file over a sandpaper emery board or nail clippers.
don''t forget to moisturize! if you want to get some orange oil, that is good to rub in at night but you can always just slather on some lotion too.

don''t worry, there is no threadjacking here! it''s party time!
35.gif

cheerstoh.jpg

dancingqueen

Shiny_Rock
I love OPI bubble bath and sweetheart. I only use one coat with high-shine clear on top.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
jcrow, do you use ''out the door''? that stuff is A M A Z I N G mara told me about it when i was in the process of throwing my wicked in the trash. now i can''t live without it. i put it on even when i don''t need a ''quick dry'' topcoat. it *is* my topcoat.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 9:22:49 PM
Author: belle

Date: 1/15/2008 8:52:00 PM
35.gif

hey you!
35.gif

i still use the coats of polish application when i have abused my nails. really, until recently, i used any kind of clear polish that i had on hand. i will tell you though, i absolutely LOVE the opi ''start to finish''. i have tried many, many brands of clear coat and the start to finish is the longest lasting one. my next favorite would be the sally hansen ''diamond hard'' (what a coinkydink!) clear coat.
also, another big change that made a difference for my nails has been a crystal nail file. it is so very gentle (yet effective!) on my nails. i can''t live without one now. there seems to be differences in quality and the one i bought at walgreen''s (do you have those up north?) is better than any of the others i picked up along the way. though, honestly, i would take ANY crystal file over a sandpaper emery board or nail clippers.
don''t forget to moisturize! if you want to get some orange oil, that is good to rub in at night but you can always just slather on some lotion too.

don''t worry, there is no threadjacking here! it''s party time!
35.gif

Cheers to you too Belle!
emcocktl.gif
emcocktl.gif
embeer.gif
embeer.gif
(one of each for good measure
2.gif
)

I think that lovin'' the diamond hard is more than a mere coinkydink for us gals!
31.gif
And I will take your advice regarding the crystal file, the orange oil and the OPI start to finish. I am generally pretty good to moisturize, but I need to do more than that to redeem these sad lookin'' nail beds.

And no, we don''t have walgreen''s, but does walmart count?!
3.gif
37.gif

Good to talk with you belle!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Hey Miss Belle try Passion by OPI. It is a beautiful light pink with just the right amount of color. It is a nice alternative to Mademoiselle. And I am a crystal file lover too - wouldn't be without one!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 9:27:38 PM
Author: dancingqueen
I love OPI bubble bath and sweetheart. I only use one coat with high-shine clear on top.

I like OPI''s sweetheart also.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 9:42:42 PM
Author: Sundial
Hey Miss Belle try Passion by OPI. It is a beautiful light pink with just the right amount of color. It is a nice alternative to Mademoiselle. And I am a crystal file lover too - wouldn''t be without one!

that''s what I was going to suggest too. I love OPI''s passion just as much, if not more, the mademoiselle...

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh poo...I just tossed my bottles and planned to restock. I just found a hidden OPI way back in my desk...so I applied OPI sweetheart on my pinkie...and next to that I used my Mademoiselle on my ring finger. So I thought I would do a lab test for you. (your results may vary, climate, altitude, wattage of microwave oh wait that doesn''t apply here....)

*The first difference I see is the level of opaqueness. The OPI one coat has covered my moon and my growth is much harder to see. It is more like a polish...cover wise.

*The Mademoiselle is sheer with one coat, visible are my moon and my growth. It actually looks like a natural french mani. It is just adding shine and a hint of pink.

*The OPI sweetheart has more of a peach hue where the maddy is all pink.

*Sweetheart appears to be a nail polish, maddy appears to be a sheer french manicure element. (three coats essie to match the opi coverage)

I have noticed in similar shades (the light pinks) in OPI you have to watch the addition of additional colors. Some have this iridescence of blue or green...and you don''t actually see it until you are at say a financial meeting at a board table and you look down and you look like a teenager getting ready to go to the spring dance. Arghhh! Beware!!!

Have you considered using the entire essie line to get longer lasting results? Or maybe a primer from your beloved OPI? You can obtain longer wear with more effort. My mother will no longer will use just polish. She uses three steps on her nails. A bottom coat, polish, and a top non chip coat. She curses (not really) me every time she has to restock. $35 total for all she needs. Used to $2.50 could get her what she needed. But she has gone 10 days without a redo. Skip Chip is great. Start to finish is OPI staple. Get more time between polishes by uses at least one. Creative has some great non yellowing top coats.

Hey did you know OPI actually have a color called...Have your cake and eat it too? Well, I think they used to. I also had a color called cotton candy. I thought it was an opi...but the name isn''t long enough for OPI is it? it was a great pink. I have suggar daddy essie and three maddys. I tossed the rest.

Go to OPI and virtually try one the colors...here....Virtual manicure

I do the french mani and prefer only a hint of color. I want to see my moon...to make it look more natural. So essie is right for me. hope that helped. §

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m a big fan of Mademoiselle also, but I have to have plenty of time to do a very consistent application of 3 coats or more. In the past one trick that has helped has been using Seche Vite dry fast top coat as a BASE coat first. Seems to make the Essie polishes a little less sheer or thin, I guess.

OPI colors I love are Bubble Bath, and No Bees Please. Neither are dead ringers for Mademoiselle, but they''re great light pinks and not so sheer that you have to use more than 2 coats unless you want to.

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I''ll peek in my nail polish box, I''m a polish junkie adn I know I have about 18 bottles of OPI and a few of Essie, it''s likely I have some that are similar as well.

Have you guys tried Revlon''s Colorstay nail polish?
I haven''t found a color I love, but I only buy it now because I SWEAR by the top coat bottle that comes w/ it, it makes the polish last forever! *If you can get over the stiff-ish brush. . . which I can!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 8:49:03 PM
Author: jcrow

Date: 1/15/2008 8:40:35 PM
Author:belle
help!

2.gif

36.gif

i totally agree! i find that the essie is tooo transparent and not thick enough or something to give a good even coat. i MUCH prefer OPI. and my fav fav fav is essie''s mademoiselle as well, so i''m eager to hear the responses
4.gif
Ditto - that''s my signature polish! I always request mademoiselle. I don''t mind the transparency so much because I can''t stand it when my nail polish chips.
20.gif
So, the fact that it''s so clear, helps the chipping to be not as noticeable.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 9:41:33 PM

Cheers to you too Belle!
emcocktl.gif
emcocktl.gif
embeer.gif
embeer.gif
(one of each for good measure
2.gif
)
now you''re talkin''!
36.gif
36.gif

Date: 1/15/2008 9:41:33 PM

I think that lovin'' the diamond hard is more than a mere coinkydink for us gals!
31.gif
And I will take your advice regarding the crystal file, the orange oil and the OPI start to finish. I am generally pretty good to moisturize, but I need to do more than that to redeem these sad lookin'' nail beds.

And no, we don''t have walgreen''s, but does walmart count?!
3.gif
37.gif

Good to talk with you belle!
the crystal file is a must and the orange oil is a nice treat for the nails. i just picked up two more bottles of start to finish because i loves it *that* much and i don''t want to be without it!
37.gif

hehehehe.....i don''t know if one wal can substitute for another but give it a try!
2.gif

it''s always fun to drink....er.....talk with you too!
12.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Miss Belle try Passion by OPI. It is a beautiful light pink with just the right amount of color. It is a nice alternative to Mademoiselle. And I am a crystal file lover too - wouldn''t be without one!
thanks you! i''m on it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2008 10:06:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo

that''s what I was going to suggest too. I love OPI''s passion just as much, if not more, the mademoiselle...
that''s enough for me!
i know you like the dark colors too... have you tried pretty at the premier? it''s like a ruby red slipper color. really pretty.
2.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
dks, thanks for the in depth reply! wow!
now, where are the picture comparisons?
11.gif
9.gif

thanks gals for all of the help! i knew i could get the best advice from my sparkle friends! you are all awesome!
36.gif
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 10:30:12 AM

i know you like the dark colors too... have you tried pretty at the premier? it''s like a ruby red slipper color. really pretty.
2.gif

I haven''t tried it yet but will since you suggested it
16.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
miss belle are you putting on a bottom coat? i find that the essie seems to streak less when i have a bottom coat on. and YES out the door ROCKS. esp for dark polishes where you need 2-3 coats and they can take forever to dry. with out the door it''s less than 10 min..whee!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 10:35:44 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 1/16/2008 10:30:12 AM

2.gif

I haven''t tried it yet but will since you suggested it
16.gif
if you like deep reds, it''s a winner.
i''ll try to get a good pic for you.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah! My area of expertise.
2.gif

Pictures here: www.nailgal.com

Nail care tips here: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/Nailboardwisdom

- Glass nail file
- Good basecoat (NailTek II Ridge filling foundation is great, also gives a slight haze so sheers go on a little milkier, and reduces streaking!, also Orly Bonder, Creative Stickey, Seche Vite Ridge Filling Base Coat, and OPI Natural Nails Basecoat are good - prolongs the length of your mani)
- the polish brand itself isn''t really as important, as the base and top coats are really what make or break a mani!) 2 or 3 coats for me usually
- Revlon Colorstay top coat - can be found in duopacks with a color in the dollar store - use this over the polish itself, THEN use a...
- rapid dry top coat (Seche Vite is my holy grail, also Poshe, INM Out The Door, OPI Rapid Dry, Essie Good To Go, etc)
- "refresh" your topcoat everyday with the Revlon Colorstay - very shiney, and extends wear

- wear rubber gloves to do dishes, etc
- use a cuticle cream (Lush Lemony Flutter, Creative Cuticle Eraser, Burts Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream, etc)
- good hand cream or lotion - I''m loving L''Occitane''s hand cream with shea butter - and I''ve tried everything!

- Fave "french" colors:
- Essie Mademoisselle, Vanity Fairest, Nude Beach, My Way, French Francs, Bond''s Beige, Jackie Oh My, Pinkadelic, Room With A View
- Lippmann Sarah Smile
- L''Oreal Pro Line - Pink I''m In Love
- Nicole Sheer Fun
- OPI I''ll Take the Cake, Just Tea-sing, No Bees Please, Bubble Bath (what Giada wears, but is very streaky), Passion, etc - many do have an "opalesence" to them
- other great brands are Chi, Color Club

We''re coming up on "sheer season" - and all the big guys will be coming out with new sheers for spring any day now! Essie is known for it....

Hope this helps!!!!!
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2008 10:57:52 AM
Author: Mara
miss belle are you putting on a bottom coat? i find that the essie seems to streak less when i have a bottom coat on. and YES out the door ROCKS. esp for dark polishes where you need 2-3 coats and they can take forever to dry. with out the door it''s less than 10 min..whee!
oui! i always use a bottom coat. it''s part of the process. if essie streaks more without a bottom coat...then....yikes! like i said, the streakiness doesn''t matter with madem but with the other darker colors (even lighter pinks like sugar daddy, fiji, adore a ball etc) i find it''s hard to get a nice, even application. and i''m a good applicator!
35.gif

ahhh well....i don''t have any other colors that i LOVE from essie. just madem. i will try the new colors suggested and if they don''t seem to work on me, i''ll stick with madem. i really do like...no, make that *love*!....the color!

the out the door rec was priceless.
2.gif

Giada

Shiny_Rock
I love Mademoiselle, but I find that in the winter months when I''m paler, I need a little more opaqueness for the color to be flattering. To fix this, I use one coat of Essie Limo-scene (which is same color as Mademoiselle, but more opaque), then one coat of Mademoiselle on top. It''s the perfect color!

I''m actually wearing that combo now and if I have time tonight, I''ll take some pics.

BTW, I always use Seche Clear Base Coat and Seche Vite Top Coat and I never have a problem with my nails chipping. Manicures last about a week.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have any color polish suggestions to add, but I will say that Mirror Shine by Sally Hansen is the BEST clear topcoat ever! It is super shiny, lasts forever and dries instantly!

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for Seche Vite quick dry top coat....this stuff is just amazing. My favourite nail colour is Mademoiselle, I do two coats then one or two of Seche Vite and perfection!
I use this top coat for my pedicure and it simple won''t chip.....fantastic stuff.

I''m also in LOVE with Essie ''Poor lil rich girl'' red....fantastic on toes with a tan.
28.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I normally do pink and white acrylics [as you can see on my ring posts!]

I was thinking of doing polish yesterday and wound up using OPI''s "I Only Drink Champagne". It is transluscent and looks really cool! You can see the white tips through the polish.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results