shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all gardeners...

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a very stupid thing and haven't been able to find an answer. Last week I planted a lot of annuals in the containers around my pool. I have always watered them with pool water and it's not been a problem. However, last week the pool guy used algaecide and I didn't know it. Everything is dead! How long do yall think the algeacide stays in the soil? Should I just bite the bullet and use new potting soil? These are huge containers and there are a lot of them so new potting soil is $$. Any advice???

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops! You may lose even more $$$ killing the second round of flowers if you use that contaminated soil. If it were me I’d replace with fresh soil. At least 3/4 of it per pot . Sorry. You could call a garden center and ask their recommendation.
That’s interesting you use pool water on your flowers, I would think that would kill them even without algaecide?
I’d love it if you post pictures after you repot your urns, you have such a talent Gussie!! :kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would pot one plant in it to see how it does. This way you would only lose one plant instead of the whole container.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I, like @MamaBee would try one pot. Short of that, I’d replace the soil. Sorry. I didn’t know you could use pool water. Is your pool chlorinated or salt? Good luck!!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea @MamaBee .

Thank you @Bonfire! I will definitely take pics when they are up and growing. I may wait a few weeks so that the summer annuals are available. The spring ones never last long here anyway.

@Slick1, I have always used pool water because I'm lazy!! It's never been a problem. Our pool is chlorine but is usually kept at low levels. Our pool guy isn't the best but he's really old and a very nice guy. I kinda expect him to retire soon lol.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Gussie, I would replace all the soil and clean the inside of the pots. It’s not worth having your new plants die too if some of the algaecide remains.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would pot one plant in it to see how it does. This way you would only lose one plant instead of the whole container.

I agree with this
But id go out and buy a packet of raddish seeds - those things are cheap

They germinate in 3 days so you will know really quickly

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results