shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all experts--fluorescence more common in fancies? If so why?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Dear Experts--a few of us were discussing this topic and waiting for you experts to chime in ..but to no avail.... so I am posting as a new topic with some of the original thread pasted below:

From Abradabra: I was messing around on Blue Nile the other day and decided to look at their cushion cuts, since they''ve been so popular around here recently. Maybe I just hit a random combination of parameters, but around the 2 carat mark, a huge portion of the E-H range stones and strong blue flour and a few more had medium blue flour.

Is this coincidence? Or is there a particular reason there are so many cushions with flourescence?

Just curious!

Windowshopper: i am saying that despite the new popularity of cushion and asscher cuts --fancies.............I believe that roughly 90% of all diamods sold are rounds....................i was postulating whether or not it would be possible for cutters to actually be attempting to use rough with fluor for fancies and not for rounds to keep the price negative out of the rounds (the bulk of the business)
Window Shopper

Hest99: That''s an interesting hypothesis, WS, and makes total sense to me.

Belle: interesting theory, window, makes sense!!
*belle

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
oh Belle..........................we are being .....how shall we say..............dissed

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
The shape of a finished stone is heavily dictated by the shape of the rough in order to minimize weight loss.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Not an expert, but just adding my $.02...

Perhaps what you are seeing from this very small sampling, is just simply the stones that do not sell are the flourescent ones, and the ones that sell (either in round or fancy) are the non-florescent ones?

According to the latest stats of rough and polished diamonds 35% or them are significantly fluorescent (from Faint to Very Strong).

If you did a poll of all stones sold, my guess is that since most are rounds, more fluorescent stones will be in rounds.

Agreed with Gary, the weight retention of rough is far more important to determine cut, than fluorescence. It's only usually an issue (or discount) on colorless stones. All other stones with FL often sell at a bit of a premium.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/14/2004 7:12:59 PM
Author:windowshopper
Dear Experts--a few of us were discussing this topic and waiting for you experts to chime in ..but to no avail.... so I am posting as a new topic with some of the original thread pasted below:

From Abradabra: I was messing around on Blue Nile the other day and decided to look at their cushion cuts, since they''ve been so popular around here recently. Maybe I just hit a random combination of parameters, but around the 2 carat mark, a huge portion of the E-H range stones and strong blue flour and a few more had medium blue flour.

Is this coincidence? Or is there a particular reason there are so many cushions with flourescence?

Just curious!

Hi WS,

Coincidence. The type of rough determines what shape will be cut...Fluor occurs equally across the board.

Best,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results