shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all animal lovers

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Streaming how is a new documentary series from PBS's "Nature".
It's amazing.

They've built robots that look similar to various animals, both on land and in the ocean.
They have built in video cameras.
These "spy robots" look real enough that when they approach real critters the spies are accepted.
The robots resemble youngsters as they are more likely to be accepted by the real, research subjects.
For the first time we can study creatures up close, letting their guard down, and being themselves in their natural habitat.
This reveals, in spades, natural behaviors never before witnessed let alone documented.

I don't know how many episodes there are, but the link below allows free streaming, but only for a limited time.
I think Amazon Prime has two full seasons pay per view.
I stumbled upon another episode yesterday studying land animals, but I can't find it now.

Below is a link to a 54 minute episode about creatures in the ocean.
Two segments are my favorites, whales and octopuses.
These spy robots "swim" or "fly" using a small barely-noticeable propeller at the tail.

Riveting.
Enjoy.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Kenny for this rec. I look forward to watching it :kiss2:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
This is not available for me, probably due to regional restrictions, buuut I found a way to access the first four episodes and will be enjoying them later. Thanks for posting, these sort of documentaries are right up my alley!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... Thanks for posting, these sort of documentaries are right up my alley!

We frequent the same kind of alleys. :mrgreen:
... Peas in a pod, as they say.

When they meet the spy robots, they don't instantly accept them.
First they inspect and evaluate them.

The complexity of the Cuttle Fish's initial test was particularly interesting.
At the seal pup meeting, the pup first appears to smell the robot, nose to nose.
I wonder whether the engineers also spashed on some seal cologne.
I thought that scent played a big part of communication and identification ... but then, under water is smell even a thing?

Also, I can tell instantly, by appearance, and even more by their body movements, that the robots are fake.
That makes me wonder why real critters so readily accept them - though that could be in the production's editing.
But of course, the natural animals don't share all our human characteristics.
Or maybe the producers only show us examples that fit their project's narrative.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I've seen a couple, MrCarParts has seen several. They're fabulous. You can't believe what you're seeing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results