shape
carat
color
clarity

Californian''s, is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Without taking up too much of your time with the background on this, I have a question. Is it true that if you have a dying, beat up car, the state will give you a thousand dollars for it, to get it off the road?

TIA

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
They did have a limited program like that at one time.
They bought and junked something like 2000? cars.
All the money they had for it was used up in a few days.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Not sure about California, but in Texas we get tax deductions if we donate old, and even not running, cars to schools like "The CAN Academy". They teach kids that have dropped out, how to be mechanics and such. But no one gets cash. I'm not sure if these are all across the US.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH is from CA he said that once upon a time there was something about that in very limited cases...but he doesn''t think it happens anymore nor was it ever something that everyone qualified for. He thinks.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 1:59:39 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
I have never heard that. Hm.... I think if that were the case, people would be stealing and leaving vehicles all over the place. lol I know the CHP will happily tow your vehicle and you can pay to have it freed from the tow yard. lol
I thought it sounded nuts, that's why I asked.
9.gif

*sigh* I'm getting this info second hand from my mother, (who has ALZ and can't totally be believed on anything anymore), who is getting it from my sister in CA (whom I don't talk to). Mom has told me this more than once though. She says my sister said CA would pay her 500.00 towards getting something (not sure what is wrong) fixed, or 1000.00 to get rid of it. I thought the whole thing sounded insane.

I'm just trying to figure out what is going on with my sis, which is another story that I'll spare.

Anywho, thank you!

ETA Got a phone call while you all responded, thank you all!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 2:21:33 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Hugs..

Now.. what''s going on with your sis
7.gif
It''s really too long, and strange to tell. But she says she''s going to get money for her car that just died, and move to Idaho. Which will probably never happen.

I don''t mean to be evasive, but it''s just better left at this. Thank you for caring though, and for the hug.
2.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ellen,

There is a program that will pay up to $1000 to take old beaters off the road and dismantled-- if the car in question fails the smog test. It''s part of the clean air program; here''s a link: CA Smog BuyBack Program

When you realize that programs like this have helped LA''s air look less like Beijing''s, it doesn''t seem quite as crazy.
2.gif
Hope this helped!

f-d-l

cara

Ideal_Rock
Well, there is a smog program, and if your car fails the smog test, you are required to spend a certain amount trying to fix it, but there *might* be some financial incentive to just junk the car if the fix doesn't work, or doesn't work well enough.

But CA is one of those places where cars last a really long time (no salt in winter, low humidity) and there are financial incentives to keep your old car as long as possible, as your vehicle license fees are a percentage of its value. New car = big fee to state. Old car = cheap! In addition to the insurance costs.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 2:39:13 PM
Author: fleur-de-lis
Hi Ellen,

There is a program that will pay up to $1000 to take old beaters off the road and dismantled-- if the car in question fails the smog test. It's part of the clean air program; here's a link: CA Smog BuyBack Program

When you realize that programs like this have helped LA's air look less like Beijing's, it doesn't seem quite as crazy.
2.gif
Hope this helped!

f-d-l
It did. Wow, who'da thunk it?! Thanks!

Cara, thank you as well!

Like I said, I don't even know what all is/was wrong with the car. But knowing how old the car is, and how it's been driven, I wouldn't be surprised if it had failed. I say had, as it's now dead in front of her appt. Not sure if that scenario would qualify, but at least I now know such a program does actually exist!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Aw, you guys, thanks! You''re so sweet! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results