shape
carat
color
clarity

CADs for Mahenge Spinel! Advice please

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Caysie of CvB was super fast and sent the CADs for my new spinel ring today!!!

I'm still pinching myself about Minousbijoux's spinel. But without further ado the CADs are below. What do you think? I think they look amazing but I've never done this before. Any questions I should ask Caysie or anything look not quite right to you?

54dbb8ffc5fd075931d5ddbb836eb650.jpg

61d3c4e31645305306b30282b0854b4e.jpg

e13c1ca0078848e1fc79030f584155f5.jpg

943347dfc96b062c0582d32e7332d0f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Oh.

Ohhhhh.

I'm sure somebody else will have something more helpful :D

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So after staring at the CADs the only thing I have a concern about is how the cathedral shoulder meets the horizontal bar between the claw prongs. It looks like minimal contact. Will this be strong enough for daily wear?

Keeliamira

Shiny_Rock
Oooohhh... It's so pretty... :love:
No helpful insight... Just ring lust here. :Lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous but where the cathedral shoulders meets the baskets is a bit jarring. I have to think a bit about this.

meladori

Rough_Rock
nothing helpful here either but it looks beautiful! :love:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Chrono -- what if the shoulder hit higher on the basket so the points basically aligned? Although that would still leave a gap.

In the inspiration setting, the Sienna, the shoulder hits lower on the basket. Would that work here? You still have a gap but somehow it seems less glaring.

Here is another example where I think it hits lower:

The last option I can think of would be to flare the point of the shoulder more so it is wider and more closely matches the basket. That might require adding a couple more diamonds or using a bigger diamond at the top, but I have some room in the budget.

_39081.jpg

less_glaring_gap.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The point of the shoulder is touching the place it should on the basket bars. Caysie has made many rings like this with this shank and shoulders (Elsa), so I wouldn't give a second thought about it not being structurally sound. All fine jewelry (especially with pave) needs TLC. But there's no reason this ring can't be worn daily.

The only thing I'd add is that I personally think white diamond halos bring out the color of the stone more due to the contrast. But if you prefer a solitaire setting, this one looks beautiful!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I love halos for colored gemstones too! But I wanted something that was very different in style from my engagement ring (round blue sapphire with a halo). It was a hard decision though!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
So after lots of texting with Caysie, who was great and vary patient, I've decided to stick with the original CADs. My design is only a slight modification of other designs which I have seen lots of pictures of on PS and like how they look. Additionally, Caysie is confident the shoulder / bar join will be strong enough. Honestly, I've never done this before and she does it for a living so I'm inclined to trust her judgment over my own.

Now I'm just waiting for AGL to do the report and send the spinel to Caysie. That will only be two weeks or so, by which time I will have lost my mind! And then it will be another two weeks or so before the ring is done.

To occupy my mind in the interim I finally decided to have my mother's engagement ring resized so I could wear it. Hopefully, it will be ready next week. And in the meantime of that I have started wearing a 14K sapphire and diamond Blue Nile band I bought as a "spare" wedding ring for when I don't want to wear my wedding ring/engagement ring or can't because my finger has swollen to much (it happens in summer - almost a full size difference!). Its a bit tight for the finger I'm wearing it on, but doable. For the price I think it is very pretty and would make a nice band in part of a stack. And its at a price point where if I lost it I would be very sad but not devastated. And its completely replaceable.

img_15233.jpg

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
AGL has my lovely spinel and I haven't heard a peep from them since it arrived last Tuesday. I seem to recall that is normal, but I just thought I would ask here what folks' experience has been with them in terms of timing or contact with you while they have your gem.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can take anywhere from 1 week to several weeks, depending on their backlog.

S

SparkliesLuver

What Chrono said in terms of timing, and they usually don't contact you until they're finished. The HK gem fair is also going on right now, so I'm sure they're short-staffed, if they're even working on stuff at all. Trust me, I feel your pain - I have two stones with them now too!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
It is becoming clear that my utter lack of patience is a significant hindrance in the colored gemstone world! Oh woe is me!

S

SparkliesLuver

Welcome to the club. ;-) :lol: :wall:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TheElms|1488308224|4134762 said:
It is becoming clear that my utter lack of patience is a significant hindrance in the colored gemstone world! Oh woe is me!

I have no idea how I missed this but this is the BEST quote I have read on the pains of waiting. :lol:

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
AGL told me last week that I would hear from them this week. It is Wednesday and I have not heard. I fully realize that there are still basically 3 days this week in which they could contact me, but man oh man I was hoping it would be early in the week. I am so NOT patient! :wall:

S

SparkliesLuver

I hear you! I have two stones there right now and needless to say it's been a bit. :wall: I hope you get some news tomorrow!

S

SparkliesLuver

Any news??! I received one of mine on Friday, so I'm hoping you did too!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
I called again this morning after hearing nothing last week :( They said tomorrow. They also said they are running a 4 - 4 1/2 week turnaround for anyone else who might be waiting. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks for me.

S

SparkliesLuver

Aw. Well I hope it goes out today!! Fingers crossed for you. (I better put on my patience hat. :wall::lol: )

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Nothing yet ....

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Finally and everything checked out (which I figured it would but I need peace of mind). Now hopefully its on its way to CvB and my ring is on its way back to me. Caysie has been super sweet asking for updates along the way. I can't wait!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay. It's finally happening! I can't wait to see pics, once it's set. :dance:

S

SparkliesLuver

Woohoo! Glad it came back as you expected. It's super nice to have that confirmation - I know the feeling. Now you get to wait again. :lol:;-) But at least this time your ring is being made!

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
Arrived at Caysie's!!! She is the best she sent me a text update. Wohoo!!! Not much more waiting now ...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results