shape
carat
color
clarity

Cabochons as side stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have often seen cabs as the centre stone with small diamonds or faceted gemstones as side stones or accent stones but never the other way around...

Has anyone seen this or can post pictures?

I''m very curious to see if this would be a nice effect.
35.gif

Still plotting ultimate setting for my asscher citrine....

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Cabochons would be fine in principle as side stones. But finding cabs in small sizes can often be difficult. There are economic reasons for this. Since usually only lower quality material is cut as cabochons, not many cutters will bother producing very small cabs. This is true even in Thailand where cutting costs are low.

What you would really want, I think, is high quality cabs for your side stones. But for most cutters it would be a waste of facet-grade material to cut them as cabs. I guess if you paid a cutter enough, he might do it. Maybe you can get some precision cut cabs
28.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I''m not mistaken, I''ve seen cabochon sidestones (paraibas) set together with a center diamond in a Leon ring at the Art of Platinum.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found it!

LMr1071018Ww.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think that cabs due to their lower brilliance and certain level of translucency that''s often found in them would be suitable as accents for some gems like emeralds, certain tourmalines, bixbites, fire opals etc., so there would be more visual balance between design elements. Otherwise it might not work as well, at least not that easily.

I know that this is not what you''re describing, but seed pearls were (and probably still are) sometimes used as accents, or for framing stones with a halo, like HERE - true, this example has a center cab too, but the photo might help you visualize something.

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have anything helpful to add about the cabs, but wanted to check -- how long until you get your new asscher?
9.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm that LM is lovely! Gives me a good idea of what it might look like too but feel my asscher might be too "sharp" to blend nicely with cabs. Just wondered what it would look like really. Really into that sorta "glow" that cab stones have at the moment - like moonstones. Lots of inspiration here.

Update on my asscher - I sent it back to him last week and we are still awaiting for delivery (fingers crossed its today) so he can match the colour with the new one. So looks like another few weeks at least but I''m in no hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results