shape
carat
color
clarity

Cabachon stones to set in bezel setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
The gorgeous Sally made me a gorgeous silver bezel setting for a 7 ct Turquoise I got off Ebay. I love the look and always get heaps of comments. I''m thinking of getting Sally to make me a couple more. I can think that Carnelian would work well as well as onyx. Any other stones that would be suitable.

sallykate9.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Are you asking if any other stones would be suitable?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Me likey! 7cts? That must be huge!

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Yes sorry! What other stones would be suitable to set like this?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Any stone that is not too dark! I would look for stones that you like with a "medium tone" description. If you like a lighter stone, you can do what FlyGirl did, and what I am planning to do and that is "close" the bottom with a sheet of gold or silver. That will make the stone look darker.

Here are some stones I have seen nice cabs for - these are also stones that you can get a larger ct weight for a more reasonable price. I am leaving the more expensive stones off the list.

Tourmalines (I just got a pink one so I have to put that on the list)
Amethysts
Spinels (a lot of PSers are getting those killer hot pink ones). The really big ones are going to be up there in price
Pink Quartz
Garnets - I have seen some pretty pink/red garnet cabs on here.

I am sure others can come up with more ideas.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hey Kate,

personally, I really like pink tourmaline and spess garnets in cabs.
Esp. the tourmaline ones that have nice looking inclusions.

I bought some cabs to create some bezels like yours, but ended up returning as I couldn't afford it at the time.

I got my cabs from gemselect for chips, and they were just as represented with good service, if you're looking for a source.
5.gif

also, Barry often seems to have some nice cabs, more than what's listed on the site I think.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Oh Kate, your ring is so nice!

I''m in a cabochon kick lately. I have purchased 3 from Barry so far. He has wonderful cabs. He''s keeping an eye out for a aqua and strawberry quartz for me as we speak. If you''re into the blue/green color, chrysopase is wonderful.

My three cabs: Chrysopase, garnet, jade.

SSCN7140.JPG

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Mocci these are lovely so sweet looking.
Thanks LtlFirecracker I think a quartz could work.
AJ as usual you have impeccable taste. I will see what Barry has but Sally told me she coulod ger most thingws in Thailand much more cheaply
Packrat is not really huge. I believe 10 cts is more my size seriously. BUT I got it on eBay for $7.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2009 9:59:23 AM
Author: mochi
Oh Kate, your ring is so nice!

I''m in a cabochon kick lately. I have purchased 3 from Barry so far. He has wonderful cabs. He''s keeping an eye out for a aqua and strawberry quartz for me as we speak. If you''re into the blue/green color, chrysopase is wonderful.

My three cabs: Chrysopase, garnet, jade.

Mochi - there was a strawberry quartz on DiamondBistro a little while ago (I think it is still up). If it is the stone I think it is, then it is very nice.

I just set a blueish green tourmaline cab on a dome ring - looks nice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve seen some very nice spessartite cabochons. But my heart really goes to the watery looking cabochons like moonstones, chalcedony and the like. There’s also aquamarine too if you like a light blue.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Lady_Dosddain thanks for the recs. That site was interesting and that strawberry quartz look well like a strawberry. Very cool.
Chrono I agree with your rec''s I like the quietness of these stones and that is the look I am going for rather than the TADAH!!!
Just got an email from Sally. She can have her cutters in Jaipur cut any stone and size any shape AYTHING I want
36.gif
I think I am going to go for onyx maybe Chrysoprase and I will have a less quiet one in Carnelian.
Anyway some fun but affordable projects in the making.
Thanks everyone for your help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Approximately how long will the wait be for Sally to find the right stone and have it cut? Will she show you the stone before it is cut? What happens if you don’t like the stone? Sorry for the millions of questions but I’m just curious about how this works long distance.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
No worries on the questions Chrono! I am just going Sally judgment and experience. It shouldn''t take to long and as the cost is relatively cheap I am happy towing it so as to speak. Plus the stones are unfaceted so less can go wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results