shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Scott Kay setting before diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boston_shyguy

Rough_Rock
I wanted to get people''s advice on this because we''ve gotten conflicting advice from the jewelry stores we''ve been to. My fiancee and I have agreed on a Scott Kay setting for her engagement ring, but we''re a little concerned about the 6-8 week turnaround time, particularly since we still have to settle on a specific diamond.

One idea we were kicking around to speed things up was to order the setting first and then finalize the diamond while we were waiting for it to come in. The concern we''ve heard was that the setting needs to be custom-made for the diamond, so it is really better to have it ready beforehand. In stores we''ve heard that it is an issue and that it isn''t, so we''re wondering if it is just the kind of thing salesperson says to try to get us to commit to a diamond as well or is it a significant concern we should be worrying about.

Thanks.

- Boston Shyguy

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey boston shyguy!
35.gif
welcome to ps!

the issue can be a non-issue depending on how set you are on the final stone size.
settings are custom made to each stone, but only in the fact that they need the approximate measurements. for example, you can''t put a 1ct. diamond in a setting made for a .5ct.
if you want to order the setting ahead of time you can but you will be locked into the size you order it for.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a Scott Kay but with my Tacori setting (custom made also) we had to have the exact diamond dimensions before they could begin work on my ring. I do have an EC so that makes the need for the size even more important. After we got the diamond it took about 6 weeks to get the finished ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results