shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying sapphires in Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pantufla

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I am looking for a blue sapphire (Royal Blue) in the 2.5-3.5 carat range.

Do you (or anyone you know) have experience buying sapphires in India, Thailand, or Hong Kong? I would be interested to know how quality, price, and selection compare to what is available in the US or through online vendors.

Thanks!

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
most the sapphires in the US originated or have passed through india/asia and then came to the US to be sold. So they are pretty much the same.

What DOES differ is the vendor more then the actual sapphires. You want to find a vendor that fully discloses treatments.

As for prices...for a quality sapphire, the price in the US should be *around* the same in india/asia as the US. If its much much lower over seas, there is usally a reason.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe there are some vendors on here that operate out of Thailand so hopefully somebody with first hand knowledge will be along to help.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
As one member correctly pointed out, many of the sapphires for sale in the USA have passed through Asian trading centers.

The price of a gem is largely dependent on how many hands it has passed through, so most sapphires will be less expensive if you buy closer to the source. Note that there are dealers in the USA who may be importing material from mining centers, so their prices may be just as good.

Pantufla

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the information!

serenitydiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Also, be very careful buying close to the mine. The closer to the source you go, the more fakes, synthetics, and treatments abound.

--Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results