shape
carat
color
clarity

buying online vs at the mall

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone,

I just discovered this site and I think it is fabulous! Everyone seems so knowledgable and helpful and I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning alot. I am about a month into my search for an engagement ring (I am picking out my own) and am find it much more frustrating and confusing than I ever imagined possible. Apparently I have a lot to learn before I can make an informed decision so I am just going to have do be patient and do my homework
34.gif
. I am considering purchasing my diamond online b/c the prices seem alot better than at the stores at the mall. How does this work exactly? Who sets the stone? From shopping around and looking at settings, it seems like they often need to be customized depending on the stone size/shape. If the jeweler who sells me the setting will not set it, can someone else change or adjust the prongs to fit my stone. Will many jewlers set stones that they did not sell into settings that are not their own?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Actually, I guess my title does not really describe my question. Do I need to purchase the setting or diamond first? Can a setting that is made for a round (perhaps 6 prongs in a circle) be later altered to fit a radiant cut (my favorite)? Should I look for a setting first? I know approximate size of diamond I am looking for but obviously that could change when I start to seriously consider stones.

pattjin

Rough_Rock
I too have been shopping for an engagement ring, before this experience, I hadn't really shopped for jewelry before.

I found the FAQ section of this site very informative.

For my particular case, I found a diamond at a local jeweler and it turned out to be one that BlueNile also offered, but I was able to get it cheaper than BN even after paying 8.25% sales tax and a mounting fee (since I wanted to bring my own setting in).

I really wanted to buy the setting and the stone from the same place since it seems like you get the best deal/service, but the place that had the setting I liked didn't have any stones I was interested in. The store selling me the setting just needs to know the dimensions of the stone I plan to put in and the ring size and they will prepare the ring for the diamond store to mount.

I was told to look for the stone first, since it's very hard to find one you like...I dunno if that's all that important, but the two stores I went to were across the street from each other, so it wasn't that bad going back and forth.

here's a few things I've picked up along the way (i'm not an expert, yet...
3.gif
):

1) The jeweler who sells the setting said to have the person who sells you the diamond set it, since they will assume liability for the diamond, whereas if the one selling you the setting sets it, you assume liability for the diamond. The setting is far cheaper than the diamond!

2) In my case, I'm customizing the setting slightly, I was told to make sure when I pick up the setting from the jeweler to inspect it carefully to make sure everything has been done to my satisfaction. Anything unsatisfactory should be taken care of before you go and mount the stone. That way the ring jeweler can't say that the mounter messed up the ring. I plan on taking very detailed pictures of the ring before it heads off to the mounter.

3) Go to alot of stores, you'll soon learn what to look for. The only way to become an expert is to look and examine the diamonds closely. Use the loupe. Even if you don't know what to look for in the beginning, at least it gives the sales person the impression you know what's going on, and they will probably treat you better.

4) don't be afraid to bargain.

5) use the search engine here to see what the going rate is online, I think that's a pretty decent guage.

6) plan ahead, cause it could take 4-8 weeks to get a custom piece done or a piece ordered, etc.

7) You can get a temporary setting for the diamond and then go shopping together so you're sure to get something you both like, if you're not sure. Temporary settings are very cheap.

The jeweler that sold me the diamond says his setting fee is $350 for 6 prong (seems like a lot...), but he agreed to do it for a lot less by making it a "package" deal...

The whole process almost feels like buying a car...

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results