shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying my first (and hopefully last) engagement ring.

Brad208

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

Looking to propose to my girlfriend on June 27th (long story about why that date... well, not that long, but kind of don't want to share just in case she happens to peruse this site and figures out it's me). Anywho... never bought a diamond or engagement ring before, so I'm looking for some help.

Based on my research (and my head's about to im/explode from all the reading I've done thus far), it sounds as if the four Cs are the most important characteristics of a diamond with 'cut' being at the top of the list.

That having been said, I'm looking for the for the following:

A beautiful, at least 1 carat princess or round (preference goes to princess) diamond for around $3,500 - $4,500 ($4,500 - $5,000 w/ the 14k or 18k white gold ring).

That having been said, I'm all over the map with what I think is most important now... I've been looking at:

- Cuts of either very good or ideal/excellent (is very good close enough to excellent?)
- Color from D to H (is G that much better than H? Will an H look awful compared to D or just not AS beautiful?)
- Clarity from VS2 to FL (obviously flawless is amazing but in my price range, I'd rather get an ideal cut and a VVS1 or VVS2... at least, I think that's what I'd rather get... I don't know!)

Anywho, I don't want to make this too long, because I'd like as many replies as I can get, but like I said... I just want the most perfect looking diamond ring I can find that's one carat or larger. So I guess my questions are:

- What can I adjust in the 4 C's to get what I'm looking for in my price range?
- Where can I get it? (I'm in Toronto, Canada)
- Are there any trustworthy online retailers (I've read horror stories)

Thank you so much! I'm nervous as hell!

Seeker of Help

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
to your question about color and clarity.... no an H is not "that much worse" than a G an I could be just fine as well. And as for clarity, an IF is special in terms of rarity, but what necessarily makes that better? Eye clean is eye clean. to save your budget id suggest going to an eye clean SI1. For that type of cut, a si1 thats eye clean shouldnt be hard.

diamond-enthusiast

Rough_Rock
The deadline is like 2 weeks away. It's going to be tight if you intend to get it from an online vendor.

Brad208

Rough_Rock
Agreed... timing is tight, but I have the funds available and am aiming to purchase in store or order online this Friday.

Neil, to your comment regarding an eye clean SI1 - is there a way to determine 'eye clean' through any online retailers? And hypothetically, all else being equal, would an eye clean SI1, ideal cut, D color, 1 carat diamond look (to the naked eye) no different than an IF, ideal cut, D color, 1 carat diamond? Having not seen a ton of diamonds or ever purchased one, I'm just trying to get a better idea of how important each characteristic is in terms of the actual look or "beauty" of the diamond.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Brad

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
James Allen and IDJ can handle a pretty tight turn around time. Plug in your parameters on the www.jamesallen.com site and check out their diamond videos! Pretty cool, I must say!

EXCELLENT or IDEAL cut would be my personal first priority - how it is cut will affect the beauty of the diamond - "the fire, sparkle, flash" - and you *could* find an amazing VERY GOOD cut, but if it were me, I'd just stick with either a GIA XXX or an AGS 000.

Colour - there are some people who are very sensitive to colour and prefer an E or D only, and others are happy with a J or K (or lower - I have a Q/R OEC!) but for an engagement ring, I think a G or H is a safe bet.

Clarity - some can feel that the mind clean issue of owning an FL/IF is all they can accept, where as others are fine with an eye clean SI1 or 2. Be sure it is evaluated and they say it is eye clean to what distance you prefer - 6" / 10"/ 12".... and definitely no black inclusions on the table!

Carat - so... budget often dictates that! But - back to CUT - an excellent or ideal cut diamond will often appear to look larger than carat wt because it is reflecting so much light!

Good luck!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I looked up rounds at James Allen in your budget. You'll end up with an H-I diamond with VS2 OR SI1 clarity, Gia XXX or Ags 000.

I didn't study these diamonds or run them thru the HCA calculator but am linking them for you to compare and give you an idea of what you can get for around $4.5.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/?CaratFrom=0.81&CaratTo=10.00&Color=I,H&Clarity=SI1,VS2&Cut=TrueHearts,Ideal,Excellent&PriceFrom=3730&PriceTo=4520&Sort=Carat asc, DefaultOrder&TabSelected=3&DiamondID=206306,228063,224801,219486

I don't have any knowledge on Princess cut diamonds but know most on here recommend Whiteflash for those.

Hope this helps!

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Brad

I'm not familiar with princess cut but I can share with you my own experience on clarity, color and buying online.

Eye clean to me means I can't see inclusions without a loupe even at close distance. I own stones ranging from VS1 to SI1. The inclusions in the SI1 does not bother me any more/less than the VS1. So like Niel said, eye clean is eye clean.

Color is really subjective. I adore icy white stones but I'm also happy to wear I as trade off for bigger size. I would however, consciously look for a combination of medium blue fluor with any H/I stones as the fluor can cancel out some tint.

I have only purchased online once (and I won't hesitate to do it again). I've contacted 3 vendors who are highly recommended here on PS and I finally went with GOG as they were quickest in responding and seemed keen to HELP ME (in opposed to selling me something). The comparison videos, reports and personal evaluations were super helpful in the selection process. GOG had 2 people checked for eye-cleanliness to make sure it met my criterion. The stone was exactly how they had described so I'm very pleased and I would highly recommend them.

Given the time pressure, you'd need a vendor who is responsive AND has good number of in-house princess cut to select from. If you hadn't contacted the online vendors yet, I'd suggest you to reach out to at least 3 or 4 to see what they have and also to have a feel as to which vendor you are most comfortable with.

Good luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I'd you have 2 truly eye clean stones with the same cut and color, one IF and one SI1, the only difference you'll see is the price.

And to tell if its eye clean you ask the fine representative you're working with if it is and they will be honest. But as the pp said, define eye clean. Usually that's about 6-10 inches away and it's good to ask if it is from the top and sides.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I set up some parameters in JA's search and came up with some .90's in your budget. I'm not sure you'll make it to the 1ct mark unless you drop in to H or I range and lower your clarity:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.91-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-223885

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.90-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-227730

Hopefully someone who knows princess cuts can chime in on those. As it was mentioned, somewhere like Whiteflash is generally suggested since they have a lot of performance information listed for those. Keep in mind a round will face up larger for the same carat weight than a princess will. So a 1ct princess is visually smaller than a 1ct well cut round.

For reference, the stone in my avatar is an I, with medium blue fluorescence, in case you are worried about color. It's a personal preference and you just have to figure out where your tolerance lies. The color and clarity do not have much influence on the "sparkle" factor of a diamond for the most part. The sparkle is controlled mostly by a stone being cut very well and having good proportions where all the angles work together well.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to chime in and say if you're (her) preference is as princess you should go that route.............

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few that caught my eye...I tend to like small tables but couldnt find any with small tables.

You would need to ask JA if they are eye-clean and request asets on your top 3.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.03-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-sku-224966
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.04-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-213851 this is my favorite but it is an I
looks like it has an AGS cert but thats not whats getting displayed. Need to ask JA if its got ideal light return. AGS000?

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-217361
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-198642
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.01-carat-h-color-si1-clarity-sku-213847 AGS000??? eyeclean???

Brad208

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for all the help, guys (and gals). So couple of final questions...

1) Should I buy only the diamond from the online retailer I choose (i.e. Whiteflash, James Allen, etc.)? I've heard it's best to buy the diamond loose so the seller does not have the opportunity to hide any imperfections.

2) If I buy the diamond loose, where should I go to purchase the ring and have it assembled/set?

3) Is it rude/unneccessary for me to ask to watch the place set the diamond so I know MY diamond is what is entering the ring?

4) Once I receive my diamond from the retailer I go with, where do I find an AGS/GIA appraiser (not affiliated with any diamond retailer) to get my formal/independant appraisal?

Thank you again! I don't want to wait - I want to propose right now! Which I really never thought would be words coming out of my mouth/hands.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
In your time crunch you should probably select a setting from the same vendor.
An independant appraiser can give you the insurance value of the ring (these stones are already certified they all show their certificates on the sights). there is a listing of appraisers by state in the pull down menus above. in PS web sight.
Check with the vendor to be assured they are all eye clean.
If you buy from the James Allen vendor they do have a return policy and upgrade policy. You can have the stone appraised after you receive it to be assure that is the same stone. As a valued PS vendor you shouldn't be worried about not receiving what you are paying for. Just to be certain its eye clean.

all the stones suggested to you are beautiful It seems as though you can gt a larger princess for your money. As round brillant is the most popular it is more expensive.

Call James Allen and go over what type of setting turn around time and if you can receive it in time to evaluate it and have it appraised.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless there's a really specific setting you like I'd get them set and purchased at the same place. Logistically its easier.

No you can't watch them set it but a reputable vendor like you are looking at won't swap your stone, but when you get it appraised you can just have the independent appraiser check the laser inspiration and see it matches your certificate

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results