shape
carat
color
clarity

buying in Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

clive

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for a diamond in HK shops for a couple of months and am getting very confused. I am with the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with. I have some idea of the quality of the ring being D-F colour, VS1-VS2 and 2 carats. Can anyone advise where I should look for a diamond. I have an incredible urge to buy today and propose tonight.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/15/2005 12:12:24 AM
Author:clive
I have been looking for a diamond in HK shops for a couple of months and am getting very confused. I am with the girl I want to spend the rest of my life with. I have some idea of the quality of the ring being D-F colour, VS1-VS2 and 2 carats. Can anyone advise where I should look for a diamond. I have an incredible urge to buy today and propose tonight.
my friends always tell me diamonds are cheaper in HK but,little that they know the cut quality in most jewlery store in HK aren't really that good.all they talk about is D-E IF-VVS1 and don't care about the cut.maybe you can work with vendors here on pricescope.i don't know if they would ship to HK.a beautiful cut 2ct E VS2 with GIA or AGS report cost about $34,000 USD.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes listen to Dancing Fire, cut is key!!! Many stores in HK are only interested in color and clarity, but they miss out on the cut of the diamond. Take some time and educate yourself on the cut, there is a PS tutorial which should be very helpful to you. Good luck and take your time. Don''t rush!!!
2.gif

jkchan

Rough_Rock
I hadn''t heard that about HK diamonds - that they''re into only color, clarity. I have heard, however, that you must be really careful about who you buy from you don''t live in HK. I imagine it''s like buying anything else in another country - buyer beware because you may not be able to return it if it''s not what you thought it was.

feathers

Rough_Rock
Clive, it really depends on what you look for in a diamond. Paraphasing some information from the Jewelry & Gems - The Buying Guide, diamond quality is determined by 1) Colour, 2) Clarity, 3) Cut, and 4) Carat, but in terms of beauty, the order changes into 1) Cut, 2) Colour, 3) Clarity, and 4) Carat.

So if you want a diamond that has fire and brilliance (who doesn''t
4.gif
), take DancingFire and Kaleigh''s advice and learn about cut.

As for diamond shopping in Hong Kong, my parents bought me a GIA cert. diamond there. The diamond is E colour, VVS2 clarity with a....ready?....64% table!
6.gif
The diamond has a lot of brilliance and little fire. But it is still quite pretty and it is from my parents
36.gif
. However, if I were to purchase a diamond, I would definitely go for ''ideal cut''.

Good luck on your search!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results