shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying gems in Brazil? Need help for DH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
DH is going to Brazil and will be in both Rio and Sao Paulo. A coworker was telling him about some jewelry she bought there, so now he wants to go gem hunting for me. He knows absolutely nothing about colored gems, but I think he’s a little excited about “the hunt.” Couple questions:

1. Are there any reputable jewelers or dealers he could visit to make sure he doesn’t get duped? While I’d like him to get a good deal, I’m mainly worried that he gets real, good-color, quality stones and doesn’t end up with crap.
2. What stones should he focus on? Anything he’s apt to get better quality or price on because he’s in the country of origin?
3. Or is it just too risky? If you were in my shoes, would you tell him not to buy anything and preserve your gem dollars to use on trusted PS vendors?

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
If I were going to Brazil, I''d visit the H Stern museum to see all the pretties there. I don''t know about places to shop for a deal though. But I''d definitely enjoy looking at amethyst (my birthstone), topaz, and tourmaline. Personally, when I travel, I might spend a very *little* amount on fun jewelry or gems as a souvenir. But when it comes to thoughtfully spending money on a gem as a nice piece for myself, I''d prefer to work with a PS vendor. But that''s because I know so little about gems that I''d want to be able to take my time, research, and ask questions. I hardly ever spend any significant money on the spot.

In fact, I''m still debating whether or not to buy anything on my Alaskan cruise honeymoon and that''s still seven months away! I seriously doubt that I''d get anything quality, but it''d be nice to have something for sentimental reasons.

Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to chime in.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/12/2010 11:37:22 PM
Author: Honey228

In fact, I''m still debating whether or not to buy anything on my Alaskan cruise honeymoon and that''s still seven months away! I seriously doubt that I''d get anything quality, but it''d be nice to have something for sentimental reasons.

Hopefully someone more experienced will be able to chime in.

A good friend of mine decided to take a job on an Alaska ship for 6 months. She had been a goldsmith for over 20 years and wanted to open her own studio so the money would be a big jump-start. After a few weeks she was moved from the jewelry shop into clothing. She actually knew about stones and jewelry, and simply wouldn''t lie to customers about the quality. The shop was designed to pressure people into decisions when they could not comparison shop, and to use that vacation excitement to open their wallets.

I don''t know that it''s true of all cruise ships, and as long as we can both walk I''ll never take a cruise
21.gif
but I have spent time in some jewelry shops near cruise stops and was horrified at the goods, the prices and the sales tactics.

Nothing wrong with buying a trinket as a keepsake, but save the big ticket items for when you can examine, compare and return them.

Cheers,

Lisa

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
First off, H. Stern museum and jewelry shop, MUST SEE.

Secondly, the old PT Barnum edict applies in Brazil as it does everywhere else too. Established and reputable jewelers are his best bet because he cannot go into the countryside in a gemmy area and adequately judge rough or native cut gems. This would be immediately apparent to the locals. Also, most of the local miners have sources they already deal their material too.

If it were me, I''d be more interested in buying a great specimen, you could get a fabulous deal on a great specimen, just be sure to wrap adequately when you ship it home.

Check to see what kind of taxation would occur on anything your DH brings out of Brazil.

Fantastic trip he is taking! Luck and safe trip to him!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Pierreone,

I don''t know, but suspect that unless your husband has a very good grasp of what he is doing he might well be scammed. This is not to cast doubt on gem suppliers or jewellers specific to Brazil, it could happen anywhere in the world to the uninitiated. Caveat Emptor!!

The only Brazilian supplier of gems that I know about is called Duarte & Bastos. I suspect that they only sell to the trade, but they might be a valuable source of information for you and your husband.

If nothing else, their Flickr page has some wonderous eye candy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless your DH brings along some identification tools and knows more than coloured gemstone basics, I would not advice any purchases in Brazil. Of course, if he goes to a reputable place, it''s probably all right but I don''t know who is and who isn''t in Brazil. In that case, you might as well purchase online anyway to be sure it''s something you like and has a decent return period. Just because you are buying from the same country of origin, does not guarantee better pricing or quality. In fact, the nicest gems are usually exported.

pierreone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the wise perspective. While it''s fun to fantasize about a killer find, of course that won''t happen, especially with DH not knowing anything about colored stones. I''ve told him about the H. Stern museum and he''s going to see if it will fit into his itinerary.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results