shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying from Whiteflash - copies of Sarin & Idealscope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
Hi. My boyfriend purchased the diamond of my choice through Whiteflash a few weeks ago. He handled the purchasing and worked with Rene at Whiteflash. When he received the diamond it did not come with the Sarin report or Idealscope even though the information was available online. When he called Rene back to check on it he was told he''d have to print the Idealscope image from the Internet and that the Sarin information is basically on the AGS report. Now I''m hearing this third-hand and I have to admit he''s not quite as thorough as I am about this stuff, but has that been everyone else''s experience with Whiteflash? Regardless of what was communicated, I would like a more official copy of these reports rather than just printing them from the Internet. Especially after reading the recent posting of someone breaking their diamond and how important it was to have detailed information about your diamond.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the ideal scope image and the sarin report online would be the same ones that they would be printing if they were to send them in the mail. the documents sent with the stone are ones that cannot be duplicated and are considered necessary. what is the point in having the extra step of them sending the optional image and sarin when you can print it yourself?

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
I was thinking that it would be more official if they printed it on their paper (letterhead or something). It sounded like GOG sends all of those reports with their diamonds or did I misunderstand that?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of WF actually sending out the IdealScope images or sarin reports in hard copies with their diamonds. I would assume that is not something that they usually do. If you want high quality pictures of those, I would probably get them printed as 4x6 photos from ofoto.com or something like that.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hello ksomerville,

You should have received the original AGS laboratory report with the diamond. The measurements and grading information it contains are more meaningful as documentation than the Sarin numbers run on our premises.

Ideal-scope photos are taken and stored digitally. In order to have a duplicate of the original photograph all you must do is right-click the image on the diamond's web page and save it to your computer (the Sarin info is all digital as well).

I can email these files to you if you like. Though descriptors, they are probably not conventional for insurance companies. It would be interesting to see your agent's reaction to the ideal-scope photo, as these are common parlance here but not in a majority of jewelry valuations.
1.gif

You should also have received a letter of verification as part of the package. This document is also intended to serve for insurance purposes.

Please let me know if I can assist with other particulars.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
I think we both assumed when buying the diamond that the Sarin and Idealscope are factored into the price of the diamond and therefore should be included along with the AGS report. I know if I paid to have the report or Idealscope done I would expect them to be officially prepared and given to me, but maybe these things aren''t included in the price of the diamond to begin with.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
as i see it they were part of the deal. someone took the scans and photos and you can get them in original form with a click. they were created digitally whereas the other documents that you receive with the stone are not. you already have access to exactly what your asking wf to send you. i guess i don’t understand why the fuss. today''s technology is so cool....just click and print!
36.gif
you could even resize the images if you want....or print them on some cool paper.
1.gif

hey!.....maybe i''ll try that....
9.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think we both assumed when buying the diamond that the Sarin and Idealscope are factored into the price of the diamond and therefore should be included along with the AGS report.

Unfortunately, that assumption isn't accurate. The price of the diamond typically includes the diamond and the grading report. The extras....the idealscope, Sarin, etc.....are usually done because vendors recognize the challenges of buying a diamond without seeing it, so they've tried to give you a way to see it. If those images weren't provided, though, the cost of the diamond would still be the same. No different than going to a traditional storefront.....most of the time, diamonds from traditional shops are more expensive and they don't provide anything other than grading report (if even that) either.

I've purchased 4 times from Whiteflash, and I've never received anything other than what John mentioned--nor did I expect to.

The official documentation on a diamond is the grading report. Getting an idealscope or Sarin info on their letterhead isn't any more "official" than storing the image to your computer.

If you want an "official" idealscope, it really should come from your appraiser anyway....my appraiser included such images in his appraisal report.

ksomerville

Rough_Rock
Well, I disagree with you about it not being any more offiicial but the important thing is that I know not to expect these things next time. Thanks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It would be a nice value add to get hard copies of them printed out on company letterhead.
With the low cost of color laser printers I dont see why it would be a big deal to do so.
In a dispute with an insurance company they would be more official that way.

But they arent a good substitute for a full blown detailed appraisal offered by Richard, Rockdoc and Neil and some other independent appraisers.

All reports arent created equal so ask for a sample report first before having any appraisal done.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Now you got me wondering.....because this question has never come up before in my 3 years here.

I found this, which I think will help: http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-education/diamond_toolkit.aspx

"When you purchase a diamond from Whiteflash, the PRICE IS NET and includes your diamond and the diamond certificate, a letter of verification from an independent graduate gemologist appraiser and one free FEDEX overnight shipping (inside the USA only)."

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Strm - we go to some expense to include a letter of verification from a local independent appraiser. It includes weight, color, clarity & laser inscriptions as well as setting details and an approximate retail value. It is not intended as a substitute for a 'full blown detailed appraisal,' but is suitable for insurance and we believe it would be of much greater value in a dispute than a printed ideal-scope image.

Other vendors may choose different configurations of included benefits, but this is ours. Aljdewey - thank you for providing the link.

Kathi,

We do want you to be satisfied - actually we prefer delighted
1.gif
If you like I can print those two images and mail them to you over the weekend to clear up any misunderstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results