shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Diamonds online or international

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aggie92

Rough_Rock
Okay, I''m looking for a diamond for an engagement ring. I thought I had the specifications nailed down.

Size: 1.2-1.4
Clarity: VS1
Color: G
Cut: Ideal (Pretty much a AGS Ideal 0 or GIA 0XX)
Polish/Sym: Id/Id or Ex/Ex
This put me at a limit of $10K

I might look at adjusting these specs. on advise.

I''ve looked on the internet and found the usual websites listed by everyone. I was thinking of going overseas to save so $. If I went to Brazil or Europe could I save enough to pay for the trip there?

Thanks for any Feedback.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You would likely pay more than in the US just about anywhere.
The US is the diamond buying place and the internet vendors survive on the lowest possible margins and stay in business.
Odds are you wont find a better price comparing apples to apples.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not believe that you will find any price advantage by going overseas. It is also unlikely that you will be able to get a better diamond by going overseas as well. All of the common pricescope vendors can tell you story after story of the diamonds that they have sold to people all over the world.

I am not sure how long you have been on pricescope: However, here is my standard advise.

1) If you need to buy the ring now - and do not really know a lot about quality of cut and want ot get a stunning diamond - with certifications on how stunning it is - and pay a reasonable price: Go directly to NiceIce or Good Old Gold.

2) If you need to buy right now, and want a stunning diamond without all the extra certification on how great it is: Go to Whiteflash (A Cut Above), Winfields (Wink Jones - Infinity diamonds), Supperbcert.

3) If you have a few days, but do not want to do the research and learn about quality cut diamonds - post a message here asking for help. There are PS members who will search for you.

4) If you have a few days and want to learn about diamonds, issues, and what makes a great one: read the tutorials a couple of times, the FAQ forum and search the forums.

5) If you have the time and want to really learn about diamonds, issues, and what makes a great one: Read the tutorial severall times, the FAQ forum, and lurk for a while (this can take months to really learn). This is also a way to become part of a great goup of people.

6) If you are going to shop for diamonds from any store - or inspect diamonds shipped in. Get the IdealScope (I also recommend the light table, and you may wish to get a loupe and tweezers as well).

Perry

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would like to add GOG to the list.

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
Remember that while it has gotten slightly better over the last while, the US Dollar is at one of its weakest points in recent history. That has a lot to do with why more and more international buyers are using US sellers (aside from the quality and marks that they desire). While you probably could pull off what you''re talking about with a strong dollar, it would be tougher to do without it.

Lord Summerisle

Brilliant_Rock
other than Antwerp or Amsterdam cant really think of anywhere else...

tho i dunno... apart from the experiance of being in places that have a good diamond district... the cost of the flights, hotel, food etc. will very quickly wipe out any savings that may be there... tho i doubt there are much savings if any to be had... then theres the Tax you pay when you reenter the US.

for a site i know displays prices for a ring + diamond to 3Cs (have no choice on cut) see cool diamonds in £ so see XE for conversion

looking £6.5k - £7.5 for a 1.2ct G VS1 depending on ring design in 18K w/gold so $11.5 - 13.5k

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results