shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying diamond studs for a man...HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

QuadrupleC

Rough_Rock
Hi all, just stumbled on this site and it''s amazing how much I didn''t know about buying diamonds. Well I''ve never bought one. I want to buy a pair of diamond solitaire earrings for my boyfriend. He is 6ft tall, and has a muscular build. I wanted to get some ideas in what would be nice for a guy like that. My budget is about $300. Any suggestions about reasonable offers online would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your budget is really more in line with a gold, non diamond earrings. He sounds like a big enough guy that a tiny pair of diamonds would look lost. Better to have a couple pieces of "manly" metal hanging down than a couple teensy rocks buried in the ear lobe. You could go for CZ rocks to get a decent size, but I don't think diamonds are in the cards for this right now...

QuadrupleC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. I''ve kept looking after I posted my question. I checked out several of the online vendors mentioned and I realized that the diamond business is a new world I may not be ready for. You have no idea how unknowledgeable I was about everything that has anything to do with diamonds. I have actually decided to put up more money for it. I do agree that a tiny diamond would look ridiculous. I don''t mind spending more money even if I can get a decent single stud. Do you have any suggestions on how to get a single stud? He prefers to wear one earring anyway. By the way, what carat/cut would you recommend?

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
I think that 1/3 carat is a good everyday size.
Since you just need one earring, I would buy the diamond loose, and then have it set in the mounting of your choice.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, if it''s going in an earring, you could go down to I1 clarity if you choose carefully, and you don''t need to stay in the upper reaches of colorlessness, either.

I found an ideal cut .29 ct I1 J for under $200 last year. The inclusion, a feather, is white and on the side, so it''s possible to set it mostly under a prong.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do something like one stone; J/K/L SI2 or I1 with a well-placed white inclusion. On the ear it will not be visible and you can go a bit bigger, as longa as the cut is good it will sparkle like the dickens which is what people notice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results