shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Diamond: Store w/ Overhead costs or independ. diamond dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
I have been debating over the place I will get the Best Deal on a quality diamond.

I considered jewelry stores with good reputations, but then wonder about how much
overhead costs (store, taxes, employees, etc.) will get added to the cost of the diamond
VS
an independent diamond dealer, say, in NYC, who I might get a better deal from or even an online dealer
( but I really want to choose the diamond in person).... the only thing is with the independent dealer is
if I ever want to trade up years from now, what''s the likelihood that he/she will still be around??

Even with a jewelry store, how do I know that they will even be around??

Does the following incident sound legit? or reasonable??
I did meet with one jewelry store owner and he told me that he would charge me
$1,000 on top of whatever the Rappaport chart says. So if the diamond cost him
$8,000, he will charge me $9,000. (He upped his price 2 years ago from 500 to 1000)

What is a considerable cost that I can figure that I will pay for overhead when dealing with a store vs dealer?

Any dealers/stores you can recommend in the NYC area?

dottcomm1

Rough_Rock
many people here have gone through interent stores with much success. if you do that, you may want to tell them you were referred through here. another b&m store people rave about is "good old gold" (http://www.goodoldgold.com/), located on long island.

i understand your hesitation re: web buying. i felt the same way. i ended up popping into a boutique owned by a friend of my brother. they were great, and the price was perfect.

keep in mind, you can''t base your purchasing decision on the possibility of upgrading later. you may be so happy you never want to change the ring or even the stone.

there are great people on here with great advice. you''ll get some good answers!

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Why do you think that the independent dealer paid Rap for the diamond?...normally, wholesale prices paid are at a discount to Rap.

As for overhead - it will vary all over the place, but you can expect to pay whatever it is in the place you buy from - otherwise they might as well close shop.

Trade ups - err on the side of a good track record - none of us can read the future, so there are no guarantees.

Good Luck!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The best deal is not always the one with the lowest price. You mentioned an interest in shopping at a store with a good reputation and a desire to shop in person for example. Many people find value in shopping at those nice showrooms and in speaking with those employees. They are not just expenses. The lowest prices, in general, are at the non-stocking online dealers. This comes with it’s own set of problems. Not all dealers are offering the same program, not all internet shops are the same and there’s a whole gambit of options. Pay attention to what you consider to be valuable about the deal and then make sure that’s part of the package you’re shopping for.

The Rapaport chart is irrelevant. If you’ve been told that this will be the dealer’s cost, you are being misled.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

jewelgal

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for your advice. I guess you''re right about the not sure about the future part/upgrading.... so I better be happy This time!

So that guy did seem a bit shady, and he told me he''d charge me $1,000 onto whatever He paid.

Is Abazias online And in NYC? I am curious about Abazias. Someone mentioned Good Old Gold... I should try them out I guess. I definitely want a fair deal though...great price.....One thing I dislike about stores is that everybody can hear your business and what you are talking about..... I''m a very private person and I don''t like another couple hearing about my budget, etc.

Also, can anyone suggest any custom designers??

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
Try Engagement rings direct / Mark Turnowski. He''s a pricescope vendor located in the Diamond district and has a private office.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don''t know if Abazias has facilities to visit with customers or not but I''m sure they would be thrilled to discuss the matter with you if you called them. Many of the internet dealers will arrange to ship to an independent appraiser and you will have an opportunity to examine the stone in a private and usually well considered environment. Both storefront and internet dealers will often have an office where they can meet with you in a more private fashion to show you particular stones. This is not an unusual concern. Ask them about it.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Apprailsals in Denver

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
try good old gold on long island
or diamonds on 5th, in the diamond district
or angel diamond in the diamond district

these are the ones i know. i''m SURE there are others, too.

happy shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results