shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Colored Stones Through Robbins Bros..Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maeraj

Rough_Rock
My dilemma is that I have a beautiful engagement ring that my fiance bought through Robbins Bros a little over a year ago. I had wanted a colored stone in it but was unsure of what kind I wantedso he went ahead and got the ring with a cubic zirconia so that when I knew what I wanted we could get the stone and have it replaced.

My ring is under full warranty and Robbins Bros. told me that it would no longer be covered if I got the stone through someone other than them. When I went to the store they tried to convince me to get a diamond, even though I do not like diamonds, they then told me to go to a colored stone vendor, have them answer all my questions and help me, and then come to them when I know exactly what I am looking for. I found this pretty outrageous because I was going to pay them for having someone else provide me with excellent service just because they would only help me if I wanted a diamond.

I called the store the next day and told the manager what happened and she immediately offered to make an appointment to help me personally. She was very courteous and helpful over the phone and said that she was a "certified gemologist" through GIA.

Is being a "certified" gemologist different than being a "registered" gemologist? Should I just forget about my warranty and get a stone elsewhere? After having diamonds shoved down my throat at RB, I am a little weary of buying a colored gemstone from them. Should I give this "certified" manager a chance or kiss my warranty good bye and get a gem elsewhere?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly, I’d like to question their warranty. I am always leery of such warrantees which are easily voided by seemingly inconsequential excuses, say by missing the regular prong checkup by a week or something like that. You can do a search about such warrantees here on PS and you’ll find out that they are practically worthless. Most other jeweller stores will clean and check your prongs for free. Sizing and re-plating are very inexpensive and not something that is done often anyway. Personally, I find that I get more, better and less expensive coloured gemstone options by staying away from the mall, chain stores or generally any B&M store.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have not purchased anything from Robbin''s Bros, but it is the retail B&M attitude of many stores that all you should ever buy is a diamond. They really are not equipped and knowlegable enough to deal with the complexities that colored stones entail, especially chain B&M stores (not all B&M stores, but most).

Buying a colored gem is a whole other world regarding enhancements, treatments, color, saturation levels, cutting, and the whole nine yards. It''s much more difficult to buy a colored gem than a white diamond, and you''re a lot more likely to get taken advantage of as well.

Therefore, I would highly suggest you learn the most about the colored gem species you love and ask lots of questions on Pricescope about that gem in an effort to obtain that knowledge. I would not place too much trust into Robbins Bros since I have heard nightmare stores about them, and the one near my home went out of business recently. I believe it was open less than 2 years.

Maeraj

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all your advice, I will definitely look into the warranty and find out how qualified their manager really is.

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It always surprises me how a retail jeweler will not want to take peoples money. Add to that, that colored stones usually have more of a profit range than diamonds, this should have been a no brainer for them!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope Maeraj.

Can you post a picture of your e-ring, or at least describe it to us. Do you have a copy of the warranty? What does it say? Let''s see if there is any value in the warranty first of all.

I wholeheartedly agree with what has been said here. Do not trust this retailer to get you a quality coloured stone at a realistic price.

Have you thought about the type of stone you would like? If you are not sure of the names of gemstones, just tell us what colour you would like.

There are plenty of people here who will help you achieve your dream.

Congratulations on your engagement.

lelser

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/24/2010 3:06:56 PM
Author:Maeraj

I called the store the next day and told the manager what happened and she immediately offered to make an appointment to help me personally. She was very courteous and helpful over the phone and said that she was a ''certified gemologist'' through GIA.

If she used that term in that way, I''d run. GIA has a Graduate Gemologist degree. AGS offers a Certified Gemologist designation which requires a recognized gemological degree - GG or FGA or other - plus annual exams. They must also work for a store with membership in good standing with AGS.

Someone who incorrectly states her qualifications makes me very uncomfortable. Buy the stone you want from the place you want, and find a good custom goldsmith to get it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results