shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Colored Stones Through Robbins Bros..Dilema

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maeraj

Rough_Rock
My dilemma is that I have a beautiful engagement ring that my fiance bought through Robbins Bros a little over a year ago. I had wanted a colored stone in it but was unsure of what kind I wanted so he went ahead and got the ring with a cubic zirconia so that when I knew what I wanted we could get the stone and have it replaced.

My ring is under full warranty and Robbins Bros. told me that it would no longer be covered if I got the stone through someone other than them. When I went to the store they tried to convince me to get a diamond, even though I do not like diamonds, they then told me to go to a colored stone vendor, have them answer all my questions and help me, and then come to them when I know exactly what I am looking for. I found this pretty outrageous because I was going to pay them for having someone else provide me with excellent service just because they would only help me if I wanted a diamond.

I called the store the next day and told the manager what happened and she immediately offered to make an appointment to help me personally. She was very courteous and helpful over the phone and said that she was a "certified gemologist" through GIA.

Is being a "certified" gemologist different than being a "registered" gemologist? Should I just forget about my warranty and get a stone elsewhere? After having diamonds shoved down my throat at RB, I am a little weary of buying a colored gemstone from them. Should I give this "certified" manager a chance or kiss my warranty good bye and get a gem elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results