shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an ungraded antique diamond ring?

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Hi all, I was wondering anyone here ever buys uncertified/graded stones? I have only bought uncertified stones (not that I have many) and I’ve gotten lucky. But there is one that I am looking at that’s expensive for me….1.9ct i/j vs1-2 round. It looks beautiful, but it would be a big spend for me! It’s $6000. Is that a good price? I’ve attached the images I have. C8B97B14-85FC-455B-A9F9-DA8DCD0DCEAA.jpeg 54635115-2D6F-4023-A66D-BC1FFE94A09F.jpeg

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Apologies, it is a Mrb I’d say, it’s from the 50’s!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
It is a sizeable diamond. Do you like mrb and happy with non ideal light return? When it's uncerted we could easily assume that it's a few colour grades lower and clarity grades lower too. Would that still be a good price?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have to be gobsmacked smitten with either the stones faceting or the setting design to do so.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
It is a sizeable diamond. Do you like mrb and happy with non ideal light return? When it's uncerted we could easily assume that it's a few colour grades lower and clarity grades lower too. Would that still be a good price?

Thanks they are great questions! I think you guys are right, it’s too risky. I won’t get to see it in real life and returns are harder when it’s to a different country. I love the look of it but it would be a huge buy for me!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Too be honest I went down a similar path and regret it. I have a very similar MRB that is “early” as in mid century. It’s uncerted and was about the same price per carat as this one and a little bigger. It’s not a good performer at all

I ended up quite unhappy with it and think the stats are worse than described by the vendors in house grader. I dread the day I send it to GIA and learn more…the only reason I will is so I can recut it

very expensive mistake!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I may have been bold again…..but with a real antique this time…. :roll: 2.6ct si1 k colour not graded, eeeek I have it on hold and trying to decide!
0359F845-770A-48F4-8994-6F1FF01089ED.jpeg EE6B7E4D-C7A4-4D62-8CC0-693EC13C9946.png

Last edited:

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Ok so I have to make a decision on the five stone ring! I am completely satisfied with my solitaire/big diamond rings, and don’t need any more rings really, but I know that I’ll have a time coming up (house related) to at will mean no spending at all. The 5 stone is well priced for the size, it’s €2300 and layaway is accepted. No returns if you use the layaway option. What do you think? Could I do better?

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So.. it's not really a need/want thing right? its so gorg..<3

1631631552868.png

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If she doesn't tickle your fancy she would ALWAYS find her way to her rightful place in another ladies dream jewelry collection. All pieces end up exactly where they need to be. I am a full believer of that. The real question is, is she worth investing the time and effort in seeing in person if she is truly as magical as she looks? Because the truth is you're still looking for something. Weather it is her, or another gorgeous chunky sister from another mister.... another piece will make it's way into your collection. Good luck!!!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
What's the return like on that 5 stone? It is a bargain and looks quite nice! I think it's a good buy if the stones are lively. Can you get a video of it?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s very pretty and I’m not surprised it’s not graded, antique 5 stones like that usually are not. Having said that I would be very surprised if it’s actually K color, I see more tint in some of those photos than in my N color.

weemie

Shiny_Rock
It’s very pretty and I’m not surprised it’s not graded, antique 5 stones like that usually are not. Having said that I would be very surprised if it’s actually K color, I see more tint in some of those photos than in my N color.

That wouldn’t surprise me, and I don’t think that would bother me too much. I have my m solitaire (though a couple of jewellers think it may be a light fancy) and I love it. My only concern is that they are not completely clean stones, that would bother me more. I’m waiting to hear back as she has something else she thinks I may like, I’ve been bugging her so much o think she knows what I like now!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
What's the return like on that 5 stone? It is a bargain and looks quite nice! I think it's a good buy if the stones are lively. Can you get a video of it?

No returns if I do layaway, which I’d like to do! Video on the way!

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Ok so I really need help now, the first ring is SI2, k/L and 2.6 carats, €2300. I’ll attach a video! She just said she got another, it’s 2carats, vs g/h but €3200.
Here is a video of the 1st, 2.6 carat

weemie

Shiny_Rock
Here are pictures of the 2carat and a video 02FFFA3F-A357-498A-A89F-9AE10DB219DE.jpeg 012DFF4C-FD9A-46A2-A755-9612C9327F76.jpeg 0463E420-FA37-40B3-B4C1-793C37F72E37.jpeg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
If the videos are in the same lighting then the 2ctw band seems more lively. Sorry to be a pain but can they do a comparison video. Like both in one. The 2.6ctw band seems pretty flat

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I think I’ll be shot if I bug her anymore! I agree, unfortunately! I think I’ll have to leave them, as I want the chunkiness of the 2.6!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would have to agree with you. After viewing the first video of chunky bachelorette #1, she kind of fell flat. Zero pizazz on that one.. the second acted spectacular but she was indeed less of a "fat bottom girl" [thank you queen]. As the green goddess behind the counter in the underworld said in Beetlejuice "NEXT!"

weemie

Shiny_Rock
I would have to agree with you. After viewing the first video of chunky bachelorette #1, she kind of fell flat. Zero pizazz on that one.. the second acted spectacular but she was indeed less of a "fat bottom girl" [thank you queen]. As the green goddess behind the counter in the underworld said in Beetlejuice "NEXT!"

Exactly this!!! Thank you! The search will go on, and I’m ok with that!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results