shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an Uncertified Diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nostra

Rough_Rock
I am thinking of purchasing a 1.54 H VS2 trillion solitare for $8200.

Seems to be competitive with everything else I have seen. However, 1 potential BIG problem.... The diamond has no cert of anykind. The place is a local diamond importer that gets stones from Isreal or so they say. However the place came highly recommended by 2 people.

They say they will appraise it for me at 18K.

Should I question the authenticity?
33.gif

jenwill

Brilliant_Rock
Well, good diamonds do not have to have certs. But, I would not just take their appraisal for it either.

I would ask them to either:
Have them send it to an independent appraiser for evaluation before you buy it,
or
Have them guarantee (in writing) that if after you buy it and take it immediately to have it appraised, if it does not appraise within 1 level of H VS2, that they will give you your money back.

If they do not agree to one of those, I would pass. Just my opinion.

nostra

Rough_Rock
I read that:

"Another simple way to distinguish glass from cubic zirconia from diamond is to get a hold of a long-wave ultraviolet light (also called a black light). Diamonds will usually glow blue, cubic zirconia will glow mustard yellow, and glass will not glow at all."

Is this true??

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2005 8
6.gif
5:20 PM
Author: jenwill
Well, good diamonds do not have to have certs. But, I would not just take their appraisal for it either.

I would ask them to either:
Have them send it to an independent appraiser for evaluation before you buy it,
or
Have them guarantee (in writing) that if after you buy it and take it immediately to have it appraised, if it does not appraise within 1 level of H VS2, that they will give you your money back.

If they do not agree to one of those, I would pass. Just my opinion.
I have to disagree with the second part of your answer. Choose (and pay) the appraiser yourself instead of letting them do it. For starters, this puts the appraiser in the position of working for you and not the dealer and it makes it difficult for the dealer to decide that they are unhappy with what the appraiser had to say and simply ''lose'' the report until they can find an appraiser who more agreeable with their opinions.

If you can at all arrange it, schedule an appointment with the appraiser where you can ask specific questions in person.

Don''t put a great deal of emphasis on the bottom line number on the appraisal unless you understand what market they are describing. this can be very misleading if you aren''t careful. The most important questions for the appraiser are going to be about the grading on the stone, expecially the cut.

I also partially disagree with the first part. Pretty much any new stone of those specs was examined by a lab soon after cutting. The fact that this report hasn''t made it as far as your dealer is not a good sign. Maybe they just misplaced it but more likely someone decided that the grade was better than what the report described and so the report became more of a liability than an asset. The lack of a lab report isn''t a deal killer, but it should raise your attention.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/21/2005 8:55:51 PM
Author: nostra
I read that:

''Another simple way to distinguish glass from cubic zirconia from diamond is to get a hold of a long-wave ultraviolet light (also called a black light). Diamonds will usually glow blue, cubic zirconia will glow mustard yellow, and glass will not glow at all.''

Is this true??
no

nostra

Rough_Rock
Neil- I live in Colorado Springs.

What do you think of the price that I am getting in this market?

Do you have any local stores in the Springs that you would NOT recommend?

nostra

Rough_Rock
are there any other inputs out here?

I could be buying this week and I really need some advice on this.

nostra

Rough_Rock
that is my concern... because I have referred to this guy from 2 very good friends, I am worried about insulting them and losing a potential good contact

I am going to see them again tomorrow and see what I can work out.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nostra,

I quite specifically don’t recommend for or against individual dealers but I’ll be happy to schedule an appointment to look at your stone in person and give you a more considered opinion of it.
Neil Beaty
G(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results