shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying an engagement ring, need rock help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaje77

Rough_Rock
I''m new to this diamond shopping process and any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I''ve found the right forum. My gut says I should trust those here more than someone actually trying to sell me the diamond.

I have been comparing diamonds/rings from the following places:
Costco
NiceIce
BlueNile
KasaabJewelers (local, Portland OR)

My budget is between 2000, and 3000.

I know that I will be getting a princess cut (H or better, SI1 or better, and a good to excellent cut), with white gold band,

Deciding exactly what willl look the best is tough to figure out. For a moment I thought I had a handle on things, then I started to look at too many diamonds and rings so it is becoming a big blur.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can throw suggestions or advice my way!!

Kevin

Agent3Civ

Shiny_Rock
Kevin,

I know exactly where you are coming from. I just recently purchased a ring and I knew little to nothing before posting and reading all the information here. These people will stear you in the right direction.

In my opinion, go with the excellent cut for the diamond. The cut is the most important of the 4 c''s. Besides that it kinda depends on the diamonds. What are you looking for, meaning do you want a big diamond where you will sacrifice clarity and color? or is color most important to you? I think the best deal is getting something like an SI1 that is eye clean.

Kaje77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the prompt response. I agree that this forum\website seems to be the prime place for information and help.

Yes, something eyeclean matters more to me since more money spent on qualities unseen or unnoticeable aren''t important right now. Perhaps down the road we could upgrade the ring to something heirloom-esque(?).

"True Love is the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT (Mutton, Lettuce, and Tomatto) especially when the mutton is real lean"

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Out of the vendors you listed NiceIce has a very good reputation here. BlueNile doesn''t usually provide enough info for most Pricescopers to purchase and because they don''t stock most of their stones, getting that info/pictures etc. is difficult.

Kaje77

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. Thus far I''ve used BlueNiles search engine to help me get info to have other stores look into.

I''d like to add one more store, simply because the deal looks too good: SignedPieces.com

Are these rings that are "used" and are being resold?

KJ

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 3:02:44 PM
Author: Kaje77
Thanks for the info. Thus far I''ve used BlueNiles search engine to help me get info to have other stores look into.

I''d like to add one more store, simply because the deal looks too good: SignedPieces.com

Are these rings that are ''used'' and are being resold?

KJ
Yes, the signed pieces rings are "used." However, many diamonds had previos owners before they get to you. When people trade up etc, they don''t just throw them away
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaje welcome to PS
35.gif
As mrssalvo says, a good way to look is to look at vendor''s sites who have the diamonds in house and have all the cut quality info available etc - make cut your most important C. Your colour and clarity specs should give you a good bang for the buck, you could even consider an SI2 if eyeclean. Go to the PS vendors page and check out the sites such as

Good Old Gold
Whiteflash
James Allen
Wink Jones

and I am sure there are more that I have missed. These vendors are great to deal with and guide you every step of the way. They also can eyeball the diamonds for you and have all the cut quality info you need to start looking. Hope this helps.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 2:52:52 PM

''True Love is the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT (Mutton, Lettuce, and Tomatto) especially when the mutton is real lean''
i love the princess bride!
36.gif

try using the ''pricescope your diamond'' search tool above. you can search for stones that are ''in house'' to narrow the selection.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick hijack - Miss Belle, I love that movie too!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would definitely contact Todd at NiceIce, and explain him what you are looking for. He is a great guy, and he will give you the best possible assistance.

Live long,

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/18/2006 3:25:55 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 4/18/2006 3:02:44 PM

Are these rings that are ''used'' and are being resold?

KJ

Yes, the signed pieces rings are ''used.'' However, many diamonds had previos owners before they get to you. When people trade up etc, they don''t just throw them away
1.gif

Actually I believe only the designer pieces are 2nd hand. Their facets collection are new.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results