shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a loose stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

manekineko

Rough_Rock
Dear All,

guess what?....I am looking for a stone for her engagement ring and would like not over pay it.

After several hours spent on this fantastic site trying to get some clue about the shining but quite complex domain of diamonds I got a pretty clear idea about what I am looking for but still have some questions you will be probably able to answer.

The ideal stone I am looking for (in bold the preferred choice):
cut - Excellent or Very good
clarity - VVS2/VS1
color grade - D/E/F
carat - about 0.65

The questions:

-) Is it really worth to ask for an Excellent cut grade or I can leave with a "Very Good" one. Actually on Pricescope it is "said" that it is not really worthy to go for a "Excellent" cut grade and a "Very good" one will return almost as much light as an "Excellent" one...
34.gif

-) Do you know the european dealer aaaadiamonds.com? Comments? And, by any chance did you know "ArtGem" one of its associates?

-) Infact ArtGem pretends that the cut grade "Excellent" does not exists in Europe and Very Good is the highest one and equivalent to the USA GIA, AGS Excellent.....is it true???? On the IGI site I found the cut grade "Excellent" but only in the english section....?!?

-) they also propose stones with quite large tables (about 61%, 62%) if comparred to the reccomended 53-58% for 1A grade....whihc is the acceptable limit for an Excellent/Very good cut?

-) Do you know any accredited Gem appraisers operating in Europe (better if in Paris)?

-) it is my understanding that the order of preference would be: AGS, GIA, HRD, IGI but probably they will propose to me only HRD and IGI cert stones. In the case I can not make a decision between 2 stones similar in characteristics and prices but with differente certificates (HRD, IGI), for which one of the 2 I should go ?

-) can you give me a price range ($/carat) for above characteristics? (It seems that a fair price would be about 4700 $/carat, do you agree?)

-) how much, in percentage, a different cut ("Very good" instead of Excellent) or color grade can affect the above price (just a give or take existimation)?

Thanks in advance for your answers
34.gif
'');" alt="Insert smilie
34.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/34.gif" align="absMiddle border=0">

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Welcome. With just a quick read, recommend you consider that only going for the best cut should work, since you don''t necessarily have to pay significantly more for that neglected feature. And, your price point can be more like $4500 per carat, with your target diamond at $2925. Experiment with this tool, and see the two options I saw, one each from Dirt Cheap Diamonds and White Flash, and you may see others as well.

Best wishes,

manekineko

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot Ira Z. for your advice.
21.gif
'');" height=15 alt="Insert smilie
21.gif
" src="http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/21.gif" width="15 border=0">.......we will see what they will propose to me....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results