shape
carat
color
clarity

BUYING...1.52 F VS2 Ideal cut EGL cert Yes/ NO??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Heem11

Rough_Rock
HElp, Too much information on this site...I am thinking of buying this diamond below and wondering how much should I pay for it. Entering the specs on the "Holloway Cut Advisor" it says 5.2-Good-(only if price is main criteria), but my Question is what is the price that this should sell for.

1.52ct, F VS2 ideal cut, EGL cert
VG/EX (pol/sym)
Depth: 63.7
Table: 58
Crown: 15%
Pavilion: 44%
UV: none
Culet: none

Price?????

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/5/2006 2:23:19 AM
Author:Heem11
HElp, Too much information on this site...I am thinking of buying this diamond below and wondering how much should I pay for it. Entering the specs on the ''Holloway Cut Advisor'' it says 5.2-Good-(only if price is main criteria), but my Question is what is the price that this should sell for.

1.52ct, F VS2 ideal cut, EGL cert
VG/EX (pol/sym)
Depth: 63.7
Table: 58
Crown: 15%
Pavilion: 44%
UV: none
Culet: none

Price?????
that stone looks too deep.
38.gif

Heem11

Rough_Rock
thank you for your reply, but i was wondering how can it be Too Deep and be classified as an Ideal Cut. What determines if it is labeled "ideal cut"

Also I looked at it today and the inclusions are very hard to see, and I am not sure how the color compares (since he only showed me that one, so couldnt make out the difference)..the price he quoted me was $10500...too much???

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
That stone should NOT be called "ideal cut"
Do not buy - no matter the price

Heem11

Rough_Rock
thank you everyone for your quick response, one additional question, i see that the Depth is too deep, but I was also concerned about the pavilion being 44% (compared to the desired 43%), because that seemed to change the Holloway rating the most. Any comments on that.. thanks
33.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, to me they are both big red flags. Keep looking and find one that has a great cut!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here's the skinny ... any yahoo can call a stone "ideal cut" ... but it doesn't make it so. Think of it like reading a car catalog and the place trying to sell you the car says it's "high performance". What does that mean? It's arguable. Like calling a dress "beautiful". Is it? Who knows? You be the judge.

That's why Pricescope is so helpful ... seperates the bullsh*t from the cream. Plenty of folks on here can help guide you so you don't believe Joe Blow's "ideal" rating & can more accurately judge the "cut grade" of different stones using tools on Pscope or just good ol' fashioned know-how. People who don't have a "stake" in your purchase ... only the desire to help ya pick a KNOCK-OUT ROCK.

ETA: I noticed you didn't include dimensions for your stone ... THAT's how you determine how BIG it will look, NOT carat weight. A stone that deep might look SMALLER than other 1.52 carat stones ... and comparing DIMENSIONS with other 1.5ish carats stones would tell the tale!

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Heem, that stone really looks to be quite poor. What brings it over 10,000 is its clarity, for sure, but clarity (while important) does not rule over cut, in my view.

I have a 1.52ct RB, F, SI2 and we paid over $1000.00 less than the price you were quoted.

There are quite a few stones I can show you for reference, but here's the first one I stumbled upon without digging around too much.

-----------------------------
For just $500 more ($11,020 with PS discount) you can have one of James Allen's Signature Ideals:
Item Number: 8448842
Shape: Round
Carat weight: 1.55
Cut: Signature Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: AGS
Depth: 61.2%
Table: 54%
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Girdle: 0.9-1.6
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 7.47*7.50*4.58
-------------------------------------

The color and clarity are both one grade lower, but the grading report looks really clean and so does the magnified image. Granted, the HCA is 0.5, and many people prefer this number to be between 1.0 and 2.0, but this is still a beautiful stone that is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better bet than what you are currently considering.

8448842.JPG

...and here's the link to the stone on the JA website:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=315328

ETA: and I just realized, your original stone is graded by EGL, so it is entirely possible it isn't an F/VS2 anyway... but more like G or H, SI1... so... now, with most other things being equal, we're looking at cut. Again, I'm not saying this is THE BEST STONE OUT THERE for you, but simply demonstrating how easy it is to find a diamond infinitely better than the one you were looking at... so... keep digging.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results