shape
carat
color
clarity

Buried Treasure in the form of Diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joflier

Ideal_Rock
So here is my story of buried treasure....(had to start a new thread, instead of hijacking the christmas one)
31.gif

My dh and I were on a roadtrip and we both love antiques, so as we were driving through different areas, we were stopping at antique shops, estate sales, garage sales, etc. Somewhere in southern Illinois there was a big estate sale with items from multiple estates. They had about 5 or 6 large boxes full of cosutme jewelry. I don''t wear much costume stuff myself, but I love it nonetheless, and usually buy it to sell on eBay. So I got all these boxes for about $300. The estate handlers were happy to be rid of all of it!
After we got home, I spent about a week sorting and going through the boxes, finding small pieces of fine jewelry mixed in. A gold chain here, an tiny opal necklace there. That was exciting. So I had piles of necklaces, piles of brooches, and piles of rings. As I was putting all the junk rings into a smaller container, I just happened to relook at this nasty old rhinestone ring...And low and behold it was stamped 14k on the inside....Oh boy, my heart started to race a little bit.
6.gif

It was so grimy and dirty, it truely looked like an old glass rhinestone that had been buried in someones backyard...So I ran to the sink and let it soak for a few minutes. And wow, there''s some sparkle there.....So I pulled out the diamond tester, and nearly passed out!!!!!
I haven''t had it appraised, but I took it to a jeweler friend to get a few specs. Its a .85 center stone oec, J VS2, and a great cut, with so much sparkle its ridiculous. Has the hearts and arrows and all!
I felt so lucky and blessed as my husband and I married young and couldn''t afford an ering, I just had a nice diamond wedding ring. So now I had my dream e-ring!
36.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a story! That is wonderful and such a beautiful ring!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Also, if anyone has any thoughts as far as dating the setting, let me know! It looks like a depression setting, but not sure..

buriedtreasure00.JPG

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Profile view

oldeuroring013.JPG

joflier

Ideal_Rock

oldeuroring019.JPG

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
OMG, that is such a great story. I saw the pictures you posted of it on the Christmas thread and thought it looked antique... and it is!! It is so beautiful!!!!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
.85 is a nice size! What a great find!!!!
36.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock

myoec055.JPG

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
holy cow thats an awesome story and such a pretty ring too!!!!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely story and the ring is just drop dead gorgeous. What a lucky find.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous ring! You''re SO lucky to have found such a beauty!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awwwwwww, what a great story!! Luscious ring....congratulations on finding such a treasure.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
what an awesome story! Whenever I see a box of costume jewelry at a sale, I always think, hmmm, maybe there is something good in there... but I never find anything!
I don''t know about the date but I love the setting and the stone. So so pretty! Thank you for sharing.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how cool is that, it was fate!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
That is a FANTASTIC find!!! Loved reading your story! Let us know what it appraises for.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE it, it''s SO SO SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!
30.gif
You are such a lucky ducky, my friend. The stone and setting are just gorgeous. Congratulations on the wonderfully amazing find!!!!!!!!!

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Wait....AND it fits?!! How perfect!!! Congrats!!

vivianv

Shiny_Rock
Spectacular find! Lucky you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!! What a great story! I am really happy for you! And I think that setting is just beautiful, too!
36.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wonderful--ring and story! Congrats!

cheers--Sharon

MajorGroove

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring! The style of the setting is very similar to my grandmother''s e-ring, what with the sort of boxy, squared-off head, so I would say you''re looking at the correct time frame.
1.gif

jmwhite

Rough_Rock
WOW! I always look in costume jewelry boxes when I go into junk stores! That is absolutely amazing...I am so happy for you!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a find! It''s gorgeous!

shigidigi

Shiny_Rock
That is the most amazing find I have ever heard of in my life!!! I inherited my great grandmother''s ering and it looks incredibly similar and she was married in 1920, so perhaps it''s even older!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks so much for all your comments! Its so exciting cause, I''ve not always had good luck! Now if only the lottery ticket thing would work out.....
31.gif

joflier

Ideal_Rock

christmasbling022.JPG

joflier

Ideal_Rock

bling019.JPG

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, good for you! It is beautiful, congratulations!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful find, congrats on finding a diamond within the rough, so to speak!!!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 10:06:36 PM
Author: waterlilly
Wait....AND it fits?!! How perfect!!! Congrats!!
It did....though it was snug, about a 6.5 so I had it brought up to a size 7. And its nice, because even though its a J, you''d never really notice, in most lights it still looks fairly white.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results