shape
carat
color
clarity

Budget 1/2 carat from Whiteflash

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

goodstuffmaynard

Rough_Rock
So I started my diamond engagement ring journey by not knowing anything really and going to the mall to see what they had. I went to Kay Jewelers and Riddle''s Jewelry. Riddle''s had 1/2 carat rings for under a thousand which I was impressed at but they were I2/L''s which I knew enough to stay away from. Kay''s had better quality rings and had a 1/2 carat SI2/D for $1900 but I felt like I could do better so I decided to check online.

I came here and it seems that Whiteflash is overwhelmingly the place to go so I''m seriously considering them right now. The only problem is their massive selection. :) I guess it is a good kind of problem though.

So my question is, what should I generally be looking for? I''m thinking about a platinum setting which will be around $500 and for the diamond itself I''m looking to spend $1000-1300 max I think. I''m currently thinking about a 1/2 ct, ACA round cut, E-J, SI1/2. But even with these narrow conditions I still get a reasonable sized list of diamonds to choose from, so how do I choose?

For example here is one I''m looking at:
Click meh!

But I could just as easily go with this one and save $300 and (maybe) not know the difference?
Click me, I''m cheaper!

But I could''ve just as easily picked any of the others. At this carat size/price range, plus considering I''m wanting platinum, what attributes should I be paying the most attention to? Will a HIJ be too yellow on platinum? Will a .55 ct look noticeably bigger than a .45? So many questions, so little time! :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pewrsonally i would set H as a minimum color, and SI1 if you are under 30 (and both have great eyesight).

WF have an expert selection with ideal-scope photo''s - check them out - few people can tell the difference between H&A''s and very nice non H&A''s, except Brian the cutter - but he is even nuttier than me
17.gif

F is the best $ value colorless color.

You can learn about ideal-scopes here under tools (top right)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agreed with Garry...

... but, if there''s no H/SI1 above half a carat andwithng the budget, I''d rather go SI2 than I-J. Surely this isn''t any hard rule - my 2c opinion.

Between the two diamonds listed, the F/SI2 beckons more. And aside those, THIS half carat E-SI2 does.

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
I like the one valerie picked without going to look. I think WF''s expert selection diamonds are a GREAT value. I just bought a 1ct E SI2 from the expert selection and I love it. I cannot see the inclusion unless I''m in my bathroom and I squint and that''s only after looking at it under a loupe 20 times. If I were you with the budget, don''t pay the premium for the ACA line.

Also, If you wire the money, ask for the discount and you can get some money off their listed price. Give them a call and ask for the cash price. My diamond was listed at 4900 and I got it for 4777.

Jaime

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I diagree with Sir Garry,
Id go I maybe J color, in a 1/2 ct its plenty white for most people.
Eyeclean si1 or 2
kicken cut
Large as I can get

And Garry no one here is nuttier than you LOL

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that .555 kewl wt numbers
How many ct is that?
.555 has a nice ring to it :}

goodstuffmaynard

Rough_Rock
Ok, thanks for the help guys and gals. I''m thinking about going with this diamond in this setting.

Couple more questions:

1) I don''t know her ring size and don''t think I could find out without ruining the surprise. Think I''m just going to go with size 6 (she has small hands/smaller fingers) and then resize if I have to. Does anybody know if WF resizes for free? Or would it be easier to just take it to a local jeweler?

2) Do I go ahead and just buy it from WF or what is my next step here? Should I get in contact with somebody from WF to look at the diamond first or how does that work? How do I know if the diamond I am selecting is in stock or a virtual diamond?

3) Anybody have experience with how fast the overnight delivery is? If I ordered tomorrow (Wed) would it possibly get here by Friday or is that asking to much?

Thanks again.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 2:27:19 PM
Author: goodstuffmaynard
Ok, thanks for the help guys and gals. I''m thinking about going with this diamond in this setting.
verra nice
2.gif

1) I don''t know her ring size and don''t think I could find out without ruining the surprise. Think I''m just going to go with size 6 (she has small hands/smaller fingers) and then resize if I have to. Does anybody know if WF resizes for free? Or would it be easier to just take it to a local jeweler?
does she have any rings at all that you could get a size off of? that would be most helpful.
if you need to have the ring resized, it would be easier and quicker to have a local jeweler do it.

2) Do I go ahead and just buy it from WF or what is my next step here? Should I get in contact with somebody from WF to look at the diamond first or how does that work? How do I know if the diamond I am selecting is in stock or a virtual diamond?
you don''t *have* to contact someone at wf to look at the stone. if you like it, buy it! i think it looks great! (isn''t that enough!?
11.gif
)
the diamond you selected is in stock, as noted by the ''in stock ready to ship'' statement under the carat weight at the top.
2.gif

3) Anybody have experience with how fast the overnight delivery is? If I ordered tomorrow (Wed) would it possibly get here by Friday or is that asking to much?

Thanks again.
overnight delivery is....overnight
2.gif
it does take a day or two to set the stone though. if you ordered very early wednesday, i would say it is entirely possible to have the completed ring by friday.

the quickest way of communicating is always by phone. if you need something fast, you should call.
2.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Oh damn, I was looking at that .468 as a small upgrade to my .338!
39.gif
I suggested it to one other person here (argh&stuff is his user name) and if he didn''t leap on it, I was going too.
27.gif
But, I''d rather have someone who wants it get it before me since mine would just be a stepping stone to everntually a larger diamond
31.gif

Also, I have a 18K white gold wedding band from Signedpieces and have to tell you, I see no difference between teh 18K white gold and my Platinum e-ring. You could always go with an 18K setting and put that extra $200-$300 you''d save into the diamond!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Feb,

I liked the other one listed at that price a bit more, so please don''t snatch it from me yet. I''m waiting for my girl to call me with the difference in the price of the setting we''re thinking about, and that should be the deciding factor.

(But, if you really like it, enjoy it and have fun with it!)

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Argh-

No way! I''m not even thinking about that stone right now because it''s been flagged by at least two people (you being one) here who are interested. I would not be a very good Pricescoper if I did that!
38.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I''m with Storm. Limit your looking to only H''s and above and IMHO you could miss some really KILLER stones. I have an AGS-0 2.36 J that''s gorgeous and VERY "white".

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Feb,

Haha... I didn''t know the rules of being a good PSer. I''ll have to remember them, so that way, if anyone "steals" my diamond, I can tell them they don''t play by rules!
9.gif

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Feb,

How does the "trade up" process work with WF?

I mean, what sort of trade in value do you get when you upgrade with them?

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/28/2006 8:15:06 PM
Author: argh&stuff
Feb,

How does the ''trade up'' process work with WF?

I mean, what sort of trade in value do you get when you upgrade with them?
Lifetime Trade Up
At any point after you have purchased your diamond from Whiteflash.com, you may contact us to trade up your diamond.
The trade up value will be for the full purchase amount.
Diamond needs to be in its original undamaged condition and accompanied by its original certificate.
If original certificate has been misplaced, there is a $200 re-certification charge.
Please note that EGL certified diamonds do not qualify for our one year buy back or lifetime upgrade policy.
Setting and applicable charges may apply

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
Oh, I guess I''m lazy and could have looked that up myself.

Thanks!

argh&stuff

Shiny_Rock
(GOODSTUFF, I apologize for temporarily taking over your thread. I will post additional questions regarding upgrades with WF on my thread.)

goodstuffmaynard

Rough_Rock
Just ordered the diamond and setting I decided on above. Should hopefully arrive before this weekend. :) Thanks again for the help!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! I can''t wait to see the pictures!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Kudos for choosing PS over the mall stores.
2.gif

Small

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
Congrats...looks beautiful
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results