shape
carat
color
clarity

Bruce Fry tourmaline collection/colors

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I wanted to show this page of bruce fry''s tourmaline collection he has posted on the Gemology Project. It has just about every color you can imagine in tourmaline and many cuporians also. What is nice is many of them have nice little descriptions when you click on the pic. I am sure some of you have seen them before but for those that haven''t it''s pretty nice to see the multitude of colors.
http://www.gemologyproject.com/wiki/index.php?title=Images:Tourmaline

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice! He''s got a dark purple cuprian!
30.gif

-A

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! What a feast for the eyes. Thank you Jason for posting the link. I hope we start seeing more private collections here. Colourmyworld, Zeolite are you listening?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an fabulous tourmlaine collection. That 16 carat dark purple is a sight to behold. What a rarity. I see most of his collection is from Mozambique which has a wide range of color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A huge spectrum of colours and I get weak when I see that gorgeous red and blue step cut tourmalines.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I had no idea that the dark purple color even existed in tourmaline. What a great color.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW that''s quite a collection! I guess tourmalines are popular because they come in so many lovely colors!? TFS!!

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/4/2010 5:27:29 PM
Author: Gailey
Oh wow! What a feast for the eyes. Thank you Jason for posting the link. I hope we start seeing more private collections here. Colourmyworld, Zeolite are you listening?
Gailey, have the picture posting rules changed? I''ve seen two distinct separate pictures in one post. It would be very helpful for collections, to enter say, 30 pictures in one post.

On Bruce''s collection: I have to say for variety of color, it is the finest tourmaline collection I''ve ever seen. In past times, Brazil was very good for quantity and variety, but much less so now. Nigeria and Mozambique seem prolific now. I think the finest tourmalines on average today come from Afghanistan. And I would say that for variety of color, Mozambique produces more than the entire rest of the world put together.

What is fascinating about Bruce''s collection are the purples, lavenders, and violets. I do not have a single purple, lavender, and violet in my tourmaline collection, nor have I seen a single cut or rough one for sale in the last 25 years.

I think his secret is that he has access to unheated cuprian tourmaline rough from Mozambique. All the ones I see on the market have already been burned to blue or green.

PSers seem to think that my only collection is garnet, mainly because that''s what I have shown as a group. But my second largest collection is tourmaline, and my 3rd largest is sapphire.

If I were to place my tourmaline collection next to Bruce''s, many knowledgeable viewers would not guess that both collections are the same gem group. That is because his colors are so different from mine. He has a large number of unusual colors: yellow-green, tan, purple, lavender, violet, some brownish golden and brownish orange.

My collection is very strong in intense blues, intense iron and chrome greens, reds, goldens, one pure orange, and multiple bi-colors. Both collections are so different and yet still tourmaline.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2010 10:39:10 PM
Author: zeolite
Gailey, have the picture posting rules changed? I''ve seen two distinct separate pictures in one post. It would be very helpful for collections, to enter say, 30 pictures in one post.

On Bruce''s collection: I have to say for variety of color, it is the finest tourmaline collection I''ve ever seen. In past times, Brazil was very good for quantity and variety, but much less so now. Nigeria and Mozambique seem prolific now. I think the finest tourmalines on average today come from Afghanistan. And I would say that for variety of color, Mozambique produces more than the entire rest of the world put together.

What is fascinating about Bruce''s collection are the purples, lavenders, and violets. I do not have a single purple, lavender, and violet in my tourmaline collection, nor have I seen a single cut or rough one for sale in the last 25 years.

I think his secret is that he has access to unheated cuprian tourmaline rough from Mozambique. All the ones I see on the market have already been burned to blue or green.

PSers seem to think that my only collection is garnet, mainly because that''s what I have shown as a group. But my second largest collection is tourmaline, and my 3rd largest is sapphire.

If I were to place my tourmaline collection next to Bruce''s, many knowledgeable viewers would not guess that both collections are the same gem group. That is because his colors are so different from mine. He has a large number of unusual colors: yellow-green, tan, purple, lavender, violet, some brownish golden and brownish orange.

My collection is very strong in intense blues, intense iron and chrome greens, reds, goldens, one pure orange, and multiple bi-colors. Both collections are so different and yet still tourmaline.
Zeolite,
Gemlineinc.com has two violet/purple curpians for sale. I also have a violet 6 carat GIT memo''d one in my collection. They''re out there, but not frequently.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a collection and wide variety of colors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results