shape
carat
color
clarity

Browsing and came across this....real or lab?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
While opals from this area are some of the most beautiful opals found anywhere, they are most often NOT stable. They will "craze" in a very short time.

It would still be fun to go out to Neveda and dig some up.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Looks just like a virgin valley opal..the purist say the finest balck opal comes from there..a pure black where as lightning ridge and other places are an off black color..i don''t know enough about opals thats just what i have heard..

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
So it isnt lab? I LOVE the colors in it. Very cool!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked the vendor''s reputation?

RockHugger

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No cause I am not planning to buy it. Just something that cought my eye.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice, looks like some sort of a candy! I love opals!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful piece but probably will never be cabbed, shaped or worn due to the high risk of crazing. It’ll be awesome if stored properly to be admired from time to time though.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
That appears to be the real thing. As mentioned before, Virgin Valley opal is some of the finest in the world but it is EXTREMELY fragile and the bulk of it will crack and craze if not stored in water. Evey once in a while there are pieces the remain stable but they are few and far between. And, as you noticed, this material is quite pricey, particularly when dry and stable.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2010 8:17:59 PM
Author: Revolution
That appears to be the real thing. As mentioned before, Virgin Valley opal is some of the finest in the world but it is EXTREMELY fragile and the bulk of it will crack and craze if not stored in water. Evey once in a while there are pieces the remain stable but they are few and far between. And, as you noticed, this material is quite pricey, particularly when dry and stable.
Was thinking about this, and wondered whether opal that needs to be stored in water would be any good in an aquarium?

Kind of pricey for fish-tank gravel, but would be pretty!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results