shape
carat
color
clarity

BrillianceScope report after purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jerbop

Rough_Rock
As you may know, I currently have my diamond set in a simple, 4-prong, tiffany-style setting. Is it possible to take the ring to a jeweler (preferably in NYC) and have them unmount the stone and perform a GemEx BrillianceScope report on the diamond? I know SuperbCert has a machine - any others?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
whhhhyyyyy would you want to do that?

jerbop

Rough_Rock

I am concerned about the light performance of the diamond that I purchased. The numbers look great, but I can't tell if the stone is as fantastic as it should be (according to Pricescope standards). I figured that a BrillianceScope would provide more accurate feedback than the HCA.

When I saw the stone in the jeweler's office, I thought it looked very nice. Even when I saw it mounted, I thought it looked great; however, upon bringing the ring home, I have not been impressed with its performance, particularly with respect to fire. I just don't see that much of a rainbow effect (flashes of different colors of light). Could this be due to the lighting at home? I have looked at it in the dark, in diffuse lighting, and through the window when it was sunny. Overall, the stone just looks a bit bland. Can't describe it any other way.

Unfortunately, I purchased the stone nearly two months ago, but I was waiting to have it set until I could figure out my girlfriend's ring size. Now, it is almost definitely too late to return the stone. Am I stressing over nothing? Is this just because of the lighting in the house? I am not planning to propose for another month or two, so I am not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

I now somewhat regret my purchase, and I wish I had paid the premium for a branded stone for peace of mind. I don't want to list the name of the vendor, but he is an extremely well-regarded Pricescope vendor. He insisted that the stone had great scintillation and, due to the numbers (including a SARIN report listing it as a AGS-0 candidate), was just as good as all of the branded stones. He even implied that branded H&A stones are a bit of a farce - that most of a diamond's visual appearance is a result of it having the proper numbers.

Any thoughts to help ease my mind?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get an Idealscope (it can be used on mounted stones) or see one of the really thorough appraisers if you want even more peace of mind.

stermag

Shiny_Rock
Is it possible that the stone is dirty?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2006 5:18:21 PM
Author: dmdseeker

I am concerned about the light performance of the diamond that I purchased. The numbers look great, but I can''t tell if the stone is as fantastic as it should be (according to Pricescope standards). I figured that a BrillianceScope would provide more accurate feedback than the HCA.

don''t start second guessing yourself too much. beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder... what you see as fantastic, may not be what the guys that created the metric for bs see as fantastic. what they created to score well may not be at all what your eye likes. allowing a programmed machine to determine what is ''fantastic'' to you is not the best way to find the right diamond.

When I saw the stone in the jeweler''s office, I thought it looked very nice. Even when I saw it mounted, I thought it looked great; however, upon bringing the ring home, I have not been impressed with its performance, particularly with respect to fire. I just don''t see that much of a rainbow effect (flashes of different colors of light). Could this be due to the lighting at home? I have looked at it in the dark, in diffuse lighting, and through the window when it was sunny. Overall, the stone just looks a bit bland. Can''t describe it any other way.

this is very likely the lighting conditions. take it under some high multi-light source environment and see what happens. if you really want a show, go some place like home depot, wal-mart or costco. if your diamond doesn''t light up like a rainbow disco ball on batteries, then you can start second guessing.
2.gif

Unfortunately, I purchased the stone nearly two months ago, but I was waiting to have it set until I could figure out my girlfriend''s ring size. Now, it is almost definitely too late to return the stone. Am I stressing over nothing? Is this just because of the lighting in the house? I am not planning to propose for another month or two, so I am not sure what to do. Any thoughts?

i do think it is just the lighting. not every diamond is going to look it''s best under every lighting condition. take it to one of the places i mentioned above and fall in love again.

I now somewhat regret my purchase, and I wish I had paid the premium for a branded stone for peace of mind. I don''t want to list the name of the vendor, but he is an extremely well-regarded Pricescope vendor. He insisted that the stone had great scintillation and, due to the numbers (including a SARIN report listing it as a AGS-0 candidate), was just as good as all of the branded stones. He even implied that branded H&A stones are a bit of a farce - that most of a diamond''s visual appearance is a result of it having the proper numbers.

it''s common to have some buyers remorse. you may have felt the same way had you purchased a branded stone too. NOT because they are a farce however
38.gif

brands are about consistency. you can find wonderful diamonds that are unbranded, but they may not have gone through the developement that branded diamonds have to acquire ''signature'' looks that are reliable.
i''m not convinced you don''t already have a great performer. please take it out in other environs and have another look. i hope you will be pleasantly surprised!
2.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to what belle said, bring the diamond to some place that has spotlight type lighting...I love looking at my ring in my classes because they have overhead individual type lights and it makes my diamond very dark but I see the best fire there. (Yeah like I really need to be more distracted
31.gif
)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
We have had similar discussions before about this subject... sometimes after reading PS one could get the impression that these diamonds of ours glow in the dark!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
Well, believe me -- they don''t!
1.gif

Here''s what I would suggest. First of all, get it professionally cleaned and steamed. (A dirty diamond will NOT sparkle!)

Post some photos of it here... let us see it.

Observe it under various lighting situations. If you have enough nerve and can pull it off
2.gif
, take it to a jewelry store somewhere and compare it to other stones. I bet it will blow away most all "competitors"!

Go into a room with only one window. Stand with the window behind you and hold the diamond out in front of you. I''ll bet you see a gorgeous prism of color and sparkle. Now turn and do the same thing, only this time, facing the window. BIG difference, huh? Not near as pretty, is it?

Remember, a diamond can''t create its own light... it can only reflect the light around it. Some lighting situations will be much better than others. Most of us don''t love the way our diamonds look in direct sun... some don''t like the way theirs looks under office lighting... no diamond will perform like a disco ball in every lighting environment.

I bet you have a gorgeous stone. You may just have some understandable but somewhat unrealistic expectations of what an ideal cut stone can and can''t do -- and this is actually not uncommon.

Keep us posted!

jerbop

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much everyone. I feel much better after having read your comments. I realized that the lighting at home is mostly diffuse light, which may not show off the diamond as well. I will definitely take the ring to one of the locations mentioned. I mailed my GIA report back to GIA to have the re-issued report sent to me. Anybody know how long this typically takes?

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree with Lynn's comments.
When I finally got my H&A home I expected it to shoot laser beams or something.

If you want to "feel good" about your stone head to the mall. Mine goes berzerk in mall stores. Costco has good lighting as well.

Diffuse lighting won't result much-if any light play out of your stone. In these lighting conditions try to appreciate it's symmetry and other fine attributes!

Scintillating...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chances are your rock is fabulous. Belle and Lynn offered great guidance.

Another place that makes my stone simply sing, is under a shade tree with a sunny blue sky. There''s a particular StarBucks near my home and the outdoor seating is under an old old oak tree. I get more oohs and ahhs from total strangers sipping a cup of coffee on sunny days, under that shade tree. I must admit, my diamond is pretty darn alive in that lighting.

Again.......your mind is likely doing what all of us PS''ers minds tend to do. The more we know, the more we obsess. You may have seen my tongue in cheek DOCD post. If you haven''t here it is...........
You have Diamond Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (DOCD), an illness many of us suffer from on this forum. DOCD, discovered by Dr. Brillianteering in the early 1900''s, is a manifestation of mental anomolies when perfectly sane individuals become the owners of high quality diamonds. What typically occurs for an accurate DOCD diagnosis is euphoria upon the purchase of a nice gem, followed by self doubt, and ultimately downright concern that the purchased stone has somehow magically changed in appearance while the owner slept.

While there are no known medications available to combat DOCD, many people have reported the symptoms are reduced or completely eliminated by visiting chain jewelry stores, such as Zales or Kay, or having lunch with a friend who has a stone of poorer quality than the DOCD sufferer.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 4:54:11 PM
Author: Rod

You have Diamond Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (DOCD), an illness many of us suffer from on this forum. DOCD, discovered by Dr. Brillianteering in the early 1900''s, is a manifestation of mental anomolies when perfectly sane individuals become the owners of high quality diamonds. What typically occurs for an accurate DOCD diagnosis is euphoria upon the purchase of a nice gem, followed by self doubt, and ultimately downright concern that the purchased stone has somehow magically changed in appearance while the owner slept.

While there are no known medications available to combat DOCD, many people have reported the symptoms are reduced or completely eliminated by visiting chain jewelry stores, such as Zales or Kay, or having lunch with a friend who has a stone of poorer quality than the DOCD sufferer.

Rod - This is excellent. Would you mind if I used it (away from PS) in the future, with attribution?

Houseparty

Rough_Rock
Hi,
If you desire a quantitative measure of your diamond''s light performance with a Brilliancescope, I do not see anything wrong with that.

I was in the process of buying an ideal, but not super ideal branded, stone from another PS vendor. Although he was not the vendor, Barry (class act) at Superbcert in NYC ran a BrillianceScope for me. It scored VH1, VH3, VH2. I compensated Barry and Gemex for the report, and I had confidence in the stone that was 21% below Rap. If it did not perform very well, perhaps I would have been interested in buying a branded stone from Barry, he was building goodwill with me.

Since your diamond has excellent proportions, it will likley perform well. So if you buy the report and you can stop second guessing yourself. If it is not a very high performer on this measurement, you will know the truth, and then decide what that means to you. It could mean nothing. Better to work with facts, than wonder and assume.

In terms of the GIA certificate updgrade. It took about 10 calendar days round trip. My cert was Dec 2005, so it was just a paper exchange. They invoiced me $8.53 for ceretified mail, which I paid. I desire all of the additional data on the new cert. I just wish that GIA would not round and distort the data.

Sincerely,
David

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/22/2006 4:58:00 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 3/22/2006 4:54:11 PM
Author: Rod

Rod - This is excellent. Would you mind if I used it (away from PS) in the future, with attribution?
John......Please feel free to use this. I''m glad you enjoyed it.......
31.gif

jerbop

Rough_Rock
I had never seen the DOCD blurb before, but it is hilarious and very accurate. As I have looked at the stone numerous times with an idealscope, I know it returns a ton of light. I have read posts saying that an idealscope is just as valuable, if not more valuable, than a brilliancescope. I think I will quit my worrying. Also, good to hear that the whole GIA report exchange process only takes a couple of weeks. Thanks again everyone!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/22/2006 5:07:01 PM
...As I have looked at the stone numerous times with an idealscope, I know it returns a ton of light... I think I will quit my worrying...

I''m glad you feel better. I really believe that you have a KILLER stone, and NOTHING to worry about!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results