shape
carat
color
clarity

BrillianceScope and Painted Girdles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s tough to be a consumer.
I''m sure every seller would love your *undivided* attention.

But competition being what it is we flutter around like butterflies to many websites looking for that sweet nectar of information.
Some info is the same no matter who you ask.

But anyone who has been fluttering around for a while is bound to notice varitions in not just the type of diamonds sold but in the tools vendors select to represent their diamonds.

I think there is a PS vendor that does not use the BrillianceScope and another that does.
I suspect these two vendors also do not have the same opinion about painted girdles.

Is the BS is a tool that is not kind to painted girdles?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
both of the vendors you refer to carry stones with painted girdles as well as ones without. there aren''t huge visual differences between the two outside of the technical ''measurement'' realm. especially at the level in which these stones are crafted. there is a greater difference between deleterious painting and asthetic. at the aethetic level it won''t have a substantial effect on the bs results. the greater difference you will see with bs is in the differing pavilion mains and the resulting size of the lower girdle facets which concentrate light reflection thereby ''pegging'' the varying metrics on bs.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2006 5:05:43 PM
Author:kenny
It''s tough to be a consumer.
I''m sure every seller would love your *undivided* attention.

But competition being what it is we flutter around like butterflies to many websites looking for that sweet nectar of information.
Some info is the same no matter who you ask.

But anyone who has been fluttering around for a while is bound to notice varitions in not just the type of diamonds sold but in the tools vendors select to represent their diamonds.

I think there is a PS vendor that does not use the BrillianceScope and another that does.
I suspect these two vendors also do not have the same opinion about painted girdles.

Is the BS is a tool that is not kind to painted girdles?
yep....i don''t recall seeing a painted girdle stone with VH,VH,VH BS score.
20.gif
the BS is more in favorite of stones with a 79-80% LGF. me think
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This could be a long topic I will try and keep it simple:

Good kind Painted girdles lose some contrast compared to non-painted girdles.
ie you get edge to edge red in the IS images, instead of some contrast leakage.

In the case where the cutter wants a balanced look they then shorten the LGF% to make the arrows bigger to get the contrast back.

8* goes even shorter on the LGF% to get the all fire look.

Painted girdles work better with slightly shorter LGF% than traditional girdles is the bottom line.

B-scope tends to score diamonds with longer lgf% higher in white light and diamonds with traditional girdles higher in scintillation.
Total light return can be the same but its returned differently

There is a difference in the type of scintillation given off by painted girdles the b-scope picks up this difference and gives them lower scores.

Notice I didn''t say better or worse I said different, some people will like one over the other and some wont see the difference and the lighting makes a huge difference.

note: that is extremely simplified and there are some diamonds where its more true than others. There will also be diamonds that defy it and score other than stated but if you take 100 of each and average them then its right to the best of my knowledge.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2006 8:37:35 PM
Author: strmrdr
This could be a long topic I will try and keep it simple:

Good kind Painted girdles lose some contrast compared to non-painted girdles.
ie you get edge to edge red in the IS images, instead of some contrast leakage.

In the case where the cutter wants a balanced look they then shorten the LGF% to make the arrows bigger to get the contrast back.

8* goes even shorter on the LGF% to get the all fire look.

Painted girdles work better with slightly shorter LGF% than traditional girdles is the bottom line.

B-scope tends to score diamonds with longer lgf% higher in white light and diamonds with traditional girdles higher in scintillation.
Total light return can be the same but its returned differently

There is a difference in the type of scintillation given off by painted girdles the b-scope picks up this difference and gives them lower scores.

Notice I didn't say better or worse I said different, some people will like one over the other and some wont see the difference and the lighting makes a huge difference.

note: that is extremely simplified and there are some diamonds where its more true than others. There will also be diamonds that defy it and score other than stated but if you take 100 of each and average them then its right to the best of my knowledge.
This is a pretty solid Cliff's Notes on BS. Treat the above as general rules, keep the highlighted bit in mind and everyone should get an A on the test.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results