shape
carat
color
clarity

Breitling vs. Tag Heuer Watches

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does anyone own a Breitling or Tag Heuer watch? My BF has been drooling over Tags for the last three years, and we were just introduced to Breitling watches by our jeweler, who is an authorized dealer of Breitlings. From what I can tell, and the little I''ve read about them, Breitlings are much nicer than Tags, and much less common--everyone seems to own a Tag, yet I don''t see a lot of Breitlings running around. (Very cute mental image just popped up of watches with tiny legs running around the streets of Chicago, anyway . . . )

I''m planning on buying a watch for my BF as a wedding gift--the e-ring is being made as we speak, and we''ll be getting married some time next summer. I know which watches he likes of both the Breitling and Tag lines, and now I just have to decide which is a better brand to go with. I plan on spending around $4,000 on the watch.

Any Breitling/Tag owners have insight to share? Do you love your Breitling or Tag? Any complaints about either? Have you owned both and you prefer one?

Thanks for your help!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tags are nice, not as ritzy as the Breitlings, but more basic. I would opt for Breitling just from what I know, but not sure if the dealer is pushing it since he is a dealer, maybe he makes more on them? But from what I do know, and I love watches, Tag is a bit more ordinary and the Breitling a bit more unusual...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
35.gif
DH and I both have Tags, they are our first "better" watches as a move up from Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, etc. We''ve been pretty pleased with them. We both have the Link style, mine has diamond markers and a mother of pearl face, though. I think they''re great everyday watches, we both wear ours all the time except on weekends. I really don''t know very much about Breitling, sorry I can''t compare for you or help you out much with that brand. There''s another poster on PS, I think it''s Jewels, who has like 7 Tags, and LisaC has one or more as well, I believe. Hopefully they will chime in here!

I do have to say, though, that if your budget is $4,000 I would look at Breitling instead of Tag!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven, do some research online, there is a lot of trivia and info out there on both brands. i was just browsing around and saw that Tag is the watch that makes the ticking noise at the beginning of the show 60 Minutes, how cool is that? And it looks like Breitling is geared toward aviation, with lots of exciting gadgets. Fun reading, anyway.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
My bf and I both have TAGs and like other people have said, they''re nice every day watches. They''re durable, good quality, but also attractive and fashionable. I have a silver-faced aquaracer and I like that I can dress it up or down. I don''t know much about Breitlings other than that they''re a good brand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no idea about Breitlings but hubby and I love our Tag watches. Nice on the eyes, keeps great time and goes with everything I wear and on all occasions, be it work, play, casual or dressy. I''ve had mine for nearly 10 years now and it still looks brand new despite everyday wear.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, have a Tag (Aquaracer with MOP face) and LOVE it. That said, with a generous budget, I would highly recommend you continue looking at Breitlings. As you already mentioned, it is much less common and truly are stunning timepieces. I have a co-worker who indulged himself after a bonus and bought a Breitling. It''s gorgeous... Plus there are many different styles--there are some that have a similar look to Tags if that is what your BF likes.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i own a breitling. have had it a year in may. no problems. i am very happy with it and can recommend buying one. if you do a search you will find something on breitling as i have responded before. hth.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all of your feedback! It looks like everyone loves their Tags, and Breitlings are nice, too, so I can''t really go wrong.

Our jeweler doesn''t even carry Tags, but I''m not opposed to buying a watch elsewhere. In fact, Breitlings are the least expensive watches they carry, I''m not sure why, but they generally deal in very pricey jewelery. Last time we were there he showed us a $420,000 custom MEN''S ring that they had just finished! It was so intricate, and it had an enormous RB diamond, just gorgeous. Anyway . . .

I did do a little digging on the Internet and have found a ton of information, but of course, personal anecdotes are always so much more valuable, so thanks again!

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely LOVE my Breitling Starliner watch! It''s exceptional at keeping time and just gorgeous! The diamonds are E-F VVS quality! You won''t go wrong with a Breitling!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Rock Candy, I really appreciate your feedback! Those Breitlings are STUNNING!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i just want to add i think he would be pleased with a breitling and most jewelers will negotiate a discount so i would ask. jmho. hth.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Haven,

Both brands have really great looking watches. I just bought an Aquarace a few mths back & my husbands had his Link since we got engaged in 2003, so far has had no problems with it. He has the quartz version & uses it has his everyday watch so he wears it a lot. Also, big also, **most** Breitlings come with a high polish finish. I dont know why other than to make them blingier and/or more unique. The high polish will showcase scratches easier than a brushed finish. And if worn as an everyday workhorse kind of watch, might not be a great idea. I know they do have a couple that come brushed already or else you might have to ask the jeweler you deal with if he/she can send the watch out aftermarket to someone they know to brush it. Breitling wont do it & it will cost somewhere around $100 to do. Would think it would void the warrenty for the bracelet but probably not for the watch component itself. Most men dont like a watch thats all high polish. Maybe a high polish center with brushed, but not polished. If he likes it, you have a lot more to choose from. LOL I''m looking at the Colt quartz II, blue dial for my husband for Christmas. He''s not into the fancy schmancy automatic watches & much prefers the less fussy quartz. Lucky for me, it''s cheaper that way. LOL He gets them checked regularly so hopefully with regular maintenance there wont be any surprises with a leaking battery. The battery for the Breitling quartz, if I''ve read right, lasts a long time, 7-8 yrs long. Oh, just to add, you''re jeweler should be more generous with pricing since you have a relationship with them, but in case they dont discount, then you can go on the Breitling website, gather some email addresses & send out an inquiry as to what watch you want & what their price would be. Most of the ones I contacted would discount 20% right off the bat. In fact, all AD''s have room to move so dont forget to ask.
2.gif
If out of state, they will ship & shipping charges will be about $35. Can you tell I''ve already been looking into this?
41.gif
31.gif

Another one you may not have thought about is the Omega Seamaster. Check out timezone.com for watch info. A lot of men have this watch & love it. I bought the 300, black dial/black bezel one for my husband last Christmas. My brother saw it & he''s getting one too. LOL It really is a great watch. People ask if my husband is a diver, & I laugh & say no, he actually needs water wings to swim in. LOL But the watch is nice looking & has great lume. When I went to pick up my Aquaracer, my husband zero''d in on the ladies Seamaster & thought the watch was "too darn cute" so he said I should have it & we should have matching watches. LOL So I got it. LOL The watch was old stock & came with a different bracelet than his but I liked it better than the one my husband had. Besides, I also have an Aqua-terra with a very plain bracelet. Sorry to go on & on, but I like watches just as much as jewelery.
17.gif

Tuff decision, but a nice one to make.
36.gif

Judy
:)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results