shape
carat
color
clarity

Breeder or animal shelter? What did you choose?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 10:25:56 AM
Author: Apsara

Date: 11/27/2008 8:43:42 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Date: 11/26/2008 10:26:23 PM

Date: 11/26/2008 9:30:40 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady

Date: 11/25/2008 10:12:04 PM
This is a sensitive topic but I feel strongly that this is a situation where 'if you're not part of the solution, thenyou're part of the problem.'

The suffering of unwanted pets is a true crisis in our country and the world. i recommend you do everything in your power to find a suitable companion via shelter or rescue. the fact you are so conlicted is a very clear sign of what is going on inside of you--you know deep down going to a breeder isn't helping things and means one less deserving animal will be saved. Are you looking for someone to tell you 'it's ok'...? Well, some poeple might but the truth is that anyone with the capacity to love and care for an animal--such as you--should go rescue/adoption route.

I work in animal rescue and it's a struggle every day not to become chronically depressed and feel almost like the world isn't worth living in--sounds dramatic, I know, but the abuse and suffering I witness is almost too much. All dogs want is human love and acceptance--when they are deprived of this, it's almost too much to bear to witness their suffering. I encourage you to search your heart and offer your love to a shelter or rescue dog.

The ASPCA says 'Don't breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die.' I think that sums it up pretty well.
As a person who currently works in rescue and has volunteered in multiple shelters, I would recommend that you take a break. Honestly. Being clinically depressed is obviously unhealth for you, but it has a negative effect on other volunteers and even the animals.

I personally believe that irresponsible breeders and irresponsible owners are the problem and that breeders who dedicate their lives to improving the breed and placing them in responsible homes (i.e. homes where owners don't believe dogs are companions and that's IT) is the best solution.
You don't know me. And if you read my words carefully, you'll see that I wrote it's a struggle not to become very depressed/upset. I can assure you that i don't have psycological issues. And your Ph.D. is from where?

That aside, I agree the core issue is the irresponsibility of HUMANS... if we could remedy that, there'd be no shelters and this whole thread would be a moot point.

EAT: A lot of people looking for breeder dogs want absolution--they know deep inside it's an issue when so many great dogs are homeless but they want soemone to say, 'awwww--it's ok beacuse you (pick one) volunterr, send money, will adopt in the future...' And the truth is, it's exactly like the ASPCA says: Don't breed or buy while homeless pets continue to die.' So you can make exucses and be all offended but your issue isn't with me, it's with reality.

The only redeeming detail here is at least people are starting to wake up to pet stores and puppy mills. I guess a 'reputable breeder' is better than THAT.

Let's back the crazy train up for a second--nobody is saying you have psychological issues. What I did state was that if you are feeling depressed (you said you were battling chronic depression--that doesn't sound good!), you should take a break for your own well-being. It's not a BAD thing, so there is no need to get upset about it. I completely understand how draining it can be, taking a break if you are overwhelmed is perfectly healthy.

I'm not going to dive into the breeder issue anymore as there is no point--you've made it up in your own head that the best breeders are equivalent to backyard breeders and puppy mills. Pointing out the obvious flaws in that logic would be a waste of time and while I'm not insulted by your 'If you buy from a breeder you are a terrible person who doesn't caaaaare and isn't listening to your heeeart' rhetoric, I just hope nobody else is offended by it, either.

Again, I think it is wonderful that you volunteer (again, so long as it's healthy for you). I have met many, MANY wonderful volunteers over the past 5 years or so. Volunteers who are so great that they make me feel an inch tall. That being said, none of them hold a candle to my breeders. Their dedication to the breed is nothing short of inhuman.

Stay passionate, but don't be afraid of knowledge! The more informed you are, the better volunteer you can be!
Nice name calling. Real nice. 'McSensitive pants'. What the heck is that? I never once made comments about anyone's mental state, personal character, anythng--yet I am getting a psychoanalysis not to mention judgements on my level of sensitivity and such. Wow.

Where are the moderators? I know I am not one of the regulars but surely the rules must apply to all. What happend to 'no personal attacks?'

AGAIN, I NEVER wrote I was depressed-- made the point that it can be hard not to become depressed/upset when you see all the tragedy. Why you continue to pontifiate about my 'depression' is baffling. I also NEVER wrote that breeders are akin to puppy mills. Yes, I do believe that adoption is by far the best route of all but I'd much rather a repsonsible breeder (although by their own admissions, many posters here seem to have had issues with those as well).

*sigh* I do give up. You win. All I try to do is point out the tragedy of unwanted pets in this country. When I see someone ask about where to get her pet, etc., I feel compelled to weigh in and hopefully, get the person to really think about his/her options. It's a hard and ugly truth that otherwise good people like to wash away with platitudes and excuses but the fact is that gorgeous animals die by the hundreds, cruelyl and painfully alone, every day. Why not really think about svaing one if your heart is open to an animal? Yes, part of my personal mission is to spread the word and make the hard statements. If one dog is saved because I got someone to think about things in a new way, then it's all worth it, even this stupid nonsense.
It's not name-calling if it's true
2.gif
. Nobody is psycho-analyzing you. I've stated twice that you should take a break if it depresses you, which is not an attack. This is obviously a sensitive subject for you, but that only means you feel strongly about it.

Again, I think it's fantastic that you are passionate, but I think your blinders haven't allowed you to see that adoption is not the only (or even the most responsible) route and since this topic was created to weigh both sides, it's important to highlight that. I think adoption is the perfect solution for 90% the population, just not everybody.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve always done rescues (Doberman Rescue of North Texas) when I had my Dobies, but Takumi showed up on my doorstep about the same time I was contemplating going to the SPCA for a new kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results