shape
carat
color
clarity

Breed Advice - American Bulldog/Boxer Puppy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

all.of.the.above

Rough_Rock
I''m so so sorry about your loss.

We have a Pit Bull/Boxer (BullBoxer) (50/50) mix rescued from a local humane society and I will NEVER ever own another mix of dogs. I know she''s not exactly the breeds you''re looking at, but she is nothing short of perfect! Shes only about 50lbs and all muscle. She brilliant and VERY easily trainable. She acts as a great guard dog, but would never ever hurt a fly. She adores children and dogs alike. We adopted her when she was 8 months old. A random passerby had found her in a bag in a dumpster; which she apparently was able to somewhat free herself of - the bay was only tied around her neck. Nice, right?

The only warnings I have about the breeds are be prepared for high energy, a possible high prey drive (squirrels, chipmunks, etc), and LOTS of love.

Those pups are AMAZINGLY adorable and our dog looks almost exactly like the brindle pup in one of the pics. Good luck with finding your perfect pup!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi Erica,
35.gif

I am sorry to hear of your doggy''s sudden passing..

but on the other hand - These Puppies!! You are about to own
my dream pup, seriously - fi and I happen to adore the same breeds.

Unfortunately, they are currently trying to pass laws where I live
to ban pitbulls and American pitbulls from being bred/sold due to safety concerns,
which we think is a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction
38.gif

From my research, unless they are specifically bred for fighting,
they are a great temperament of breed, esp. when mixed with the boxer.

I''m sorry I don''t have anything more technical to add, except that I adore
the tan ones. I''m so envious of your new potential new fur baby!!
30.gif

Please more photos once you decide!!!
36.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks AJ!

Actually, the mama is an American Bulldog, not a Pitbull Terrier (similar in appearance but different breed), though I think it''s a shame that any breed would be banned. Pits can be wonderful (like Shephards, another breed that is documented to be responsible for a large proportion of dog bites) family members and banning any breed will result in more destroyed animals because those who want pitbulls for the wrong reasons will still continue breeding them. And what about mixed breeds?

Will pit mixes also be banned? I think that''s going in the wrong direction - there just must be a better way. For example, regulated breeding practices and mandatory spay/neuter for ALL adopted dogs as part of licensing requirements with fines for violations - something like that. For example, the humane society (which I love and support!) will sometimes adopt out unaltered dogs. They then give you a $50 refund when you fix the animal and bring them proof. Ummmm, well if you ask me, that''s not as effective as mandatory spay/neuter and temperament testing of all dogs before they are released for adoption - just build the cost of that into the adoption fee.

Ok, end of rant :)

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We picked one! Not the all white - she was too CRAZY, lol. We chose a beautiful tan (classic boxer colorings) girl named "Lilly" - she has white feet and a white tip on the end of her tail, like a paintbrush. She was the first puppy to come up to DD and climb on her and give her a kiss. When we first got there, all the puppies were running around the yard loose and she nabbed a piece of rawhide and took off running. She had about 6 other puppies on her tail and she out ran all of them, zigging and zagging through the yard! She was super friendly, outgoing, playful. DH and I were both instantly drawn to her.

There was another one that is such a sweet and gentle angel. She has cow-like markings, lol, the white one with the black on one eye in the pics? She had a few black spots on her body too, pink and black muzzle. She was very playful too, but far more cautious, preferred to observe from a distance, is described by her people as a real sweet cuddle-bug. We very nearly chose her and though we picked Lilly, we were on the fence all the way home. But in the end we really want an outgoing dog and think Buddy needs an alpha-dog - he's definitely a follower. He also loves to wrestle and Lilly will be the type to climb all over him. "Heffy" (the people call her that cuz she looks like a cow) is definitely more mellow, though, which for a puppy is a good thing!

But that white one - LORDY, she had energy. She ran 100 mph the entire 30 minutes we were there. The owners describe her as "spunky" followed by a glance and snicker. Translation? WILD WOMAN! She was thin too - her ribs showing, while the others were more portly. I think she just burns 2x the calories of the other pups! And she didn't even acknowledge us at all, never came over so we knew she wasn't the one. Lilly definitely chose us.

I couldn't get any pics - once we got there I felt weird asking. I go back to pick Lilly up on Wednesday, though, to bring her home. YAY!

This is her, though (the tan one playing with the brindle)

Brindle0002.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Awesome, I''m so glad you picked the tan one, she sounds like a bundle of fun!
I love your descriptions of the different lil ones'' personalities.
9.gif

Yeah, I agree with you completely that there must be alternatives to
the ban and find it really disappointing.

I''m not sure about the mixed thing, though I was wondering too. If I can find
out more/hear more I''ll let you know.

Congrats, please lots of pics when you bring her home!
36.gif
36.gif

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I''m a HUGE pitbull fan and am not impressed with the initiatives pushed through the legislation of Western Australia. There are not even to be any mixes allowed. No dogs can be imported, bred, etc -- if you have one that''s already alive, obviously they''re not going to force you to have them put down. However, they''re attempting to completely irradicate the breed in WA in the future. There is something like a $500 fine for owning an unsterilized pitbull (pure or mixed). There are other breeds this rule applies to as well, not sure which ones but they''re all traditional fighting dogs -- a Japanese one, a South African one, a Brazilian one, etc. Besides mandatory sterilization, they are also NEVER allowed off leads when outside, fences must be of a certain standard (to keep children from accidentally wandering in, supposedly), and you have to have signs posted at your property to warn passerbys of your "dangerous breed" dog. I think it''s beyond ridiculous.

My boyfriend and I volunteer for an animal rescue organization and apparently when pitties come into the pounds, they refer to them as "lab crosses" with raised eyebrows, so they don''t have to put them all down for being unplaceable.
7.gif

Anyway, just a bit more info about the pittie situation in WA. If you''re on the fence about the breed (or believe the hype), www.realpitbull.com is a great resource.

Erica - your little girl looks absolutely gorgeous. I love the coloring and she sounds like a real gem! I hope you guys have a ball with her.
9.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That makes me so sad
7.gif

I have seen many of those "lab mixes" too, and don''t blame rescue groups for doing it. They do this with other breeds as well. Our dog Buddy was adopted to us (Humane Society) as a Beagle/Rottie mix however after doing lots of breed research last weekend I''m certain he''s actually a Doberman/Rottie mix. There''s no Beagle in there! People are scared of Rotties and Dobermans so they probably thought labeling him a Dobeweiler or Rotterman (these labels just crack me up) would have been the kiss of death for him.

But know what? I never met a sweeter dog, wonderful with our 4 year old, wonderful with other animals, loyal, snuggly, a big kisser. We adore him and would have still adopted him even if we knew he was a Doberman mix - but many would not.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lilly is here! I brought her home last night and she''s wonderful! She''s calm, intelligent, sweet, gentle, playful and our dog Buddy was in love from the moment he first laid eyes on her. They have played several times and he lays next to the crate when she''s sleeping :)

Pics!

Lilly Posing.jpg

lala2332

Brilliant_Rock
too sweet! glad that you found such a wonderful addition to your family!!

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your new addition! She''s adorable. Our bully mix is named Lily as well.
9.gif
A sweet name for a sweet dog.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Ericad she''s so beautiful! Congrats and please more pics
30.gif

Justginger i didnt know they were doing that now with pitbulls now, that''s really awful
7.gif
I think they''re gorgeous dogs too. I''ve been walking a couple of rotties for a shelter and they''re the sweetest boys (BTW,
30.gif
Rotterman!!!).

But yay for your lily
30.gif
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results