shape
carat
color
clarity

Breakfast at Tiffany''s

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, so my FI and I watched this last night. While we both thought it was good, we didn''t get why it''s gotten so much acclaim over the years. Yes, Audrey Hepburn''s "Holly Golightly" is charming to a degree I suppose. A little flakey and quirky perhaps, but somewhat endearing. I liked the movie but I didn''t LOVE it. Am I missing something? To those of you who have seen it, what did you think?

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I love it, but I definitely don''t think it''s for everyone. I can''t really put in to words what I love about it, though, so I''m no help.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I liked it, it is better than a lot of crap out there. Clean fun and if you want to see Singing in the Rain, which is an Academy Award Winner in the top 10 of all time movies that one is even more silly then BAT!!!!

A wonderful movie that I saw for the first time recently was Gone With the Wind! Have you seen that one Zoe? I also really love Roman Holiday!!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love Breakfast at Tiffany''s! I''ve been watching it since I was a little girl, though, along with all of Audrey Hepburn''s movies, so perhaps I''m biased.

Capote''s book is excellent, though. Even if you didn''t love the movie, I would definitely recommend the book.

My other favorite Hepburn movies: Charade and Roman Holiday, oh and Sabrina is great, too!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
eh, wasn''t my thing either. Don''t feel bad!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually, no, Skippy, I haven''t seen Gone with the Wid. I''m not sure my attention span will last for the whole thing, as I hear it''s a looooong movie. It is on my list of movies that I should see someday. Also on my list are:

Schindler''s List (I''ve never been up for it though....sooooo depressing)
Funny Face
the original Father of the Bride

My mind just blanked on others but I''m open to suggestions. Maybe I should have changed the title of this thread to "Movies you haven''t seen but feel you should someday."
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 10:15:18 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Actually, no, Skippy, I haven't seen Gone with the Wid. I'm not sure my attention span will last for the whole thing, as I hear it's a looooong movie. It is on my list of movies that I should see someday. Also on my list are:

My mind just blanked on others but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe I should have changed the title of this thread to 'Movies you haven't seen but feel you should someday.'
1.gif
My attention span is short too. Hubby loves Lawrence of Arabia and hated every second of it because it was 4 hours
14.gif
I thought it was a guys movie and told him I never want to watch it again.

No Gone with the Wind is amazing; I thought I wouldn't be able to stand it but I cried right from the start and love it! DiamondFan recommended it so I fianlly watched it after all these years; it turns out I saw the last 30 mins of it as a kid because I always wanted to be named Bonnie and have a pony.

You should start another thread; that would be fun and interesting what others would come up with for there list and sorry for the hijack
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Fair Lady is more of a favorite, and Singing in the Rain is wonderful too. Auntie Mame is a favorite of mine. I think there are some amazing old movies to be seen.
B at T's was one I saw so long ago, hard to recall it all, but wasn't she a bit loose for that time?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen it twice. Once in college and once last year when it was on A&E. honestly, I didn''t really like it either time. I much prefer movie''s like Singing In The Rain, Sound of Music or Doris Day movies like Pillow talk...

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Not my cup of tea at all.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve watched it a couple of times...my favorite thing about it is Holly''s style, I love her costumes and hairstyles. It ticks me off the way she treats the cat, though, and never called him anything but CAT. I don''t have any profound remarks to make about the movie, I liked it for purely superficial reasons!
9.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

There is not much substance to the movie, except for the luxury of its name sake. I think if you boil it down, Holly was a sort of a scamming scheming money grubbing and close to a call girl...character. Who in the end, realizes that stuff is just stuff and love can come at any level of wealth. So I think there is a moral or method to the nuttiness
2.gif

I love CAT and of course just seeing Audrey is a thrill for the eyes. She was such a classic doe eyed beauty. Style and grace exudes every ounce of her. And gee whiz, what a life to stay out all night and eat at sunrise at Tiffany''s.

She has given so many wonderful performances...don''t judge her by that movie. As Haven suggested...Charade, Sabrina, and Roman Holiday are fabulous. I am an old movie nutt and the aforementioned are part of my 10 favorite movies. Of course I have a list of 50...Cary Grant is in Charade...and Gregory Peck in Roman Holiday...and Bogey and Billy Holden are in Sabrina and that list of characters you can''t go wrong...no way no how. How to steal a Million is a classic wonderful Hepburn...and Two for the Road isn''t bad either. You have a ton of Hepburn to watch...and when you do, re-watch Breakfast
2.gif
...you will have a far greater appreciation for the unexplainable passion for her and her role in that movie.

It has been reported that she and her mother escaped Belgium or the next haven they found the night before the Nazis came and arrested everyone. I can''t believe someone that saw so much horror would turn out to be such a icon of style and grace. They said that her thin body was due to the malnutrition she suffered during the occupation. And another thing...someone very famous...I can''t remember who...thought her doe eyes were so much like a Doe (deer) that he presented her with one. A real life fawn. It lived with her and her husband inside just like a dog. She was known to take it with her on a leash...everywhere. There is a photo of her in a grocery store and the doe is right there. She sent Christmas cards that had the three of them on a sofa. Cool. I have a copy of one...somewhere.

There used to be a great poster here on PS...MOVIE ZOMBIE. I haven''t seen her lately. I bet she could add a lot more to my post. I hope I have intrigued your interest and you will check out the list I gave you. They are all treasures. Try Sabrina next...and for goodness sakes...not the new one!!!

DKS

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear Monnie...your and my posts crossed
6.gif
. I agree about the treament of CAT...but in the end...with tears running down my checks I felt she was redeemed!!
face16.gif

DKS

snlee

Ideal_Rock
After watching Breakfast at Tiffany''s recently, I didn''t understand why it''s gotten so much acclaim over the years too. I thought it was just ok.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is not my favorite Audrey movie. I love Sabrina and Roman Holiday MUCH more.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/12/2007 11:45:15 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
6.gif
. I agree about the treament of CAT...but in the end...with tears running down my checks I felt she was redeemed!!
face16.gif

DKS
LOL, I agree Holly did redeem herself in the end with that poor bedraggled wreck of a CAT! I cry when I watch that part as well!!! And of course when she finds out about her poor brother and goes bonkers.

What is the name of the movie Audrey was in where she played a typist/editor for an author? I think she brought a bird in a cage along with her when she first came to stay with him to help him write his book/play/whatever it was. I''ve only caught bits and pieces when it''s been on the Retro channel a couple times, but I liked what I saw of it.

Whole other note: I just read that Nancy Grace walked down the aisle to "Moon River" at her wedding recently, I thought that was a great song choice to walk down the aisle to!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is Funny Farm about?

That reminds me that I loved Funny Girl and Funny Lady...both were great.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/13/2007 12:48:29 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 8/12/2007 11:45:15 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
6.gif
face16.gif

DKS
LOL, I agree Holly did redeem herself in the end with that poor bedraggled wreck of a CAT! I cry when I watch that part as well!!! And of course when she finds out about her poor brother and goes bonkers.

iWhat s the name of the movie Audrey was in where she played a typist/editor for an author? I think she brought a bird in a cage along with her when she first came to stay with him to help him write his book/play/whatever it was. I''ve only caught bits and pieces when it''s been on the Retro channel a couple times, but I liked what I saw of it.

Whole other note: I just read that Nancy Grace walked down the aisle to ''Moon River'' at her wedding recently, I thought that was a great song choice to walk down the aisle to!
I''m replying to myself here...I just looked up her movie career and the movie I was referring to is Paris, When it Sizzles.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Love in the Afternoon with Gary Cooper...I recommend a pass. I mean... I wouldn''t pass on Gary Cooper anytime of day...but I would pass on the movie.

DKS

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sunset Blvd is one of my favorites! I love Psycho and the Birds; these movies still scare me.
I love Casablanca, Vertigo, Rearwindow, Little Women (the old version), and Citizen Kane

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Dh actually bought the DVD for me last year as part of my birthday hamper
1.gif
I think it has its charm, but a lot of the attitudes are dated. I''m sure Holly Golightly was seen as a very modern woman in her time, but to the real modern woman of today, she does come across as a money-grubber.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Yes I love it. I love her charade see puts on and how she is really just a helpless little child.

As far as Audrey movies though, my fav is Sabrina.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need to update my Netflix queue and I think I''ll add a bunch of Audrey Hepburn movies. I''ve heard Roman Holiday is fantastic. I also want to see the original Sabrina. I saw the remake years ago when it first came out.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I love Audrey Hepburn, and the images from BAT are stunning, but I''m not a fan of the movie. I think she has so many other amazing movies (Roman Holiday, American in Paris, Funny Face.. the list goes on.)

Singing in the Rain is one of my all time favorites. I think it''s amazing that Gene Kelly and Donald O''Connell could do those dance scenes in such few takes. It''s very interesting to watch the movie and realize that during the dance scenes, the camera rarely cuts away.

And Gone With the Wind? Don''t get me started! It''s so wonderfully amazing I just don''t know how to describe it. Although, the book is better, the only reason the movie doesn''t measure up is because they had to cut some of my favorite scenes and combine some characters for times sake. Vivien Leigh was the PERFECT Scarlett. It''s definitely worth your trouble to watch it!

Last but least, my other favorite old movie is Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Who doesn''t love to watch Marilyn Monroe sing "Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend" in that pink dress... Her clothes, hair, songs in that movie are just so wonderful, not to mention all of the diamonds!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2007 10:15:18 PM
Author: zoebartlett
Actually, no, Skippy, I haven''t seen Gone with the Wid. I''m not sure my attention span will last for the whole thing, as I hear it''s a looooong movie. It is on my list of movies that I should see someday. Also on my list are:

Schindler''s List (I''ve never been up for it though....sooooo depressing)
Funny Face
the original Father of the Bride

My mind just blanked on others but I''m open to suggestions. Maybe I should have changed the title of this thread to ''Movies you haven''t seen but feel you should someday.''
1.gif
yikes2.gif

Now there''s a great movie. You MUST watch it!
11.gif

And I never got all the hoopla over B at T either.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah...hated it!!! Can't figure out what the hoopla is about either.
20.gif
Except for staring into the windows at Tiffany's. That I get.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results