shape
carat
color
clarity

Bowls and the "Oven safe" label

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I've been looking for pretty noodle bowls. Giant sizes ones since we Viets eat massive bowls of noodles but most Western noodle bowls are very small in comparison.

I finally found some that are big enough and quite pretty.

Ok so the tag that was attached to the bowl says it's oven safe, but that's not printed in the bowl.

Do you think it's oven safe from experience?

Asking because I've got lots of things that I reheat in the airfryer and if I can you these as oven dishes it would be really handy.

IMG_20200827_140859.jpg

IMG_20200827_140908.jpg

Also this one says oven to table. Does this mean I can put it on the oven? Just to warm or fully bake?

IMG_20200827_140925.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
phew
from your thread title i thought something rather dramatic had happened in your kitchen

we had this ugly family dinnerset (unwanted wedding present from the aunties to Gary's brother) passed onto us
as ugly as it was it had really good bowls
like we were actually sad - as ugly as they were (i cannot emphasize the ugliness enough) to break them camping
anyway we always thought they had a silver edge so never put them in the mircrowave
now we only have 2 left and one is chipped i absentmindably put it in the microwave ........

and it was fine

i think your just going to have to risk it
and blame me if im wrong ;)2

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would say yes to the Portmeirion and no to the Royal Doulton. The website for Portmeirion specifically says Botanic Garden is oven safe. The Royal Doulton 1815 does not say oven safe on its website for the 1815 pattern. Portmeirion has been around for years and is well known and durable. They have many pieces listed specifically as bakeware. I would be more wary of Royal Doulton as quality has dropped off over the years. Maybe send Royal Doulton an email and enquire since the hang tag is different than what is shown on the bowl and on the website.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s what I know about oven safe: never preheat the oven first and then insert bowls or cookware. It can crack. Instead, out the cookware or bowls in cold and then turn on the oven so both heat up equally.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here’s what I know about oven safe: never preheat the oven first and then insert bowls or cookware. It can crack. Instead, out the cookware or bowls in cold and then turn on the oven so both heat up equally.

and don't leave oven to tablewear sitting on the cook top and turn the element on my mistake
they go crack and you just about s**t your pants !

btw @mellowyellogirl i didn't have my glasses on and didn't realise this was exspensive dinner wear
proceed with caution

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The one that says oven to table should be fine to go in the oven to cook. That term is a marketing thing attached to cooking bowls that are designed as ‘pretty’ enough to be used immediately as serving dishes too, no decanting needed after cooking.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of my le creuset said “freezer to oven” and one of those pieces cracked cleanly in half. I just don’t trust any of those labels now. Perfectly good square baking dish ruined, along with 2 beautiful pieces of mahi.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys!

Much appreciated! Sounds like the Portmeirion is definitely safe but whether I want to risk it is another story! I love it! Pho is a flowery bowl! It is a treat after eating from $5 giant bowls from the asian grocery store for years! Hehe I had to buy a salad bowl for it to be big enough!

@monarch64 I have a frozen unbaked lasagne in pyrex that I promised to feed my bestie on her birthday. I am FREAKING out at the prospect of it cracking in the oven at her house!

I think I will thaw it in the fridge overnight and maybe let it sit for an hour at her house before I bake it!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Some of my le creuset said “freezer to oven” and one of those pieces cracked cleanly in half. I just don’t trust any of those labels now. Perfectly good square baking dish ruined, along with 2 beautiful pieces of mahi.

My brother in law just had a Le Creuset crack in half and the contents burnt his hand quite badly. I’ve also had a Pyrex dish that was designed for the oven explode.

I have Royal Doulton, but I haven’t risked putting it in the level beyond the “warm” setting.

I wouldn’t risk it with either bowl, but I could just be a bit traumatized.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of the two dishes in the original post, I would hesitate to use the Royal Doulton bowl in an oven as it does not say so on the piece itself.

Although the Portmeirion in theory is fine in the oven, I too would hesitate to use it in the oven as it is a lot of money to waste if it cracks!

I use cheapo Pyrex or similar borosilicate glass that can be used in the oven, freezer and microwave.

I was so pleased to find small shallow glass dish with lids in a shop while I was in HK, I bought 3 right away, without realising they are not suitable for use in the oven. They can only be used in the microwave without the lid, as I discovered once I was back in UK and read the small prints properly. :roll2:

NBG to me as I wanted to make dishes like pre-cooked mac and cheese in them, for them to be cooked in an conventional oven at a later date so that they would have a nice crusty top. :roll2: .

I shall use them to store cooked food like risottos for reheating in a microwave instead.

I don't have very large noodle soup bowls at my home, and shall get some now that I have room to store them, as I do like a nice big bowl of noodle soup when it is wet, cold and horrible outside.

DK :))

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although the Portmeirion in theory is fine in the oven, I too would hesitate to use it in the oven as it is a lot of money to waste if it cracks!

Good point!!! I'm in love with this bowl already. So flowery! All my life I've wanted to eat Viet noodles out of a flowery bowl!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good point!!! I'm in love with this bowl already. So flowery! All my life I've wanted to eat Viet noodles out of a flowery bowl!

I am a plain white person at home, and have a few blue and white rice bowls and spoons.

If I were to get some big bowls, they would need to be white or blue and white.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love Pyrex
mum had all this really pretty1960s stuff from her wedding that hardly got used ....until microwaves arrived here in the early 80s
i only have the basic jugs but its briliant stuff and its still made in the USA

this morning i was making mousetraps for breakfast
its just grated cheese on toast with bacon bits baked hard in the oven

i don't have a tray with my oven as we got our oven 2nd hand - it had hardly been used, from a holiday home - we had had to replace the dishwasher and the cook top plus we had just put in infinity hot water so the budget didn't stretch to a new oven as well
unfortnatly the instruction book had been lost - why don't people take more care to keep these safe ?! and .... im getting to the point ... it didn't come with any trays or its roasting dish
so i only have like a cookie sheet instead of a full oven tray and i was feeling hungry and thought we needed an extra mosetrap each so i used an oval oven to table dinner plate
but the oven was already hot and i took the plate out of a cold dishwasher
its just Tamuka pottery which is a popular NZ made earthen wear brand, but its mum's set

phew
all was ok

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results