shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought ring, now how do I get her to stop looking?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Apollo840

Rough_Rock
I think this seems to be the best location for getting some good suggestions. We have been reading price scope a lot lately and last week I took my knowledge and bought a beautiful ring. The problem is, she doesnt know yet and wants to go looking still. Not only that, she wants to go to the same store where I just bought her ring at. If we go, I am worried she will begin to start imagining the other rings in the store, and wont be as excited once I give her this one.

How can I suggest we not look at rings and diamonds anymore without giving away that I have already made a purchase? Or do I just go along?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Hide the ring really well (maybe at a relatives house?) and go along with her to scope a few, if you can stand it.

Do we get a peek???
31.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Tell her a small fib like "unexpected bills mean that you''ll have to put off a ring purchase for another couple of months, and you don''t want to feel depressed by looking knowing you can''t afford to spend this week"
2.gif

How long do you need before you''re ready to propose?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with PP! Just make her think it''s farther off, and shopping more may be "jumping the gun".

How thoughtful of you, by the way! Kudos, and we love pictures of rings
3.gif

CNOS128

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked together already?
Tell her you know a lot about what she likes, and you''d like to surprise her with a ring that you choose.

Apollo840

Rough_Rock
Great suggestions, thanks!
1.gif

No pictures yet, I want her to be the first to see it
2.gif

Plus she reads on here too so I dont want her to come across this post and recognize anything (hence my faily vague posts)

I think a proposal will come within a month roughly so I need about that much time. She knows its coming at some point since we have been looking at this site together and discussing rings. I just want the ring and timeframe to be a surprise. She sure is making it difficult though. In reality, it wouldnt be the end of the world if she found out I bought it, but I sure would love to keep it a surprise.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm then I would just tell her that you REALLY want to make this special and a surprise for her, that you think you have some good ideas and you just need time to develop them/make final choices.

As nice as you can, tell her to back off and let you do your thing! Haha, I am SURE you are not the only LIW''s FFI to feel this way! I am a control freak but if I were her I would understand if you asked me to let you take the reins.

Good luck!!

Apollo840

Rough_Rock
Thats a good idea. She knows I know what she wants, so I should just tell her I want to go my own way from now on.

Wow, its a tough balance trying to keep a secret when you know shes excited, and when you are so excited with a ring burning a hole in your pocket too.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:36:05 PM
Author: Bia
Hide the ring really well (maybe at a relatives house?) and go along with her to scope a few, if you can stand it.

Do we get a peek???
31.gif
I agree! And if you can''t stand it anymore, just don''t go into the store. Divert her somehow...

I know how you feel though, everytime I go into my fav. jewelry store, I always end up looking at rings and falling in love with them over and over again. I have 2 in particular that I love. Just don''t know which one I love more than the other so when I see them, my head goes spinning. lol

Keepingthefaith21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:58:22 PM
Author: Apollo840
Thats a good idea. She knows I know what she wants, so I should just tell her I want to go my own way from now on.

Wow, its a tough balance trying to keep a secret when you know shes excited, and when you are so excited with a ring burning a hole in your pocket too.

See that ladies, he DOES exist!

havernell

Brilliant_Rock
Since you mentioned that your girlfriend reads Pricescope, what if she reads this thread (and all of the "lines" people have suggested you give her) and then you use one of those lines on her? Isn''t she then going to know it''s you who posted this??

I just don''t want you to get caught unwittingly...

wishinpink

Brilliant_Rock
How about, you go ring shopping with her, but insist on driving! Then instead of driving her to the ring store, drive to some other location and PROPOSE! tada! no more ring burning hole in your pocket, and she won''t suspect a thing! =D

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Well, propose already! What other answer is there?
20.gif
3.gif

Apollo840

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 6:53:40 PM
Author: havernell
Since you mentioned that your girlfriend reads Pricescope, what if she reads this thread (and all of the ''lines'' people have suggested you give her) and then you use one of those lines on her? Isn''t she then going to know it''s you who posted this??

I just don''t want you to get caught unwittingly...

I dont think she really reads LIW much, plus I figure all your great advice is worth the risk
35.gif

Apollo840

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 12:38:15 AM
Author: rosebud10
How about, you go ring shopping with her, but insist on driving! Then instead of driving her to the ring store, drive to some other location and PROPOSE! tada! no more ring burning hole in your pocket, and she won''t suspect a thing! =D

Thats a great idea! I guess I should include that it still has to appraised and sized so it will still be a little while before I can pop the question

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/1/2009 5:58:22 PM
Author: Apollo840

You are just the sweetest!

I definitely agree with the girls saying to tell her you want to take the lead from here. But don''t make her (and us!) wait too long to see it. People can get a little anxious in these here parts.
2.gif

KatM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 1:54:34 AM
Author: mscushion
Well, propose already! What other answer is there?
20.gif
3.gif

yes, this is exactly what i was thinking
9.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I don''t agree with telling her that unexpected bills came up and you won''t be ring shopping for a while. If she''s truly a LIW, that will translate into "I''m not ready to marry you right now" and she can possibly take that to mean you''ll never propose.

I''m in favor of proposing sooner rather than later. If there are things to be done before you propose, then just indulge her quest to find a ring. Look at diamonds with her and show interest. If she wants to stop into a store, check things out with her. I doubt she would ask that you buy the ring in front of her but in case she does, just say that you''d like to make the purchase by yourself because it feels more romantic that way or something to that extent. Sometimes just having your guy show that he is genuinely interested in shopping for the engagement ring can make a LIW feel better about the progress of the relationship.

Best of luck!

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
I think you still need to take her ring shopping so she doesn't catch on! My husband had the ring for a month before he proposed. Every time we went to the mall, HE suggested that go into stores to look around. I am glad he did because that fact that we were still looking convince me that he didn't have the ring yet.

We knew we would not be getting a ring from the mall stores, but we always just to get different ideas of settings. So act like nothing is different! Suffer just a little while longer!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts exactly! And when she gets all confused when you go somewhere else, just say, "We don''t need to go shopping--I''ve picked one out for you already!"
2.gif

Izzy03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 11:53:12 AM
Author: gwendolyn

My thoughts exactly! And when she gets all confused when you go somewhere else, just say, ''We don''t need to go shopping--I''ve picked one out for you already!''
2.gif

Wow, that is brilliant!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha! The solution that immediately popped into my head has already been offered...PROPOSE NOW! Why wait a month? You have the ring, she''s chomping at the bit...do it!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I hate to break it to you, but... look around, a true PSer never stops looking
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I hate to say it. but- She''s a girl. She loves diamonds. She''s gonna look. I''m already married and I still look at rings every day!! Drives my hubby nuts sometimes, but it''s my "thing"!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh, this reminds me of when I got engaged, DH bought my ring already- I didnt know it, and the day of the proposal... i told him that i want to go to another shop... but he proposed that day anyways (already planned) so hmmm, how long until you are going to propose? I'm sure she will be ecstatic, as I was even though I thought I might have changed my mind.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2009 9:04:50 AM
Author: Tuckins1
I hate to say it. but- She''s a girl. She loves diamonds. She''s gonna look. I''m already married and I still look at rings every day!! Drives my hubby nuts sometimes, but it''s my ''thing''!
ditto this too... DH is nuts already
9.gif

Apollo840

Rough_Rock
She said YES!

She wanted me to post this since I am more addicted to this forum than she is, so here it goes.

Over Memorial day week, we went on a week long trip up from Southern California to Northern California, and parts of Oregon, but the important part was Crater Lake national park. On Tuesday, we packed a picnic and bottle of wine in our backpacks and headed out to Watchman Peak, which has a fantastic view of the lake. Since its still the winter season there, we had to park about 2.7 miles from our destination and walk along the closed road. Once we got to the base of watchman peak, we hopped over the snow drift and put on our snowshoes. We made the long hike up the hill 45 degrees up at some points. When we got to the top we had the whole place to ourselves (since you need snowshoes to get there!) and had our picnic. Near the end I scooted up close to her and started going on and on about how shes my best friend and how much I love her. I probably repeated myself about 5 times since I was so nervous! I eventually stood up, and reached into my pocket for the ring box and she got really excited. I got down on one knee and asked her to marry me and she said yes!!

It was a great location with an amazing view over the lake and it was just the two of us. Afterwards she told me how she had wanted a proposal during a picnic or hike so this ended up being perfect!

Here are a few pictures of us and the ring. Ill probably post the ring pictures only in show me the ring also.

Thanks for all the help PSers!

CIMG6068PS.jpg

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!

Apollo840

Rough_Rock
More pics of the ring.

Its from Singlestone

1920''s
.75 OEC
Platinum setting with a little filigree, piercing and engraving. It has a lot of milgrain but most is worn down and doesn''t really appear in the pictures.

Its got great fire and is a beauty. My fiancee really likes antiques and loves the ring.

CIMG6029PS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results