shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Zircon from Finewater Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I received the zircon earlier this week from Gary after BEG decided to return it (Thanks BEG!
2.gif
)

First up vendor picture:

BlueZirconFWG.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here's the only decent picture I managed to take so far, it still doesn't show the color properly though... I will try again this weekend when I have a bit more time
1.gif

I'm very pleased with the stone, it's beautiful and almost peaceful to look at, although if I am honest I thought it would be just a little darker (is this where I should use the term saturated instead of plain old "darker"?) I guess I will bezel it that should help.

BlueZirconFWG1.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This doesn''t show the color at all but I just found it funky! The stone looks on fire
9.gif

BlueZirconFWG2.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Love the cut and the color! yay! how will you set it?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome cut and color!! I''m so jealous!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I think that is really pretty! I love the cut on the stone!

joy2theworld

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty! What does the stone measure? I''m trying to get an idea for one I''m looking at right now.
Thanks!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Love that fire! How are you going to set it?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well cut zircons are a thing of beauty.
18.gif
30.gif

Its not really recommended to bezel set them as they can be brittle. if you still decide to go that route, make sure whoever does it has a lot of experience.

-A

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful zircon!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous. I love blue zircons.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome cutting on that stone!!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
That is WOW!!!
I love blue zircons! More pics!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the kind words! The cutting really is awesome and I think the fact that stone stone is light in color just highlights all the tiny little facets this stone has.... it really is amazing!!!

I am going to be naughty and sneak away from my desk at work to try and take some pictures of the stone
3.gif

Is it really not recommended to bezel zircon? I have no idea what to do with it yet... my first instict is always to make it a ring but I don''t know if that is a good idea if it''s a softer stone.

Ok, off to try and get some better pictures!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
For occasional wear it''s just fine, but it''s best if you''re more careful when wearing it and if you don''t set it very high above the finger.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don''t wear any of my rings daily and I take them off whenevr I do anything that could potentially damage them.

I''ll have to think about it. I really have NO idea how to set this one.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I love the colour and the cut is amazing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I think the word you are looking for is “saturation”. You can get it set in a ring but it should be an occasional wear ring and in a protective type setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would never bezel a zircon, the chance of chipping it during setting is very high, and I doubt any benchpeople would even want to do that. I do think the nice lighter tone does highlight the extraordinary faceting job on this stone.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautifully faceted portugese cut stone. It is just blazing! All though you may want to be a little cautious as to what type of setting to choose for it.... I don''t think a good jeweler sweats too much when setting these stones...........compared to setting something like an appatite. My jeweler had no problem setting my zircon. It is a little higher set into the setting. I whacked it pretty hard at work the other day and thought for sure I would have chipped the stone.
23.gif
Luckily it didn''t, but I think they are little tougher than we give them credit for.............

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What a great stone!!!!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone :)

I just read that zircon is at 6.5 to 7.5 on the Moh scale...aren't garnets at 7 - 7.5 ? it doesn't seem like such a soft stone to me
33.gif
... TL, you mentioned it was brittle...is that in addition to being a soft(er) stone?

Here are a few more pictures I took
1.gif

outside on my balcony, with sunny spells

IMG_09081.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
4.gif

IMG_0879b.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's not as saturated as this in rl...still a nice picture though
1.gif

IMG_0893b.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
21.gif

IMG_0894b.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
37.gif

IMG_0887b.jpg

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok that''s it for now thanks for looking
2.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The hardness difference may not seem significant to you if you're looking at just numbers, but there are other things about all this to know. Hardness of quartz is 7 on that same scale, and quartz is an element often found in ordinary household dust as well as your common sand. That means that anything that's softer than 7 is prone much more to abrasion by enviromental elements, which can, in the long run, make your stone become full of microscopic scratches that dull the surface and make it less sparkly (but that can be polished off if necessary). And brittleness is even more important when it comes to zircons, since they can chip upon accidental strikes, much more easily than is the case with most stones. That makes them somewhat harder to set into jewellery, but if you have a skilled person in mind, there should be no serious problems (always ask your jeweller if he/she has problems with setting a specific variety of gem you have in mind, just to be safe - and always specify what kind of a stone it is that you want to set).

P. S. I think some garnets are below 7 as well (demantoid).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO talk it over with your jeweler first to get their input on bezeling it. Zircon can be brittle and can make bezel setting quite a nightmare. Trust me, no two pieces are alike, so you may be able to safely bezel this stone. But, there''s nothing more stomach dropping than to get a call from your jewler saying that your stone split in two.
23.gif

Garnet isnt brittle like zircons so that plus higher up on Mohs scale makes it pretty safe for almost any setting.

but you have to do you, KWIM?

-A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results